6 replies to this topic

#1 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,459 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2021 - 10:50 AM

I really had no idea how this stuff worked when I bought it, just that it was supposed to bait and kill slugs which I have to deal with if I want anything to fruit outside as our property is thick with them. Anyway I knew it was supposed to be food safe, organic, etc. I avoid pesticides to the extent possible because we have frogs and toads and I don’t want to poison them.

So anyway I tossed the Sluggo around where I had dumped old subs and what not. Didn’t see immediate effect (I didn’t read all the instructions). I assumed it was junk. Then after a few days of rain I thought “wow those bad jars must’ve gone nuts!” Only when I looked closer did I realize that the pellets are wheat impregnated with a fungus.

Broadcast the pellets, they germinate and white mycelium pops up and spreads! Imagine being able to go to the feed store and buy a bag of Pan Cyan “seeds” or cubes or whatever. It just struck me as a super cool technology I wish we could harness.

Attached Thumbnails

• E4E5E0D1-1256-4D83-9EB7-3B340274C79E.jpeg
  • B020D6A4-2F5A-4CF6-8FB3-078CBC103EF5.jpeg

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#2 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,729 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2021 - 11:17 AM

They're targeting the slugs via a fungus, sweet idea....slugs like fungi....

I wonder what the kill mechanism is.....?

I set substrates on asphalt shingles and use table salt to create a perimeter.......

Insects are problematic too........I guess everything likes good shrooms.......

Mushrooms don't care who/what spreads their spoors though....

Cool stuff man..

A

• Jrotten likes this

#3 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,459 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2021 - 11:39 AM

We have fire ants. If I put down shingles as a barrier (I’m a roofer so I put them down because they have to go somewhere) they inevitably wind up with massive fire ant beds beneath them. Anything that is heavy and keeps some moisture in the soil ultimately becomes an ant pile. I’ll take the shroom eating insects over the man eaters!

The kill mechanism is iron toxicity. I guess it can kill worms. So far I haven’t noticed a decrease in worms but slugs are gone from the front bed, but still all around my dump pile. The only chemical I broadcast are fertilizers for the grass. I try to manage weeds by making the grass outcompete. I use spot treatments for ants, fleas around the animals, and have recently acquired a torch for weeds which is ridiculously fun.
  • Arathu, Mycol and Auhron like this

#4 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 04:20 PM

Flame weeding !
  • Jrotten and Auhron like this

#5 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2021 - 04:48 PM

it would be cool to see what the "sluggo" looks like fresh if you could.

• Jrotten likes this

#6 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,459 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2021 - 06:48 PM

it would be cool to see what the "sluggo" looks like fresh if you could.

Pellets like small animal feed or some fertilizers might come in.

Flame weeding !

YES! it is hypnotic.

Attached Thumbnails

• 326DFD99-391B-49F4-9920-7DD9135F6DDF.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 02 May 2021 - 07:05 PM.

#7 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 10:18 PM

I use fresh ground coffee and pour a perimeter around the patch. Never had a problem afterwards, just had to evict the ones hiding in the sub when they came out. If you're game you can pan fry them but I'll pass. You'll have to periodically refresh the fence as it gets washed away..

• Jrotten, UnHeisenbug and Mycol like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!