3 replies to this topic

#1 Guerrilla

Guerrilla

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:50 AM

Hi,

First time with grain bags and fruiting blocks. Got grain bags about 50% after first shake/massage. Lion's Mane, Kings and Golden Oysters. They all have a plenum of air, so naturally I'd assume the fruiting blocks would have one while colonizing - just wanted to check first.

Also, I'd definitely go with top fruiting for kings. But seen a mixture of slits / top fruiting for GOs and LM, not sure what works better. I'm giving away 10-15 of the fruiting blocks to family and friends so whatever is easiest for best results. I'll just be giving them a block or two each and a mini spritzer. Any particular advice / guidelines I should give them other than to keep out of direct sunlight?

Cheers.

EDIT:

Wondering how much the amount of grain used to inoculate fruiting blocks affects growth. I assume the more used then it'd colonize much faster, but how big is the yield difference between 1/4 quart and an entire quart? How far can I stretch grain while maintaining at least a first great flush?

Edited by Guerrilla, 15 April 2021 - 04:41 AM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,599 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:31 AM

I can't tell you an exact percentage increase in yield but if you use more spawn, you will see bigger yields...

#3 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 370 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:17 PM

I have used a whole quart of WBS or Oats for a block and it's overkill, but will colonize VERY fast.  I currently use a half a jar per block(5.2 lbs usually) and if spread out properly, they recover fast.  I have grown all three of the above species and I would Case the King Oysters, slice on top for LM and Oysters.  I have fruited LM by cutting the bag and it works, but it's a PITA to harvest fruits with an open block surface area.  Much easier to harvest fruits with a slice on the top or side.  All the Best!

P1090100.JPG

My favorite mushroom to grow and eat, I pulled 3 flushes in a Martha, and two Outside.

The texture and flavor is amazing.   :biggrin:

Edited by MushLuvR, 30 April 2021 - 06:18 PM.

#4 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2021 - 12:24 AM

I use 1 pint of spawn for my Oysters and Lion's Mane to 8 pints of substrate (usually masters mix). I have taken it as far as 1 : 16 with great success, colonization time increased slightly (which was fine for me because I was busy) and the difference in yield was negligible.

• MushLuvR likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!