#1 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,107 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:56 PM

Got my Cyans syringe yesterday. Waiting for my agar dishes to get here, and going to inoculate 6 of them with the Cyan syringe. Thinking I will dilute it by half or so because it is BLACK with spores. I also ordered a couple of Cubensis syringes to make another run at a couple of bulk subs with them, and those are what I will use the last 4 dishes for. I also ordered 10 lbs of rye berries for a good starter package. Still looking for a good deal on a pressure cooker, but if I don't find one I will buy a new one, as I feel that was the weak spot in my former attempts. My neighbors have horses, and being this time of year I think I might score some horse manure to use to spawn to bulk with. Horse manure was amazing as a bulk substrate in the good ones I came off with in the past. The temps are right, the time if year is right, hopefully I will do well with all of them. Wish me luck. I will share it all the way from start to finish. 

Once I get good agar samples going I will make LC's so I have more to play with and can keep it going. THAT is the plan

Edited by Coopdog, 22 April 2021 - 09:57 PM.

• Sidestreet, Arathu, Skywatcher and 6 others like this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 8,869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2021 - 04:56 AM

Subscribed!  Looking forward to it.

#3 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 08:51 PM

Can't wait to see the results.

Good luck.

#4 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,107 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:24 AM

So looking into LC basics on here, I am seeing a LOT of serious issues with this strategy. I thought it was a lot less problematic, and easy way to go, but the first half dozen threads or so I looked at had all sorts of problems, and the main thing that stuck was to start 6-7 and hope for one that is not contaminated... hmmmm that is not the kind of tutorials I was looking for, and thinking I will just go with the agar dishes and spawn more from there. Any input is all appreciated. I think my agar plates and 10 lbs of rye berries is waiting for me Monday at the Post office. 

EDIT: I think I will just go buy a pressure cooker Monday at the store rather than ebay. Shipping is ridiculous. 

Edited by Coopdog, 26 April 2021 - 03:25 AM.

• Arathu and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#5 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 8,869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:44 AM

I had a lot of issues with LC until I realized I was cooking them for too long and had too much sugar.  I still had trouble recently when I tried LME LC for the first time.  I still think they're good but if you are doing agar and grain, you could probably skip the LCs if you want.  On the other hand, if you're doing agar to LC you'll probably have better luck than I did.

• Coopdog likes this

#6 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 294 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:45 AM

I have great success with LC's. Go with what works for you! It does have it's drawbacks, like being unable to see most contaminants. I have a jar of LC for my oyster culture that I've been drawing from 5cc's at a time for the last 6 months, still going strong. I'd call it's ease of inoculation and the reduced need to go back to agar as frequently it's main draws for me.

• Sidestreet and Coopdog like this

#7 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,459 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 10:01 AM

2% sugar and start on agar. If you have a hood LC is pretty easy. Having said that I haven’t messed with one in a minute. They’re great and store well, but starting with absolutely clean culture is paramount

#8 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,107 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the input. I will definitely be starting on Agar for sure. Got my plates and rye berries today, wondering where the hell my syringes are. Got the Cyan syringe, but not the cubes. 

• Sidestreet likes this

#9 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,107 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:38 PM

Got my agar plates and my Cyans syringe, but never got my cubensis. Contacted the seller, but since I never got a confirmation email, I went ahead and re-ordered. Bought one of Hawaiian PES, and one of Equadorian, and one of Mazatapec syringes. I saw where I had sent them 27 bucks at some point, but not sure my order ever got confirmed. I have confirmation on these ones, so hoping I get some action here soon.

#10 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:58 PM

I made some LC at the same time as agar plates and a couple tester jars from each syringe. I don't have a lot of experience yet but I think it's a great option and super easy.

But im a noob and haven't learned better yet.
  • Coopdog likes this

#11 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 01:22 AM

I was just looking through my LC jars. Out of 10 jars. Only 1 looks like it's got issues. I'm about to test 4 of them on grain jars tomorrow.

Here's what 9 of them look like.
20210430_011008_GIF.gif

And then there's the funky one.
20210430_010433.gif

#12 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,107 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:53 AM

So i got some wood pellets and thought I had someone recommend them in here, guess I was wrong. I plan on hydrating the hickory/alder pellets, then pasteurizing them somehow or another. Wondering if it is best to pasteurize in a 180 degree oven, or better to pasteurize the medium and then toss it in a bag, or if I should cooler pasteurize the pellets in an old pillowcase, then drain to field capacity overnight then go to the bags, any help is appreciated. Time is passing and I don't have a pressure cooker yet and still waiting on my cubensis syringes. Planning on starting the cyans to agar, but found my agar dishes to be very fucking fragile and cracked two of them getting them out of the tight packaging, so don't have as many as I planned on. 

EDIT: I have come to find that the search function gives me way too much info to sort through and hard to find simple step by step techs. Too many chiefs in a way, so please bear with me if I ask what most would consider dumb questions. I am starting with the woodlovers I reckon since I am still waiting for the cubies. 

Edited by Coopdog, 03 May 2021 - 02:57 AM.

#13 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 8,869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:30 AM

Here are some woodlover links that may help:

https://mycotopia.ne...e-2#entry691903

https://mycotopia.ne...exotic-roundup/

• Coopdog likes this

#14 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,729 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:05 AM

Think about how the organism grows.....so the TEK's are all some basic form of the same thing right?

Spores -> (germinating substrate, agar, whole grain(s), grain flour(s), LC's, and etc) -> spawn substrate -> fruiting substrate

IMHO get the PC and study one of the grain TEK's (hydration and your jars/lids, filter bags are OK too but start with jars), work on getting clean grain spawn (which could be your path forward with woodies and cubes).......getting a sterile spawn run will help you greatly (in fact I would say it's critical to learn to do this).....

Once the cyans are running the grain(s) and have colonized them 100% you move to creating wood chip spawn and it basically become a matter of time and conditions afterwards. P. cyan is quite aggressive actually.......

I never liked LC much myself and find rye berries to be a good all around place to start for spawn. Many grains work just fine....the PC and understanding sterilization, aseptic technique, and getting consistent with it takes things to another level entirely....... Keep asking questions..........

Good vibes coming atcha.....

A

• Coopdog and ElPirana like this

#15 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,107 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:49 PM

I have to go out today and find a notary anyhow, I will stop by Tractor Supply and see what they have for pressure cookers. Coming into canning season so I might get lucky and find something on sale. I have some Rye berry bags, might as well use them for the cyans and get something started one way or the other. 

• Sidestreet likes this

#16 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,107 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:43 PM

So today I went into my wife's office, there has been very little movement in there in a month and a half as she has been back east. I sprayed down the desk area with lysol, scrubbed my hands in 91% alcohol. I had a clean new 2 gallon ziplock into which I put 4 agar dishes in that I had just wiped down with the 91% alcohol as well. Sterilized the needle and opened the dishes through the bag, only putting the needle tip in and leaving my hand out as much as possible and put a cc or so in each one. 

I also had two bags of pasteurized rye berries that I purchased for cubies, but since the cubes have not shown up yet, I innoculated them with the remainder, which was most of the spores as they had clumped together and stubbornly refused to break up. I sterilized the needle between each container all the way through. Hopefully the agar dishes will come out clean as I was very careful to make the whole thing as clean as possible. Didn't go into town today, but tomorrow I will pick up some half pint jars and a pressure cooker and go forward with good ol PF tek to get my cubensis going. I also have 4 more agar plates to try to get going when the cubensis gets here. 

Fingers crossed...

• Sidestreet, Arathu, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#17 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,107 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 08:22 PM

Turned on a small heater in there to help with germination. Feels like it's about 80 in there so hoping that will help them to take off. Still no damn cubensis syringes. God I hate ripoff companies. If they don't come I will put them on notice here. I have sent several inquiries the only thing I have gotten back is an automated response saying they often have trouble with credit cards, but I used BITCOIN both times, so they probably didn't even read my customer response note. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!