• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HawksTwelfth

HawksTwelfth

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 06:10 PM

I have had steady growth of smaller mushrooms but nothing bigger than and inch of two mostly small half inch guys or even smaller that open that small.

I pulled the tub back today and found this
281F87F3-9920-4D7A-B39E-72BE23144B0A.jpeg

I think the casing is wayyyy to thick. Also I have learned that not having a bad between soil and wall can cause this which is why I should have done that instead of painting sides black.

Should I take some off?
Should I try to harvest all these side shrooms?

Thoughts?

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,146 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2021 - 06:45 PM

Let them mature before harvesting.

Pins form where conditions are ideal for pins to form, so lots of side pins means the air is too dry.

If you bother with a casing layer (it's optional) then make it as thin as possible. I just use 1/4" of saturated vermiculite if I'm applying a top layer at all (typically only over 100% straw subs).

#3 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:30 PM

Casing looks dry. They are experiencing poor conditions.

#4 HawksTwelfth

HawksTwelfth

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:31 PM

I mist twice a day but i think my casing is too moist or maybe still too much free air exchange. I was told to fan after misting but that seems to be evaporating most of the moisture. 

Still dialing in but still got plenty coming out the top but just tiny little guys.

More misting less fanning? Close off some of the FAE?

I have another topic going about a shoebox setup I am going to try and revive as well as this tub turned into a Frankenstein and I want to start fresh with several shoebox setups.

I now have all the tubs but looking for recommendations for best way to utilize my space. Any suggestions here or on that post which i will be updating here shortly is appreciated. (existing space can be seen in my profile pic with monotub (pre tear down) is located now.

Casing looks dry. They are experiencing poor conditions.

#5 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:39 AM

If you put casing on it should be real thin. I think TvCasualty said it above. 1/4"-1/2" just enough to cover really. It looks like you have quite a bit on there. So far I've used casing on mine and by spraying it then fanning the casing is damp but doesn't have standing water on it. But that's only the thickness of a pencil depth.

If you put casing on it should be real thin. I think TvCasualty said it above. 1/4"-1/2" just enough to cover really. It looks like you have quite a bit on there. So far I've used casing on mine and by spraying it then fanning the casing is damp but doesn't have standing water on it. But that's only the thickness of a pencil depth.

I suppose if it's possible you could remove a lot of it off and see if it starts growing in. Id bet there's pins in there they just aren't making it through.

Edited by Oldpunk, 04 May 2021 - 11:49 AM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#6 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:50 AM

What? How did I quote myself.?

Better just put the phone down.
  • Sidestreet likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!