10 replies to this topic

#1 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:18 PM

I have been reading quite a bit lately on this "martian Mushrooms" hypothesis, and found images, and interesting comparisons of the same place over several days that show these "puffballs on stems" increasing, spreading, and disappearing. The NASA explanation of these being a hematite mineral formation, has been disproved by the movement and growth of these shown over time, without the influence of wind to account for the movement in rock sheltered areas.

I am surprised there is not more serious examination happening.

There is a lot of information, studies, and images linked in to this article...

as I can't seem to get any of the best comparisons to post here.

https://www.yahoo.co...-155500053.html

I find it quite plausible that fungi would be one of the more likely types of life found, as it colonizes and survives in some of the harshest environments on this planet.

Mars mushrooms  2.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 08 May 2021 - 09:27 PM.

• coorsmikey, Arathu, Baphom3t and 7 others like this

#2 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 759 posts

Donator

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:40 PM

I downloaded the PDF of this and after reading the PDF and seeing the images contained in the PDF I am leaning toward the idea that this could actually be life (of the fungal nature). I'm no expert in this field but I do know inorganic material doesn't grow back, spread, or grow on stalks.
Here is the PDF for any of y'all that want it.

Attached File  FungiOnMarsFinal1.pdf   7.71MB   31 downloads

• Skywatcher, bezevo, Mushinist and 2 others like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:06 PM

That pdf is fantastic !

Thank you for sharing that here Baphom. It contains quite a few images I had not seen. I still need to go back and read all the data, but so far I find this quite convincing.

The idea that fungi on Earth originated elsewhere, and came here on meteors or comets has been tossed around in scientific circles for some time now. How cool would it be to have evidence that the fungal kingdom exists on a more universal level?

It adds an expanded perspective to the psychedelic experience.......................

• Baphom3t and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#4 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 880 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the PDF Baphomet. Is is safe to assume that paper is the best information on the possibility of fungi on Mars? My instinct is to say yeah there could be fungi on Mars but fungi as we know it would require an abundance of other life and lifeless forms such as those that take part in the phosphorus cycle. This being said I'll need to dive into it when I get some time on my side!

• Baphom3t and Skywatcher like this

#5 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:00 PM

That pdf was a fascinating read, thanks for sharing!

• Baphom3t and Skywatcher like this

#6 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:19 PM

haha awesome

#7 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:38 PM

I have some questions. Mushrooms grown on earth feed on organic material, like straw, or rye, and so on.

What is it assumed the ones on Mars are growing on?

In other words if its true, that there are fungi on mars, is not an entire ecosystem implied?

If so, doesn't that make it all more unlikely?

Is it possible, that if true that these are fungi, that the spores came as contamination, on some rover from earth?

And that if so, & there is no other organic matter on mars, it would seem that they will shortly all die.

• Skywatcher likes this

#8 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:18 PM

Who knows perhaps this particular mushroom evolved to survive solely off of rocks, or something underneath we can't see.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...d-as-we-know-it

Fungi drove evolution on land

Fungi were some of the first complex life forms on land, mining rocks for mineral nourishment, slowly turning them into what would become soil. In the Late Ordovician era, they formed a symbiotic relationship with liverworts, the earliest plants.

“Ultimately, fungi helped plants move away from being these marginal tiny little things on the water’s edge into large forests and entire ecosystems,” explains Katie Field, an associate professor in plant-soil interactions at the University of Leeds.

The fungi provided essential minerals for land plants that allowed them to spread and turn the planet green — changing the composition of the atmosphere.

We didn't think life could survive in many of the most extreme environments here on earth until the last few decades. Somehow life manages to find a way. I think it would be a mistake to assume life on another planet has to be dictated to our current rule set

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 14 May 2021 - 04:25 PM.

• Skywatcher and shiftingshadows like this

#9 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:19 PM

Who knows what's taking place, on mars. One can only hope the same spot on Mars, gets photographed again. I have heard of extremophiles in hot springs, bacteria deep in mines, blind fish in caves, and strange creatures around undersea "smokers", but had never heard of fungi alone on rocks. I had thought fungi combine with an algae to form lichens to do that, so thanks for the link.

Edited by shiftingshadows, 15 May 2021 - 12:19 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#10 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:51 PM

also of interest

https://blogs.scient...fungi-in-space/

https://duckduckgo.c...=hd&va=u&ia=web

https://duckduckgo.c...=hc&va=u&ia=web

• Skywatcher and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#11 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:29 PM

Making martian dirt eh, sweet.........fungi traveling in the soil......it certainly does here.....

Very cool stuff folks! Thanks for sharing this......

A

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!