• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 HawksTwelfth

HawksTwelfth

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:42 PM

So I joined this forum to get advice when my fully automated Mono Tub wasn't going according to plan.

Well after learning I made things way to hard and my fan was drying out my tub I sealed up the holes and reset the Tub back to pins stage.

I am happy to report I am back to a fruiting stage and this time looking much better, little more circulation is needed as I am getting slight fuzzy feet on one of them but I am adjusting now to dial in.

up close.jpg colony.jpg

thanks for everyone help it looks like it is paying off.

I am going to be starting my own grain spawn as well, let me know what you guys think of my jars I just finished, along with any tips for using Millet and using an instant pot pressure cooker.

jars.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• side.jpg

Edited by HawksTwelfth, 15 April 2021 - 10:42 PM.

#2 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 12:12 AM

Good deal!

Isn't it a sweet victory when it finally starts growing right?
  • HawksTwelfth likes this

#3 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 581 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:57 AM

Lol, you only need one SHIP per lid for grain spawn.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the upside down lid for grain spawn as well. I'd use one ship installed in the upside down lid, and no filtered breathing holes. Make sure the lid is 1/4 turn loose when you PC (or IP). When it comes out of the IP tighten the lid and shake so the grains aren't one big clump at the bottom. When you inoculate, loosen the lids 1/4 turn again so the mycelium can breathe.

#4 HawksTwelfth

HawksTwelfth

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 12:23 PM

Ok I’ll try one like this. Found some folks saying it helped to spread it around using multiple.

Assuming with you way you still put tinfoil over the top correct to keep moisture from running in? With upside down does it go over or under the ring?

Closing it under the ring may just be an oven bake technique.

Also have you ever tried baking yours I saw some only doing that method.

Thanks as always for the tips!

Lol, you only need one SHIP per lid for grain spawn.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the upside down lid for grain spawn as well. I'd use one ship installed in the upside down lid, and no filtered breathing holes. Make sure the lid is 1/4 turn loose when you PC (or IP). When it comes out of the IP tighten the lid and shake so the grains aren't one big clump at the bottom. When you inoculate, loosen the lids 1/4 turn again so the mycelium can breathe.

• jrh likes this

#5 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 581 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 02:25 PM

Since I'm a fan of the upside down lid, this is what I'd do.

PXL_20210416_190025131.jpg

Assemble your materials

PXL_20210416_190332357 (1).jpg

Punch a hole in the lid, insert the SHIP into the bottom of the lid, place lid on jar upside down so the lid metal is touching the glass instead of the gasket. This allows your growing mycelium to breathe better IMHO than a taped over air hole. Honestly, you could have as many SHIP as you want, but using more than 1 is just more opportunity for contamination. You could put your SHIP closer to the side so you can inoculate with your spore syringe up against the glass. That would probably be an improvement.

PXL_20210416_190345656.jpg

Fill jar w/grain approximately 2/3 - 3/4 full (to allow room for shaking), put the lid on upside down, and screw the ring down.

PXL_20210416_190356311.jpg

Cover with foil. Make sure the ring is 1/4 turn loose before PC, and that it is also 1/4 turn loose during colonization. I typically tighten the lid whenever I'm shaking the jar because, you know, accidents.

If inoculating with a spore syringe, you want to inject the spore water up against the glass if you can, then do NOT shake. When you see a good size patch of mycelium growing, then you can shake. If you're injecting a liquid culture, then you should shake the hell out of the jar after inoculating, then loosen the lid 1/4 turn for colonization.

If I were inoculating G2G or with agar, I'd use an unmodified upside down lid and shake the hell out of it after inoculating.

These are just my opinions, ymmv.

• Oldpunk and HawksTwelfth like this

#6 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:21 PM

I just tried my first grain jars with wild bird seed a couple days ago. Couple from spore syringe. And a couple from liquid culture. I noc'd mine in a glove box though and tried to open the jars for just a split second . I still need to make some custom lids. Thanks for the example jrh
  • jrh and HawksTwelfth like this

#7 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 581 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:36 PM

Glove box, SAB, flowhood, all are good. As long as you have good sterile technique, most people will make a grain master jar, and then use that to inoculate several other jars.

#8 HawksTwelfth

HawksTwelfth

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 07:17 PM

Glove box, SAB, flowhood, all are good. As long as you have good sterile technique, most people will make a grain master jar, and then use that to inoculate several other jars.

What’s that process look like do you wait for one to go then mix that grain with the other jars?
  • jrh likes this

#9 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 581 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 12:40 PM

Yup, that's exactly what the process looks like. You could easily expand 1 pt of colonized grain to 4 qts or maybe 8 qts. I don't usually need more than 4 qts of grain spawn at a time so I've never tried to see how far a pint can go. But yes, prep grains like normal. Take your grain spawn, shake it up like you would if spawning to bulk, under sterile conditions add some spawn to prepped grains and seal. Then shake the hell out of your newly inoculated grains and let colonize.

#10 HawksTwelfth

HawksTwelfth

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:54 PM

Yup, that's exactly what the process looks like. You could easily expand 1 pt of colonized grain to 4 qts or maybe 8 qts. I don't usually need more than 4 qts of grain spawn at a time so I've never tried to see how far a pint can go. But yes, prep grains like normal. Take your grain spawn, shake it up like you would if spawning to bulk, under sterile conditions add some spawn to prepped grains and seal. Then shake the hell out of your newly inoculated grains and let colonize.

Update, up to 2.5 grams dried. Almost exclusively really small guys but still pumping them out.

Attached Thumbnails

• B55F8E13-013A-4DB9-8056-3BE8F85F7ED0.jpeg
  • 2D626223-2782-46F1-8AF3-9B7D596F9F8B.jpeg

#11 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:31 PM

Hmm. You went straight to the capsules. I just ordered some myself. I've been taking about a 1/2g every couple days as a homegrown anti depressant and figured the capsules might be easier to regulate that dosage. There's been a few days where I definitely passed my low dose.

Hope they work out when you get a chance to try them.

#12 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:42 PM

One quick question. How much water are you spraying. If they staying small it might still be a bit dry. Or too wet I suppose. There's a fine line there and I've definitely overdone it both direction myself.

It looks like if you try another one a bit heavier on the spawn you're gonna be golden now that your getting your climate dialed in. You getting there.

I took me to my 3rd batch/syringe to actually feel I got a good grow.

#13 HawksTwelfth

HawksTwelfth

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 02:06 PM

Yes went straight  to the capsules because it regulates the dosage and my father is in the same boat he is antidepressant resistant and has had a tough time getting a steady supply which is why I started to grow mostly for him.

Also i thought since they were growing so small it was taking me a long time to build up a supply so once dried I smashed and put in capsules so it has one more layer between it and any new oxygen.

I am spraying sides of tub twice to three times a day depending on if it looks dry. 

I will say I got some bigger ones when I was soaking the actual substrate but I was also encouraging growth of other stuff like this light film covering some of my guys that immediately rubs off the second you touch it.

I think i have limited expectations for this grow at this point, I know I have side pinning going on since I painted the tub instead of using a liner (been told the liner prevents microclimates from forming and starting the fruiting process below the soil, I drilled way to large and too many holes and not in the right places limiting my airflow (I am fanning three times a day every 8 hours or so setting a fan on top running air across the top of the tub not directly on the substrate/mushrooms).

All in all after reading about so many peoples first grows being a complete bust or only getting 6 grams wet I feel ok about my 25 grams wet so far considering its still going strong with new guys popping up daily.

One thing is they are so small I am having to harvest twice a day to get them before the open up and break the veil, most of the time they are opening before I get to them as it is an extremely small window from large enough to that veil breaking.

I also think it has been too cold in my room, someone told me room temp was fine for everything but they seem to grow larger at the higher end temperatures. 

Let me know if you have any thoughts on my process as described above.

Thanks!

Hmm. You went straight to the capsules. I just ordered some myself. I've been taking about a 1/2g every couple days as a homegrown anti depressant and figured the capsules might be easier to regulate that dosage. There's been a few days where I definitely passed my low dose.

Hope they work out when you get a chance to try them.

#14 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:49 PM

Mine are at about 75 degrees and I spray the container and also a couple sprays onto the substrate. After spraying them I fan with the lid until the mushrooms are dry. I found that if I didn't spray the sub a bit some of the bigger ones will stall. But I think you gotta make sure to fan until the fruits are dry.

Did you save any spore prints or clones from the bigger ones? I'm at that stage where I am about to grow a batch from my own collected samples. Pretty exciting stuff.

#15 HawksTwelfth

HawksTwelfth

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:51 PM

Still so new never done a spore print in general, I guess I should try so I can preserve the genetics incase it turns out I really like these.

I will have to look on here for some guidance and possibly watch some YouTube videos.

Mine are at about 75 degrees and I spray the container and also a couple sprays onto the substrate. After spraying them I fan with the lid until the mushrooms are dry. I found that if I didn't spray the sub a bit some of the bigger ones will stall. But I think you gotta make sure to fan until the fruits are dry.

Did you save any spore prints or clones from the bigger ones? I'm at that stage where I am about to grow a batch from my own collected samples. Pretty exciting stuff.

#16 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:09 PM

That way you don't have to pay for another syringe...
It's pretty easy. Making a clone to liquid culture is too.

I found this guy to be pretty easy to follow even though I've been told some of the techniques are not the best.

[Direct Link]

#17 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 975 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 10:47 PM

Watching a few minutes of that video and of course he grabs the chunk off his glove...Philly....jawn...You don't need actual chunks of mush to clone. I've had great success just stabbing the mushroom on my clean internal tissue then stabbing agar, myc is smaller the you can see...What's even better is a sterile syringe a few mLs of water. Poke that sterile mush then inject that syringe with invisible myc into some LC. 

Still so new never done a spore print in general, I guess I should try so I can preserve the genetics incase it turns out I really like these.

Don't over think it. Cut or twist the stem so the cap is sitting on some foil. Cover cap with anything shotglass, cup or glass, jar etc. If you want to be anal do that in your SAB. Forget about it over night if you want a dark dark print. I like to wait 3-4 hours check how she's looking and then move to a new foil and let print 6-12 hours. Just fold the foil neatly and place in a bag. Store somewhere dark and consistent temperature (cabinet, drawer, etc). 

I like sterilizing q-tips/cotton swabs wrapped in foil then placed in a jar or plastic container resin code 5 (PP) in my PC for 20 minutes and then just swabbing the gills (no waiting, I'm never sterile about it)

Edited by rockyfungus, 22 April 2021 - 10:58 PM.

#18 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 12:21 AM

..What's even better is a sterile syringe a few mLs of water. Poke that sterile mush then inject that syringe with invisible myc into some LC. 
)

I like this LC route.
Gonna have to try that one.

#19 HawksTwelfth

HawksTwelfth

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for the tips.

Just doing my best to not get too ahead of myself again.

Update - I increased the temperature in my space and it seems to be helping produce larger fruit bodies as the new small guys have fatter stumps. Fingers crossed!

Edited by HawksTwelfth, 23 April 2021 - 12:29 PM.

#20 HawksTwelfth

HawksTwelfth

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 01:53 PM

Update. This is what I have on top of the 2.5 I already have dried crushed and in pills.

Upped the temperature in my room and seems to be increasing fruit size some.

Attached Thumbnails

• F736BE71-D763-455F-B3B2-5925618A8DA9.jpeg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!