• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Salem

Salem

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:48 PM

I have heard from a few sources that after a lightning storm Mushrooms start to pop up in larger quantities. Just curious if anyone has experimented before with lightning/eletricity?

I'll be running a few experiments with a Tesla coil myself soon - I'll be seeing you in the mad scientist section!

salem-the-cat-embed03.gif

Edited by Salem, 18 April 2021 - 07:48 PM.

• Skywatcher and makinbones69 like this

#2 Frost

Frost

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 07:45 PM

From what I understand this is an ancient roman belief. I would be also interested to know if it's plausible. Maybe the burnt ozone stimulates growth....just speculating :)

#3 4sporeand7flushes

4sporeand7flushes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:34 PM

I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with rain. :wink:

• coorsmikey, Salem, FLASHINGROOSTER and 1 other like this

#4 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:41 PM

This is a documented effect in the scientific literature, particular relating to shiitake cultivation. Looking on google scholar for "mushrooms lightning" turns up a fair number of papers; for example this paper shows that simulated lightning strikes a few meters away from shiitake logs almost doubled yields.

You might want to use a Marx generator or similar instead of a Tesla coil to have greater control over the discharges. Dunno how much it matters, would be interesting to see your results with cubensis...

• coorsmikey, Salem, Auhron and 1 other like this

#5 4sporeand7flushes

4sporeand7flushes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 10:18 PM

Hmm.  I was going to build a taser out of an HID headlight kit I got for a motorcycle that I sold, I wonder if that would provide enough juice for a measurable effect.

• Salem likes this

#6 Salem

Salem

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:53 AM

This is a documented effect in the scientific literature, particular relating to shiitake cultivation. Looking on google scholar for "mushrooms lightning" turns up a fair number of papers; for example this paper shows that simulated lightning strikes a few meters away from shiitake logs almost doubled yields.

You might want to use a Marx generator or similar instead of a Tesla coil to have greater control over the discharges. Dunno how much it matters, would be interesting to see your results with cubensis...

Good suggestion, I was actually looking into building a Marx generator as they create bigger Arks. I'm being a little lazy and trying the Tesla coil first though because you can get them pre-built off amazon & ebay :biggrin: .  

• 4sporeand7flushes likes this

#7 Salem

Salem

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 11:07 AM

Just a little update - I was able to to create some eletrical arks for my fruiting chamber

[Direct Link]

Thread will be updated in the Mad Scientist section from now on: https://mycotopia.ne...ents-lightning/

Edited by Salem, 21 May 2021 - 01:12 PM.

#8 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 04:56 PM

If creating ozone is the goal, you could also buy an ozone generator like this one. It has many uses around the house and ranch for deodorizing and for killing airborne spores and pathogens. 

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#9 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 07:22 PM

ozone will damage and kill your cultures in certain quantity

Edited by sandman, 24 May 2021 - 07:23 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!