• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SelfTransformingMachineElf

SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:22 PM

I've got a Stropharia Rugoso (winecap) jar that I want to spawn to bulk, and I've got a bag of hardwood pellets (for grilling) from Tractor Supply.

I wasn't able to key in on a good search term on the forums.  Can anyone help with prep?  I've got two quarts of spawn.

I found some mentions of soaking woodchips - would that be important for pellets too?  Thanks for any help.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#2 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:34 PM

Depending on your recipe, add fuel pellets to an ice chest or tub, pour enough warm water to cover. After a couple minutes stir and the pellets break up. Ideally you made your recipe w/just enough water. If not, you can grab handfuls of wet sawdust, squeeze them out, transfer them to paper plates til you are done.
  • SelfTransformingMachineElf likes this

#3 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2021 - 11:00 AM

Wood pellets need 60% moisture content. 60% moisture means a (40 dry : 60 wet) ratio.

That means for every 400g of pellets, use 600g of water.

Or 4 lbs pellets to 6 lbs water.

If you follow this ratio you don't need to squeeze anything out.

Edited by kcmoxtractor, 01 May 2021 - 11:01 AM.

• Coopdog, Arathu, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#4 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2021 - 12:10 PM

I make 4 Blocks at a time and I use 20 cups of fuel pellets and 4 cups of Rice bran(added after hwfp expansion) with 1.5gal of hot tap water.  Perfect moisture and expands fast with the hot Tap.  All the Best!   :hookah:

Edited by MushLuvR, 01 May 2021 - 12:12 PM.

• Coopdog and YoshiTrainer like this

#5 SelfTransformingMachineElf

SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 12:41 PM

Thanks y'all.   :wub:

• Coopdog likes this

#6 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2021 - 03:07 PM

If I am not mistaken, Wine Caps like it kinda dirty. They seem to thrive in compost, chicken shit, and the like, I have never tried fruiting them off of a sterile substrate. You might want to incorporate some decomposed material (sterile or not) into the wood pellets for that extra oompf.

• Coopdog and SelfTransformingMachineElf like this

#7 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2021 - 06:21 PM

It shouldn’t be assumed that the moisture content of the pellets is zero, so actually a 50:50 ratio tends to work better and colonize more quickly. Also, hot water is unnecessary.

4.5 cups (26oz) hardwood pellets + 4.5 cups cold water. Place pellets in mycobag and pour water directly into the bag to fully cover the pellets. They’ll expand and hydrate in about 5 minutes. Fold bag up and sterilize. Inoculate with 1 qt jar of grain spawn.
  • Coopdog likes this

#8 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:45 PM

Hot water may not be "necessary", but it is fast to expand and I do my mixing in a tote since I add Rice Bran for a thorough mixing.  Speaking of unnecessary, you don't need a full quart to spawn, it's overkill.  I do two blocks per quart of WBS or Oats and it's plenty fast with a proper mixing after inoculation.  2.5 hours sterilized has Never let me down.  Happy Growin' 

• kcmoxtractor likes this

#9 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:50 PM

Hot water may not be "necessary", but it is fast to expand and I do my mixing in a tote since I add Rice Bran for a thorough mixing.  Speaking of unnecessary, you don't need a full quart to spawn, it's overkill.  I do two blocks per quart of WBS or Oats and it's plenty fast with a proper mixing after inoculation.  2.5 hours sterilized has Never let me down.  Happy Growin'

I only use 1/4 cup spawn per block with edibles, less is more when you're using supplements.
  • MushLuvR likes this

#10 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:08 PM

To each their own. I used to spend hours boiling enormous quantities of water and mixing pellets in big tubs until I realized I could just mix with cold water directly in the bag and saved myself countless hours of labor. I had never thought to try cold water before, but it actually makes no difference at all aside from the time and energy I save, at least for the hardwood pellets I use. I modify my recipe slightly if I'm making supplemented bags, still works fine. Also, when I say quart, I mean a half quart, as in a quart jar filled halfway with grain spawn as is standard procedure as far as I'm concerned. I will use different spawn ratios for various species. For example, oyster, reishi and turkey tail will do fine with a lower ratio, but species like king stropharia and lion's mane are typically less vigorous and benefit from a higher spawn ratio.

Edited by DonShadow, 04 May 2021 - 03:22 PM.

• Coopdog likes this

#11 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:44 AM

If you are boiling water, that's definitely not necessary at all and a waste of time and energy.  I do however like your all in one bag method, I may give that a try when I get back to making blocks.  I went a little crazy during COVID and had to stop the madness.  I am the only one that eats mushrooms so it's easy to get TOO many real quick(especially LM or Coralloides).  Turkey Tail and Reishi are one of my favorites to grow(fast spawn, 8 days maybe and I'm a polypore fan), but DAMN they take forever to fruit, I like sending them outside instead of in the Martha, but if you have the room TT does fine inside.  I wanted to start a Morel and or Wine Cap(maybe a wavy cap area) patch this year, but didn't get around to it.  Goals for next year... always a pleasure. 

I have a fast LM culture so I don't find spawn rates to be a problem.  The Coralloides was considerably slower, but no issues colonizing with same rate.  You said it best though, to each there own, it doesn't matter how you get to the finish line, crossing is ALL that matters.  All the Best!

P1090148.JPG

P1090997.JPG

• Coopdog likes this

#12 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,262 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:25 PM

This is the thread I was trying to find again. Good info here for me as well. Thanks for bumping it up!

• MushLuvR likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!