• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guerrilla

Guerrilla

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 03:14 AM

Okay so I’ve seen people spawn to tubs, flip to FC after 10 days, pins in 5, harvest in 5.

I have 6 tubs. Here’s the plan:

Colonised grains in 10 days
Spawn 3 of 6 tubs
FC at 10 days, spawn remaining 3 tubs & inoculate grains
Harvest first 3 and FC other 3 both @ 10 days, clean first tubs out and spawn 3 more
Harvest second tubs and FC newly spawned at 10 days, spawn 3 more and inoculate more grains repeating the process

Is this likely to work? Would it better off in fruiting conditions at the time of spawn?

#2 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:40 AM

everyone I know fruiting conditions at spawn. 

Also mushrooms dont care about your schedule. They aren't a train. There's no way you are going to work this out like you are planning all neat and prim on a timeline.

• Myc, kcmoxtractor, Jrotten and 3 others like this

#3 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,459 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:21 AM

I don’t put anything in fruiting when I spawn, but I have a high spore load. I’d have green mold before colonization. The clockwork fruiting idea isn’t going to happen. Certainly not to start. I can get pretty close with something like Pan cyans on a small scale but two trays might not even pin on the same day. Extrapolate that to cubes with their longer fruiting cycle and “close” is likely to be 5-7 days difference.

With all the parameters ever in flux, from temperature, strain, individual colony, hydration... if you’re asking a question like this, I’m guessing you just need more experience all the way around. I can AVERAGE 7-10-5 with some species, but I still have to tend every tray separately and that’s in the same fruiting chamber.

You can find a reliable strain that will give you fairly reliable results for your particular conditions. But no one can tell you what that will be. You’ll have to figure it out and tell us what’s happening for you after several grows and dialing in. Consistency is tougher than success.
  • sandman and adrian118 like this

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:45 AM

Like Mr. sandman... Mine go directly into fruiting conditions as soon as I spawn. They aren't going to start fruiting until the nutrient source has been fully colonized.

Jrotten, I don't see how spore load has much to do with whether it will colonize prior to contamination. When you mix your spawn with your substrate, unless you are doing it in front of a flow hood, there are plenty of spores getting in there from your environment. A lot of the people I speak with colonize at room temperature and fruit at room temperature. I am assuming that you are incubating to speed up colonization times due to your spore load. Raising temps for colonization can increase contamination risk just as easily as help you avoid it since a lot of contams thrive at higher temps.

If you have a high spore load, your best available tool for combating that is using more spawn.

Edited by PJammer24, 19 April 2021 - 09:48 AM.

• coorsmikey and Jrotten like this

#5 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,459 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:56 PM

I have to use a hood. I have a whole write up about how I have to do it. Cubes and semperviva are less of a problem. Which is odd because pans run so fast. But pans contaminate fast. And they don’t do well with heavy spawn rates, I might just suck as a grower, but I have a challenging grow environment. It’s basically outdoors in a dirty garage of a house I’ve been gutting room by room because of water damage all located 20 feet from a roping arena where steers and horses run around in the dirt kicking up dust. I only grow one strain of cubes that I try to improve for fun. Mostly I try to grow new species and different pans. This is my method for growing pans to beat the green.

https://mycotopia.ne...ns-for-dummies/

Edited by Jrotten, 19 April 2021 - 08:16 PM.

#6 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:43 PM

The part that I see missing is a isolated clone that you have atleast I complete cycle from spawn to bulk, to pin and to fruit. That will give you a much better "guesstimate" as to how your grows will play out. Cloning in the cannibis world allows me to say with complete certainty that the crop will be ready in 58 days and the final weight will be the same or better then the previous crop.
I believe you are on a good track but untill you have isolated the genetics your after, each grow will be a guessing game in terms of timing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#7 Guerrilla

Guerrilla

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:31 AM

everyone I know fruiting conditions at spawn. 

Also mushrooms dont care about your schedule. They aren't a train. There's no way you are going to work this out like you are planning all neat and prim on a timeline.

Thanks buddy I'll start doing this. Yeah, you are absolutely right. Rather than a direct plan it's more of a rough timeline I'd like to aim for. I figured when LCs and envrionment are consistent you could eventually time them fairly well.

I don’t put anything in fruiting when I spawn, but I have a high spore load. I’d have green mold before colonization. The clockwork fruiting idea isn’t going to happen. Certainly not to start. I can get pretty close with something like Pan cyans on a small scale but two trays might not even pin on the same day. Extrapolate that to cubes with their longer fruiting cycle and “close” is likely to be 5-7 days difference.

With all the parameters ever in flux, from temperature, strain, individual colony, hydration... if you’re asking a question like this, I’m guessing you just need more experience all the way around. I can AVERAGE 7-10-5 with some species, but I still have to tend every tray separately and that’s in the same fruiting chamber.

You can find a reliable strain that will give you fairly reliable results for your particular conditions. But no one can tell you what that will be. You’ll have to figure it out and tell us what’s happening for you after several grows and dialing in. Consistency is tougher than success.

You're definitely correct, I do need more experience when it comes to actually growing. I only have a few grows under my belt (not to say I don't know what I'm doing - I know a lot about this subject and don't struggle with contamination, I G2G, LC2LC, use agar with strong rhizomorphic results, can pretty much do anything required in this hobby off the top off my head - it's just putting all of that into play for the results I'd like. I don't mean to sound bigheaded, just making it aware l'm not a total noob going way out of their zone). I'm just thinking ahead to the future and seeing what's possible - this is what I want to work towards. I don't expect it to come easy or any time soon, or even that I'll definitely pull it off. I'll be sure to document my attempts once I start isolating faster genetics and working with LC in higher amounts. At this point I've only been using small amount of LCs for making gourmet fruiting blocks.

Regarding strain and environmental factors, I'll be running around 9 strains a month at 3 locations so I'm sure some decent genetics I can isolate will come along soon. Thanks for your reply. :)

The part that I see missing is a isolated clone that you have atleast I complete cycle from spawn to bulk, to pin and to fruit. That will give you a much better "guesstimate" as to how your grows will play out. Cloning in the cannibis world allows me to say with complete certainty that the crop will be ready in 58 days and the final weight will be the same or better then the previous crop.
I believe you are on a good track but untill you have isolated the genetics your after, each grow will be a guessing game in terms of timing.

Thanks man, appreciate the reply. Just saw this after writing the above 2, this is definitely the plan as briefly mentioned above. A lil way off but it's on the list!

#8 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:57 AM

Is there a difference in yield when fruiting at spawn versus letting it colonize in the inc ? I might’ve asked that before . I just moved to a place with a much higher spore load and had a few tubs turn green after inc but that could’ve been from a suspect spawn jar. The last two tubs I had were Snow White . Any wait to get back and check on them ?

Also do you use a casing layer when doing a fruiting at spawn or apple one later, not at all ?

#9 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,893 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:22 PM

Okay so I’ve seen people spawn to tubs, flip to FC after 10 days, pins in 5, harvest in 5.

I have 6 tubs. Here’s the plan:

Colonised grains in 10 days
Spawn 3 of 6 tubs
FC at 10 days, spawn remaining 3 tubs & inoculate grains
Harvest first 3 and FC other 3 both @ 10 days, clean first tubs out and spawn 3 more
Harvest second tubs and FC newly spawned at 10 days, spawn 3 more and inoculate more grains repeating the process

Is this likely to work? Would it better off in fruiting conditions at the time of spawn?

If you want it on that kind of a schedule you gotta get ALL your parameters within razor thin margins.

Data = Repeatability

No more than 2 degree temperature fluctuation during incubation.

Exactly 50% moisture content w/spawn, 60% on sub.

Clones or isolates with a book of data correlating colonization/fruiting times, temperature, inoculation rate, RH, yield, etc. Literally everything that happens needs to be written down with notes on parameters at that moment.

Look less to force things in YOUR time frame, and more to plan your work around 10 day intervals. If spawn needs 12 days, plan the 12 days in your 10 day harvest interval.

It's absolutely possible, it just requires you to put in the work. Mushroom growing is science, not art. Treat it like science!

I would also like to say that if you get a contamination before first flush that's due to contaminated spawn. Spore loads during colonization mean nothing if your sub is processed then inoculated properly.

Edited by kcmoxtractor, 20 April 2021 - 02:26 PM.

• Sidestreet and Mycol like this

#10 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 02:02 PM

I would also like to add I use a 90 page lab notebook I dedicate 1 page per day this is how I record my data and track notable events. This is not the answere you were after but when you get the problem solved it will be of great use!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!