Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

How Does This Bulk Substrate Look to You?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:06 PM

For my  very first bulk grow I inoculated bags of Uncle Bens Ready Rice with a Golden Teacher spore syringe. When fully colonized I mixed it with a bulk substrate of pasteurized coco coir at a ratio of 1 part rice to 2 parts coir and laid it 4-inches deep in a 12-qt Perlite tub. Instead of a casing layer I applied 2 layers of cheesecloth and misted. I have kept the air temperature in my closet mycochamber at a steady 77 degrees. 

Now 6 days later the cloth is pretty much fully colonized, with cute little protuberances emerging, which I assume is mycelium but not pinning. Attached is a top view and a side view. As you can see there is plenty of moisture on the sides of the tub, but no visible moisture droplets on the substrate surface. How does this look to you? How much longer should I continue incubating before introducing fruiting conditions? 

Thanks and best wishes..

IMG_1652.jpeg

IMG_1653.jpeg

#2 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:49 PM

Wow you went all in on the reddit teks haha

It looks better than I figured it would, from what I hear the uncle ben tek is a not very successful usually. But looks ok to me from what I can see, no obvious contam. You'll know soon enough. Let's see what happens.

Edited by sandman, 03 May 2021 - 04:50 PM.

• kcmoxtractor and PaceArrow like this

#3 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:59 PM

No I dont think there is any contamination - the smell of the substrate is fresh and shroomy. 

I read a great deal about the unc Ben tek before deciding to go that route and actually if good basic sterile practices are observed it has a very high success rate. I didn't have a pressure cooker and wanted a way to dive into doing a bulk substrate so it was perfect. The cheesecloth casing seems like a great innovation that someone came up with to allow for the fruits to be harvested more easily. We'll see!

Now I have a pc and am ready for further, more involved mycological  adventures..

Edited by PaceArrow, 03 May 2021 - 05:04 PM.

#4 livefrom215

livefrom215

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:19 PM

Pace- best of luck to you on your grow! Looks good, I also use uncle bens tek have rarely had issues. I purchased some cheesy cloth but have yet to use it. Keep us posted on how fruiting goes that is the step I usually have the most difficulties. Much love brotha
  • PaceArrow likes this

#5 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,893 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:30 PM

Looks really good! The substrate seems to be making aerial rhizomorphs, so knotting isn't far off.

#6 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:45 PM

Looks really good! The substrate seems to be making aerial rhizomorphs, so knotting isn't far off.

Thanks - this is very exciting to me. Should I mist the substrate surface lightly, or leave as is? Do I leave it several more days so the mycelium can fully "consolidate"? At what point do I create fruiting conditions by lowering the temp and establishing FAE? I'm not trying to hurry anything, I just want to make sure I do things right so these babies have a chance to grow into happy mushroom adults..

Edited by PaceArrow, 03 May 2021 - 06:54 PM.

#7 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,893 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:38 PM

I usually would mist the walls, not the sub itself.

Probably wait 3 days and start giving it fresh air. I go a little longer before putting them into fruiting, let them digest as much as possible before moisture loss starts. I personally wait until I see knots before giving them FAE, but I'm doing bags instead of tubs.
  • PaceArrow likes this

#8 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:15 PM

I usually would mist the walls, not the sub itself.

Probably wait 3 days and start giving it fresh air. I go a little longer before putting them into fruiting, let them digest as much as possible before moisture loss starts. I personally wait until I see knots before giving them FAE, but I'm doing bags instead of tubs.

Thanks for your input. From what I am reading around the web, knots are already forming in the form of those protuberances sticking up from the substrate. They are becoming better formed and growing in number. Next come the "primordia"? I will continue waiting as you suggest before lowering the temperature a few degrees and flipping the tub lid and leaving open a crack for FAE. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!