Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

How Does This Bulk Substrate Look to You?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:19 PM

So is the process now to simply wait for pins and fruiting to occur on the main substrate surface? There are small small fruits along the edges now but nothing in the central area. I'm not trying to be impatient, I just don't know if pinning is something that is supposed to happen all at once and that I missed the proverbial boat by having the main area covered in cheesecloth.. 

Edited by PaceArrow, 14 May 2021 - 02:14 PM.

#22 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:52 PM

You're most likely going to have an uneven "first flush" since the side pins are further along.

You will have plenty of fruits I'm sure.

You got your next project going like 4 weeks ago right? This ones nearing the end of the proverbial road.

#23 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:36 PM

You're most likely going to have an uneven "first flush" since the side pins are further along.

You will have plenty of fruits I'm sure.

You got your next project going like 4 weeks ago right? This ones nearing the end of the proverbial road.

Thanks for the encouraging words! Yes more fruits are developing along the edges of one tub and this afternoon I noticed some brand new pins peeking up in the main part of the substrate. My second tub has yet to pin, except for one wee-little thing along its' east edge. 

I inoculated some bags of Uncle Ben's with spore syringes of Mazapatec, KSSS, and Panaeolus Bisporus nine days ago and they are very slowly colonizing. I just got a nice pressure cooker and some 4-oz portion cups and am ready to venture into the realm of agar and liquid cultures and rye grain spawn. I have agar agar and LME and corn syrup and hope to find a well-liked agar recipe and make a batch this weekend. To start the first agar culture I think I will take a needle sample of one of the fruits now emerging in my tub. And another agar cup I will culture with a drop of the P Bisporus spore syringe. This is very exciting and I am eager to keep learning...

Edited by PaceArrow, 14 May 2021 - 07:38 PM.

• sandman and YoshiTrainer like this

#24 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:01 PM

Very cool.

Let me tote my cloning method for you real quick then 

Cut harvest the fruit close to base. Grasp base of cut stem and tear in half like peeling a banana. All the way from the base through the cap. It should be two halves. You can lay one down on a sterile spot and hold the stem as a handle of the other.

Cut out a small section of inner tissue of the top of the cap, from the fresh torn inside tissue.

If you angle the blade right with a #11 blade, you can do a triangle shape with 3 slicing motions and then lift the triangle right. 

This inner cap tissue is easier to work with than the stringy stem tissue.

Lay your triangle on the agar plate.

Congrats on your first clones.

• Sidestreet, YoshiTrainer and PaceArrow like this

#25 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:20 PM

Very cool.

Let me tote my cloning method for you real quick then 

Cut harvest the fruit close to base. Grasp base of cut stem and tear in half like peeling a banana. All the way from the base through the cap. It should be two halves. You can lay one down on a sterile spot and hold the stem as a handle of the other.

Cut out a small section of inner tissue of the top of the cap, from the fresh torn inside tissue.

If you angle the blade right with a #11 blade, you can do a triangle shape with 3 slicing motions and then lift the triangle right. 

This inner cap tissue is easier to work with than the stringy stem tissue.

Lay your triangle on the agar plate.

Congrats on your first clones.

Thanks very much - I appreciate and will follow your guidance. 

#26 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:42 PM

Somehow my post double-posted and I don't see a way of deleting it.. Sorry about that. 

Here's a picture of a sweet cat of mine who was a connoisseur of paper bags, just because why not..

IMG_0240.jpg

Edited by PaceArrow, 16 May 2021 - 12:10 AM.

• sandman and rockyfungus like this

#27 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:50 PM

Well one of the two colonized, formerly cheesecloth-covered tubs of Golden Teacher has some action now. Mostly along the edges, and everything is stunted, but I am grateful for any fruits emerging, after all I put the mycelium through! Question: Once this first flush finishes, I should dunk the substrate and set up fruiting conditions for a second flush, correct?

IMG_1742.jpg  IMG_1743.jpg  IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

The second tub of Golden Teacher has a few tiny shrooms along the edge but still no sign of pins in the main substrate surface. The mycelium looks healthy to my untrained eye so I will just keep fruiting conditions going and see what unfolds..

IMG_1744.jpg

Edited by PaceArrow, 16 May 2021 - 12:05 AM.

#28 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:50 AM

Those are some chunky boys! Might want to increase your fresh air exchange. Pop the lid a bit more, fan a bit more, or remove polyfill if a mono style tub. I'm still not a pro at my conditions, but I believe towards the end increasing FAE with those monsters can give you a bit more growth. 

Most just pour the water into the box and let the substrate float to the top allowing easier removal of pins. I then close the lid so hopefully whole block is submerged underwater. Allow it to rest up to 12 hours, I'm impatient and tend to do a day of work so about 6-8 hours.

If you are familiar with what the substrate should feel like/look like. You can spray or water by hand. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 16 May 2021 - 08:51 AM.

• PaceArrow likes this

#29 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:42 AM

Those are some chunky boys! Might want to increase your fresh air exchange. Pop the lid a bit more, fan a bit more, or remove polyfill if a mono style tub. I'm still not a pro at my conditions, but I believe towards the end increasing FAE with those monsters can give you a bit more growth. 

Most just pour the water into the box and let the substrate float to the top allowing easier removal of pins. I then close the lid so hopefully whole block is submerged underwater. Allow it to rest up to 12 hours, I'm impatient and tend to do a day of work so about 6-8 hours.

If you are familiar with what the substrate should feel like/look like. You can spray or water by hand. 

Thanks for the tips, rockyfungus. The substrates are in 12 qt tubs without polyfil. I have been leaving one end of the lids cracked about 1/2 inch, and until yesterday had been fanning (using the lid of the tub) 6-8 times a day. I thought I actually might be overdoing it on the FAE fanning so starting yesterday I cut it down to very brief fanning 4x per day. With the tubs being as shallow as they are its pretty easy to displace the old air with new. 

There is one factor that I wonder about, which is that I have a small electric heater in the closet grow chamber, and when I open the door in the morning there is a plastic smell. Not from the heater being near to any plastic but from the materials of the heater itself. I wonder if the plastic fumes are stunting the fruiting of the mushrooms... 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!