• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 livefrom215

livefrom215

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:31 PM

Ok so I feel that two of my shoebox tubs are fully colonized and the other two need a few more days. The jars I know I have some time to wait before they are ready for a dunk. The two shoebox tubs that are colonized, would it be best to remove the lids at this point and fan twice a day or I have a fan attached to my FC with a timer I can run that a few times a day. I have had previous tubs get to this point and fizzle out due to ignorance. I really want to complete what I have started and Im hoping for some positive feedback with what I currently have going. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3980.jpg
  • IMG_3979.jpg
  • IMG_3978.jpg
  • IMG_3977.jpg
  • IMG_3976.jpg
  • IMG_3975.jpg

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#2 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,893 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:37 PM

What's the humidity in that room? If it's 50%+ then you can easily set it up on a timer. If it's really low then you might want to fan.

Option 3 is to wait until it knots to give fresh air. Might take a few extra days, but it's less likely to have issues that way IMO.

#3 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:41 PM

I've got those same shoebox bins. I sprayed a light mist and then fanned with the lid for a minute 3 times a day. It worked pretty good with just the lid on until the mushrooms got tall enough to hit it. Then I set a 2nd bin on to make it taller.

I tried to do an automated fan on a timer and ultimately went back to just fanning by hand. I'm going to try automating again but think keeping it simple is better at first. I've noticed other people having issues due to automatic fans on their first grows too. Keep it as simple as possible until you get some to grow and you will learn a lot about what environment they want.

Just mist. And fan afterwards for a minute. 3 times a day.

That's my advice from a newbie perspective
  • kcmoxtractor and Arathu like this

#4 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,893 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:22 PM

I've got those same shoebox bins. I sprayed a light mist and then fanned with the lid for a minute 3 times a day. It worked pretty good with just the lid on until the mushrooms got tall enough to hit it. Then I set a 2nd bin on to make it taller.
I tried to do an automated fan on a timer and ultimately went back to just fanning by hand. I'm going to try automating again but think keeping it simple is better at first. I've noticed other people having issues due to automatic fans on their first grows too. Keep it as simple as possible until you get some to grow and you will learn a lot about what environment they want.
Just mist. And fan afterwards for a minute. 3 times a day.
That's my advice from a newbie perspective

My advice for setting up automation for a room w/tubs is-

Set up a humidifier on a controller at 55%, with 5% variance. It will come on at 50%, go up to 60%, then kick off.

Use 6 or 12 quart tubs, wider tubs are harder to manage air exchange.

Don't use polyfil or any other air hole covers during fruiting. Make smaller holes, either 3/16" or 1/4". 4 holes in 6 quart tubs, 1 on each side. 6 holes in 12 quart tubs, 2 holes on each long side, 1 on each short side.

Use these fans, on for 15 minutes every hour. Put them on the floor and point them at the ceiling.
2021-05-03-19-20-19.jpg

#5 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 68 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:44 PM

If you're growing P.cubensis I'd just put the lids on loose leaving a slight gap. If your surface dries out before the first flush reduce the gap. Other than that come back when the crop is ready.

#6 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:56 PM

Nice. I will have to keep those specs for my next try at automation. Like I said, I want to try again in the future. But personally I tried hooking all that stuff up on my first grow and then went from things being too wet, to too dry. Unplugging it all and going manual with misting and fanning really helped me get some good growth and understand the grow cycle better.
Im a wicked busy guy and hope I can get a lab setup and fruiting chamber automated so I don't have to check it all the time.....but it was also a very good learning curve

On a side note kcmoxtractor...i dig your profile comment. Frizzlefry is one of the best albums ever created.
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#7 livefrom215

livefrom215

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:55 AM

KC the humidity in my FC is around 65% but in the actual shoebox tub Im sure its a bit higher with lids on. I left them in the FC hoping to cut down on contams, I have had contam issues in the past so I figured id leave them in there for the entire grow. This is my plan moving forward by saturday im going to start to fan and mist a few times a day and I'm going to hope for the best this time around. I'll post some pics friday night so I can get some further feedback. Thanks

#8 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:12 AM

When you mist them just don't soak the substrate. A little bit on it helps start pinning, but too much will drown it. If you spray the sides of the tub a light mist falls onto the sub. Then fan it for a minute to dry some of it off. If I read correctly it's that water droplet and evaporation that induces pins to start.

Good luck. Grow well.

#9 livefrom215

livefrom215

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:43 AM

Would it be better to run my humidifier for a minute or two instead of misting and then fan. I agree with what you said about evaporation inducing pins to form! Im stoked for this grow, no contams right now and still smells lovely. 

#10 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:48 PM

You probably already know this, but if you mist by hand it is best to use a mister like the kind used in hair styling, which puts out extremely small water droplets. One like this: https://www.amazon.c...20154007&sr=8-7

• kcmoxtractor and YoshiTrainer like this

#11 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 948 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:43 PM

For cubes, I use a modified dub. If I crack my lids or fan, I get mold or probably some kind of feline damage. I soak my sub at casing (I case cubes too), let sit for a week w/a lid then into the dub which is taped closed and holes filled with polyfil. I don't touch it again except to harvest which, if I'm trying for another flush, I do in front of my HEPA fan. I've been getting better results putting 6qt sized subs into 12qt FC, the extra room seems to help. I do have a ceiling fan running in the room.

2nd pic is PE on it's first flush.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210504_122524-1.jpg
  • 20210504_122538-1.jpg

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 04 May 2021 - 02:46 PM.

#12 livefrom215

livefrom215

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:00 PM

Yoshi- Correct me if Im wrong but you take 6qt sized(shoebox) tubs and put them into your FC while they are colonizing the sub? I have had contam issues so this time around I put 3 shoebox tubs into my FC from the jump with the lids on. I was planning on leaving the lids on until I started to see some growth then I would remove the lid and replace it with another shoebox tub bottom to allow room for growth or can I just leave them open in my FC? I also thought about removing my sub from the shoebox tub and laying it on the bottom of my FC and allowing it to fruit that way. I should have documented my prior attempts but I didn't and now I'm driving myself crazy thinking about this grow all day long. Thank you for the pics that looks amazing!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!