17 replies to this topic

#1 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2021 - 11:59 AM

Setting up quote boxes doesn't seem to work anymore for me. I can't get anything to format correctly with quote boxes.  Maybe it's operator error. This whole piece can be found at this link: 

I Refuse to Stand By While My Students Are IndoctrinatedChildren are afraid to challenge the repressive ideology that rules our school. That’s why I am.

I am a teacher at Grace Church High School in Manhattan. Ten years ago, I changed careers when I discovered how rewarding it is to help young people explore the truth and beauty of mathematics. I love my work.

As a teacher, my first obligation is to my students. But right now, my school is asking me to embrace “antiracism” training and pedagogy that I believe is deeply harmful to them and to any person who seeks to nurture the virtues of curiosity, empathy and understanding.   

“Antiracist” training sounds righteous, but it is the opposite of truth in advertising. It requires teachers like myself to treat students differently on the basis of race. Furthermore, in order to maintain a united front for our students, teachers at Grace are directed to confine our doubts about this pedagogical framework to conversations with an in-house “Office of Community Engagement” for whom every significant objection leads to a foregone conclusion. Any doubting students are likewise “challenged” to reframe their views to conform to this orthodoxy. 

I know that by attaching my name to this I’m risking not only my current job but my career as an educator, since most schools, both public and private, are now captive to this backward ideology. But witnessing the harmful impact it has on children, I can’t stay silent. 

My school, like so many others, induces students via shame and sophistry to identify primarily with their race before their individual identities are fully formed. Students are pressured to conform their opinions to those broadly associated with their race and gender and to minimize or dismiss individual experiences that don’t match those assumptions. The morally compromised status of “oppressor” is assigned to one group of students based on their immutable characteristics. In the meantime, dependency, resentment and moral superiority are cultivated in students considered “oppressed.”

All of this is done in the name of “equity,” but it is the opposite of fair. In reality, all of this reinforces the worst impulses we have as human beings: our tendency toward tribalism and sectarianism that a truly liberal education is meant to transcend.

Recently, I raised questions about this ideology at a mandatory, whites-only student and faculty Zoom meeting. (Such racially segregated sessions are now commonplace at my school.) It was a bait-and-switch “self-care” seminar that labelled “objectivity,” “individualism,” “fear of open conflict,” and even “a right to comfort” as characteristics of white supremacy. I doubted that these human attributes — many of them virtues reframed as vices — should be racialized in this way. In the Zoom chat, I also questioned whether one must define oneself in terms of a racial identity at all. My goal was to model for students that they should feel safe to question ideological assertions if they felt moved to do so. 

It seemed like my questions broke the ice. Students and even a few teachers offered a broad range of questions and observations. Many students said it was a more productive and substantive discussion than they expected.

However, when my questions were shared outside this forum, violating the school norm of confidentiality, I was informed by the head of the high school that my philosophical challenges had caused “harm” to students, given that these topics were “life and death matters, about people’s flesh and blood and bone.” I was reprimanded for “acting like an independent agent of a set of principles or ideas or beliefs.” And I was told that by doing so, I failed to serve the “greater good and the higher truth.” 

He further informed me that I had created “dissonance for vulnerable and unformed thinkers” and “neurological disturbance in students’ beings and systems.” The school’s director of studies added that my remarks could even constitute harassment.

A few days later, the head of school ordered all high school advisors to read a public reprimand of my conduct out loud to every student in the school. It was a surreal experience, walking the halls alone and hearing the words emitting from each classroom: “Events from last week compel us to underscore some aspects of our mission and share some thoughts about our community,” the statement began. “At independent schools, with their history of predominantly white populations, racism colludes with other forms of bias (sexism, classism, ableism and so much more) to undermine our stated ideals, and we must work hard to undo this history.”

Students from low-income families experience culture shock at our school. Racist incidents happen. And bias can influence relationships. All true. But addressing such problems with a call to “undo history” lacks any kind of limiting principle and pairs any allegation of bigotry with a priori guilt. My own contract for next year requires me to “participate in restorative practices designed by the Office of Community Engagement” in order to “heal my relationship with the students of color and other students in my classes.” The details of these practices remain unspecified until I agree to sign.

I asked my uncomfortable questions in the “self-care” meeting because I felt a duty to my students. I wanted to be a voice for the many students of different backgrounds who have approached me over the course of the past several years to express their frustration with indoctrination at our school, but are afraid to speak up. 

They report that, in their classes and other discussions, they must never challenge any of the premises of our “antiracist” teachings, which are deeply informed by Critical Race Theory. These concerns are confirmed for me when I attend grade-level and all-school meetings about race or gender issues. There, I witness student after student sticking to a narrow script of acceptable responses. Teachers praise insights when they articulate the existing framework or expand it to apply to novel domains. Meantime, it is common for teachers to exhort students who remain silent that “we really need to hear from you.” 

But what does speaking up mean in a context in which white students are asked to interrogate their “white saviorism,” but also “not make their antiracist practice about them”? We are compelling them to tiptoe through a minefield of double-binds. According to the school’s own standard for discursive violence, this constitutes abuse. 

Every student at the school must also sign a “Student Life Agreement,” which requires them to aver that “the world as we understand it can be hard and extremely biased,” that they commit to “recognize and acknowledge their biases when we come to school, and interrupt those biases,” and accept that they will be “held accountable should they fall short of the agreement.” A recent faculty email chain received enthusiastic support for recommending that we “‘officially’ flag students” who appear “resistant” to the “culture we are trying to establish.” 

When I questioned what form this resistance takes, examples presented by a colleague included “persisting with a colorblind ideology,” “suggesting that we treat everyone with respect,” “a belief in meritocracy,” and “just silence.” In a special assembly in February 2019, our head of school said that the impact of words and images perceived as racist — regardless of intent — is akin to “using a gun or a knife to kill or injure someone.” 

Imagine being a young person in this environment. Would you risk voicing your doubts, especially if you had never heard a single teacher question it?

Last fall, juniors and seniors in my Art of Persuasion class expressed dismay with the “Grace bubble” and sought to engage with a wider range of political viewpoints. Since the BLM protests often came up in our discussions, I thought of assigning Glenn Loury, a Brown University professor and public intellectual whose writings express a nuanced, center-right position on racial issues in America. Unfortunately, my administration put the kibosh on my proposal.

The head of the high school responded to me that “people like Loury’s lived experience—and therefore his derived social philosophy” made him an exception to the rule that black thinkers acknowledge structural racism as the paramount impediment in society. He added that “the moment we are in institutionally and culturally, does not lend itself to dispassionate discussion and debate,” and discussing Loury’s ideas would “only confuse and/or enflame students, both those in the class and others that hear about it outside of the class.” He preferred I assign “mainstream white conservatives,” effectively denying black students the opportunity to hear from a black professor who holds views that diverge from the orthodoxy pushed on them.

I find it self-evidently racist to filter the dissemination of an idea based on the race of the person who espouses it. I find the claim that exposing 11th and 12th graders to diverse views on an important societal issue will only “confuse” them to be characteristic of a fundamentalist religion, not an educational philosophy. 

My administration says that these constraints on discourse are necessary to shield students from harm. But it is clear to me that these constraints serve primarily to shield their ideology from harm — at the cost of students’ psychological and intellectual development. 

It was out of concern for my students that I spoke out in the “self-care” meeting, and it is out of that same concern that I write today. I am concerned for students who crave a broader range of viewpoints in class. I am concerned for students trained in “race explicit” seminars to accept some opinions as gospel, while discarding as immoral disconfirming evidence. I am concerned for the dozens of students during my time at Grace who shared with me that they have been reproached by teachers for expressing views that are not aligned with the new ideology.

One current student paid me a visit a few weeks ago. He tapped faintly on my office door, anxiously looking both ways before entering. He said he had come to offer me words of support for speaking up at the meeting.

I thanked him for his comments, but asked him why he seemed so nervous. He told me he was worried that a particular teacher might notice this visit and “it would mean that I would get in trouble.” He reported to me that this teacher once gave him a lengthy “talking to” for voicing a conservative opinion in class. He then remembered with a sigh of relief that this teacher was absent that day. I looked him in the eyes. I told him he was a brave young man for coming to see me, and that he should be proud of that. 

Then I sent him on his way. And I resolved to write this piece.

Edited by August West, 25 April 2021 - 12:01 PM.

• TVCasualty, Myc, roscoe and 4 others like this

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2021 - 02:30 PM

Greetings Mycotopiates!

This is a brief announcement to let the community know that if you don't hear from August West for a while it's because due to a recent comment he has been summoned to Mycotopia's international headquarters where he will be undergoing intensive mandatory remedial diversity, inclusivity, and self-loathing training along with other restorative practices designed by the Office of People Who Made All This Shit Up Out of Thin Air until he promises to stop viciously assaulting and repeatedly murdering the 'Topia community by posting so many wrong-words without embodying the appropriate level of shame for existing so oppressively.

[sigh...]

If I make any other comment about this topic then I'll be sent off to the reeducation camp, too. :bat:

And why the hell do sociological arguments or whatever get to appropriate the term "theory?" In this case it should be Critical Race Hypothesis (at best). I thought cultural appropriation was, like, bad 'n' stuff? So why does Sociology get away with swiping terminology from science? Wait, I think I know this one: It's because science is evil and wrong because white people defined the concept.

It's good that they make students sign antiracist pledges, though. It means racism will be solved any minute now. It totally worked with sex and abstinence which is why teen pregnancy is no longer an issue so I only wonder why we didn't also do that to solve racism years ago!

• August West, Juthro, FLASHINGROOSTER and 1 other like this

#3 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 05:05 PM

That's some fucked-up shit.

It's like when people have to say "person of colour" as if "black" is an insult but for some reason "white" is not.

#4 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2021 - 05:49 PM

For anyone interested in a little deeper dive into the events around that essay, Paul Rossi, the teacher who wrote it, can be heard on the newest edition of the  Fifth Column Podcast...

Edited by August West, 25 April 2021 - 05:53 PM.

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2021 - 05:52 PM

That's some fucked-up shit.

It's like when people have to say "person of colour" as if "black" is an insult but for some reason "white" is not.

I am offended by your use of the letter "u" in the word "color."

It suggests a British colonizer or colonizer-adjacent background of the one who uses it, and that is oppressive to me as someone who identifies as someone who is sympathetic to people who are oppressed.

If you sign the deed to your house over to me we can call it even.

• Myc, FLASHINGROOSTER and terbium like this

#6 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 07:50 PM

You don't sound very colonised. Are you appropriating from a culture?

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 10:42 AM

No, I'm an American. There's no such thing as a singular, unified "American" culture ao there's nothing to appropriate stuff into. There's only a bunch of increasingly chaotic sub-cultures (some get along, some don't).

When it comes to other countries with actual cultures, we swipe whatever we can use and then make a disposable plastic version to sell back to the people we took it from. It's just business; we don't mean to offend but we can't really avoid it and frankly it doesn't really matter so long as people keep buying our shit. So it's more cultural arbitrage than appropriation.

As far as CRT goes, has anyone explained how the notion that race is an abstract construct can be reconciled with the notion that race defines and/or determines everything? Or is this an example of cognitive dissonance and explains why debates and discussions involving CRT are so fraught?

Something else that occurs to me: What are we going to do with E=mc^2 once we've cancelled Einstein? It wouldn't be appropriate to continue to benefit from the fruit of a poisoned tree, after all.

Edited by TVCasualty, 26 April 2021 - 10:43 AM.

• Arathu likes this

#8 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,432 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:03 AM

It's just one more symptom of the death cult spectre that haunts the land

Can anyone tell me why the lice are wagging the dog?

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#9 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 02:06 PM

Racist!

Ahhh that felt good to exert power over you, easy to silence your thoughts and trash your reputation for expressing that dissenting opinion. Even better considering all I need to do is throw out a baseless accusation neatly packaged into a now nearly meaningless word.

Your either with me or against me racist

Who's next, come at me bra

As far as CRT goes, has anyone explained how the notion that race is an abstract construct can be reconciled with the notion that race defines and/or determines everything? Or is this an example of cognitive dissonance and explains why debates and discussions involving CRT are so fraught?

No joke, I think that is considered the old racist standard now.

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 26 April 2021 - 02:08 PM.

#10 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,065 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 07:38 PM

post-113856-0-94450700-1619483528.gif

Sorry about the broken glass......I got carried away....

"They".... probably won't like me very much........sad but.......OK

I don't stay in toxic relationships.....

A

Attached Thumbnails

• animated-fart-image-0002.gif

#11 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,432 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:53 AM

?

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:59 AM

Well this is interesting:

Debate Erupts at N.J. Law School After White Student Quotes Racial Slur

“At the height of a ‘racial reckoning,’ a responsible adult should know not to use a racial slur regardless of its use in a 1993 opinion,” states the petition, which has been signed by law school students and campus organizations across the country.

“We vehemently condemn the use of the N-word by the student and the acquiescence of its usage,” the petition says.

Professor Bergelson, 59, has said that she did not hear the word spoken during the videoconference session, which three students attended after a criminal law class, and would have corrected the student if she had.

Soon after the professor’s office hours in late October, a white classmate contacted the student who quoted the epithet to say that she should have avoided using it.

The student, a middle-age woman studying law as a second career, offered her phone number to continue the discussion and also arranged for a lengthy conversation with the third student, her lawyer said.

One of the students later told a Black classmate; a recording of the meeting, which is no longer accessible, was discovered online and shared.

Black students from the class who were offended by the slur expressed their concerns to another professor, who alerted a dean, David Lopez, soon after the incident, several officials said.

Professor Bergelson said she was never told about her students’ objections, learning of them only after the petition surfaced April 6, five months later. Within days, she said, she convened a meeting with the criminal law class and other first-year students to discuss the incident and to offer an apology. The student, who has not been publicly identified, also apologized during the meeting.

I would've thought that a "responsible adult" could grasp the concepts of context and intent. I guess the urge to virtue signal overrides those concepts. And adults don't infantilize problematic language just because it's difficult to discuss unless they're discussing it with actual children. The notion that you should never say "the bad words" but only ever use obtuse euphemisms to refer to them is patently absurd in the context of an academic institution attended by ostensible adults.

It's like the words themselves possess magic powers, and must never be uttered lest those dark powers be invoked.

Kind of like "Beetlejuice," which you must never say three times or you'll manifest him. Or Voldemort, rather. I guess the same goes for all the new (and evil) magic words. Or something. I'm also curious about what the writers of the petition think "acquiescence" means. They seem to think people are supposed to get passionate about reading quotes in law school.

It would be very helpful to have an official list of which words are taboo in ANY context when uttered in their complete form.

I'm not one to go out of my way to write or utter evil magic words just because others find them offensive as that would be douchy and reactionary and immature. But to be sanctioned, suspended, fired, lectured at, or otherwise punished just for reading a quote exactly as it was written (which is the literal definition of "quoting" for fuck's sake) is, in my humble estimation, batshit crazy. Incidentally, "crazy" is a word that some want to put on the taboo list, but they're not a large and powerful enough faction of social cancelers to be able to make that stick yet so I can still use it for now. I suppose that as soon as they reach that point I will retroactively become a terrible person. So it goes.

I did get a kick out of how the Times managed to allude to "Karen" energy without saying "Karen." "A middle-aged woman studying law as a second career" indeed, lol. Not that all such women are "the K-word," of course. Relax! I didn't mean to offend. Some of my best friends are named Karen. Jesus fucking christ people it was just a joke!

Professor Bergelson clearly knows how to navigate the new groupthink minefield, lol; "I wasn't there, I didn't hear it, only wish I had been so I could've done all the right things!!!"

Brilliant, if spineless, reply. Maybe she knows the deal because she's secretly CIA? Word on the street now is that The Company was behind all this wokeism stuff, evidenced by their new recruitment video (seriously!). I watched it. They might be right. It's pretty weird.

But anyway, this was a pretty good point IMO:

“I don’t think the Law School should have rules that are stricter than the Constitution of the United States,” said Dennis M. Patterson, a professor.

Radical stuff. I'd expect him to lose his tenure any minute now.

It was immediately followed by a pretty bad attempt at spin:

Professor Lopez and his co-dean, Kimberly Mutcherson, said in a statement that the discussion underway had nothing to do with “stifling academic freedom, ignoring the First Amendment, or banning words.”

Rather, they said, it was about “how best to create classroom environments in which all of our students feel seen, heard, valued and respected.”

Riiiight. Current trends in academia have nothing to do with that stuff at all.

Let me fix that statement for them: "We're gonna create classroom environments in which we declare that all of our students feel seen, heard, valued and respected by stifling academic freedom, ignoring the First Amendment, and banning the utterance of all evil magic words!"

• August West, FLASHINGROOSTER and Mycol like this

#13 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:12 AM

This thread could be really long if we post frightening examples.

#14 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:28 PM

I'm not gonna lie, when I saw the title of this thread in the"New Thread" feed my first thought was.

What knuckle dragging, true patriot, definitely not a Beta cuck, real American posted this tripe?

*Click*

Hmmmm. . . August West.

One of my favorite knuckle draggers!

*Brain says*

Nice assumptions roscoe! Might wanna wrinkle up some of that smooth, and ponder for a minute.

While I ponder, I would like to leave this thought.

We have always been, and always will be riding this pendulum of our nations "original sin." We go from one extreme to the other while spending a short time swinging through the sweet spot. This will continue until the problem is addressed and fixed according to the most "good" for the most people.

I will not pretend to know how to fix such a problem, as it is so far out of my wheelhouse as to be comical.

But. . .

I do believe that one side is going to an extreme in response to the other sides unwillingness to budge. I feel like they are well meaning, but misguided. They are working against the best interest of the people they seek to raise up, by alienating a good portion of their potential allies. But we must remember this is being done in response to this ugly problem our nation has always faced.

I truly believe that racism is a tool for the monied class to keep the rabble fighting each other so viciously that we don't have the good sense to come up for air, and see it for what it really is. This racism problem of ours, might just have it's ugly roots buried deep inside of our classism problem.

Ponder. . . Ponder. . . Ponder. . .

• TVCasualty, Myc, August West and 3 others like this

#15 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:22 PM

It's almost like there were hints being given to us by people who hung out with people who knew how shit works...

I have said the basic techniques of nova are very simple consist in creating and aggravating conflicts- "No riots like injustice directed between enemies"- At any given time recorders fix nature of absolute need and dictate use of total weapons- Like this: Collect and record violent Anti-Semitic statements- Now play back to Jews who are after Belsen- Record what they say and play it back the the Anti-Semites- Clip clap- You got it? Want more? Record white supremacy statements- Play to Negroes- Play back answer- Now The Women and The Men- No riots like injustice directed between "enemies"...

-Nova Express, William S. Burroughs (1964)

It's kind of embarrassing that "nova" has not even felt the need to make the old divide-and-conquer game any subtler or more sophisticated than Red Team vs. Blue Team (often literally). If nothing else that makes it easier to remember not to ship two loads of guns to the same street gang and fuck up the balance of impotence.

#16 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:56 PM

"Love can be the most dreadful disguise of hate"  said some dude on the internet

I have a hard time watching it anymore. People love to exert power over one another in a myriad of ways, and this has become a major outlet for those that may feel powerless. In a weird way the former president revealed to half the country that perhaps not everybody thinks like me, in many of minds in the urban culture war it was over, they had won. It scared the shit out of them to realize that racism was still flowing strong, so label them as nazi's and then any action to eradicate them would be deemed as necessary to thwart that ultimate evil

You cant force people to change their idea's so what you see is a jump to silencing

A good start to course correct would be to stop with all this identity politics, if we want to get along perhaps we should spend less time focusing on separating and cataloging our "predetermined" traits based on our race, profession or geographical location. Not allowed to just be a dude anymore, you have to be either cis or gay or black or white or whatever convenient box I can file you into so I don't have to put to much serious thought into the idea that you might be your own human being that doesn't automatically subscribe to a certain ideology

The sad part is your not allowed to try to address realistic solutions in conversation anymore, to challenge the dogma is sacrilege and you are to be banished. This conversation would be labeled as racist and most of us silenced and suspended for being a "nazi". Another word that has nearly gone the way of the dodo and become cliche at this point. That point alone should make us pause a little bit, the idea that things are contextualized into such extremes. Throwing powerful words around like parade candy in order to try "win" arguments on the internet or in the public eye.  Dulling a poignant word that cataloged one of the worst genocides in modern history  has now become essentially synonymous with I don't like what you are saying

If we could somehow rewind the clock and get back to this place. Where we can all admit some ugly truths about ourselves and then work to make them better.

It seems like so long ago now, somebody cancel this already geeeze

[Direct Link]

Where has all this finger pointing gotten us? At each others throats

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 04 May 2021 - 05:03 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#17 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:24 PM

Well that's a trip. Never heard that before.

I get the impression that if had been performed today that Muppet song would be interpreted as a profoundly offensive parody by Enlightened and Very Serious People resulting in the Muppets being socially executed.

#18 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,599 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:12 PM

Castrating the next generation to limit opposition to the New World Order....

Critical thinking and independent thought be damned!

• Myc and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!