• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:31 PM

I have a small ozone generator that I use in the house to neutralize odors, and it does a wonderful job at that. For those of you who are not familiar with ozone, it is a molecule with an extra oxygen atom (O3), making it very reactive and consequently useful in a variety of antimicrobial tasks ranging from air purification to water purification and even certain medical treatments (I have another, medical-grade ozone machine that I have used on myself for treating Lyme disease - but that's another story). 

So I got to thinking about my still air box and my desire to make certain that there are no stray germs or mold spores present when I use it, and I decided to utilize my ozone generator. I bought a small air filter from Ace Hardware that is rated for filtering mold spores, cut it out of its frame, carefully removed the metal reinforcing mesh, and placed a piece over the air intake on the ozone generator.

IMG_1655.jpeg  IMG_1657.jpeg IMG_1662.jpeg IMG_1663.jpeg  

Then I traced the outline of the front of the generator onto the side of my plastic tub SAB and cut it out using a hot knife blade. I taped over the edges of the exterior of the opening with a 1/8 inch overlap so that when I put the front of the generator through it, the tape would provide a good seal. 

IMG_1667.jpegIMG_1665.jpeg

I cleaned the interior of the SAB using IPA as usual and put the lid on, then ran the ozone generator for about a minute so it could fill the SAB with ozone. I turned off the generator (while leaving it in place) and covered the arm openings on the front of the SAB to seal it from outside air. After a few minutes to let the ozone in the SAB do its' anti-microbe thing I uncovered the arm openings and used the SAB in normal fashion, with greater confidence that the air inside of it was free of unwanted microscopic critters. 

IMG_1670.jpeg

Ozone gets a bad rap as a deadly gas but that is only in very high concentrations, which is not what a home ozone generator can create. Still, if you breathe the ozone from directly in front of the generator it can irritate the lungs, so one must use common sense. The little bit of ozone that would come out of the arm holes while using the SAB would not likely be an issue. Here is the unit that I use for air purification: https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So for whatever it may be worth...

Edited by PaceArrow, 13 May 2021 - 06:55 PM.

• Sidestreet, Hash_Man, makinbones69 and 1 other like this

#2 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 06:50 PM

Hmmm. Pretty cool setup you've built there.

If it kills the undesirables I can see this being a good addition to the cleanliness weaponry.

Nice work!
  • PaceArrow likes this

#3 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 06:55 PM

Way overkill my SAB get's an actual cleaning maybe once a year...More power to you!

#4 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 06:57 PM

Newbie overcautiousness maybe, though I figure it might also allow me to use the SAB in a glovebox-ish way without it being a glove box..

#5 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 8,967 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:14 PM

Let us know how it works for you.

#6 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:35 PM

Let us know how it works for you.

I will. I may test it by leaving an agar dish uncovered in the SAB for a similar time as I would in a glovebox, to learn how clean the air is after the ozone treatment. 

#7 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:49 PM

Sterility has nothing to do with your still airbox success. It's all about still air, you have to move real slow and carefully and what not. That's all there is to still air boxes.

• Hash_Man, pastyoureyes, rockyfungus and 1 other like this

#8 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:14 PM

honey

vinegar
  • PaceArrow likes this

#9 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:23 PM

Are you saying I am being rude? 

#10 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:09 PM

Are you saying I am being rude?

Yes.

It's not so much what you say, as how you say it. To me that comment came across as "that's wrong, stupid, and unnecessary" and i believe constructive criticism is a good thing but when it comes across with THAT feeling it's just a buzzkill.

I don't know who pacearrow is other than another total noob who's probably really excited about his/her new contraption and I think it's very rude to explain that it's function is completely unnecessary. Im not arguing with your definition of a SAB. But maybe just add a "hey that's pretty cool" to it and people might not take offense. People like "good job" not "your wrong". You've been doing it to me as well.

And dammit. It was an excellent job. Pacearrow I was impressed with your workmanship. Very excellent clean assembly and I am going to build myself one someday attached to a large glove box.

Sandman. I know you're just being you and you've got lots more experience. But a lot of us are newbies who are really excited about this stuff since its new and awesome. Maybe just try to phrase it so it doesn't squash our excitement in a new cool hobby.
  • PaceArrow likes this

#11 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Old Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,582 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:20 PM

it's all in interpretation man.. good info is good info wherever you find it.

Edited by Hash_Man, 14 May 2021 - 04:30 PM.

#12 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:35 PM

I think you are just a little mad that I told you your agar sucks.

I didn't say anything rude here in this thread for sure.

It was literally a simple statement of facts with nowhere to take it as rude.

PaceArrow is a awesome member to have. He didn't take that as rude, did you brother? You did cause you're mad at me. Don't worry man I'll still help you out with your threads.

It's true that I was saying it is unnecessary and wrong, in a NICE way actually, because that is what it is and I MUST SAY THAT because this is my area of expertise and this is a fucking public forum and we need to be able to say when an idea is bad without some old punk getting his feelings hurt.

Keep up the good work Pacearrow nothing but love my dude/bro-ette

• PaceArrow likes this

#13 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:24 PM

I want to make clear to PaceArrow that I do not think this is stupid. I think it's a great attempt at something you didn't fully understand yet. I love the clever thinking.

• PaceArrow likes this

#14 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:13 PM

I would like to acknowledge both Oldpunk and sandman.

Oldpunk I really appreciate your care and concern. You went out on a limb for me and that shows such courage and heart. I knew that in posting my little “SAB Ozone Tek” that it would likely draw all kinds of responses, and I am learning from some of those responses, even if their presentation ouches my ego a little. Again, thank you so much.

And sandman I want to thank you for the many times you have already offered me guidance since I joined this community several weeks ago. Its true that your are pretty direct and unvarnished sometimes. However I don’t take offense and I know you have a great amount of knowledge to share and that you genuinely care about newbies like me learning from your experience. You actually remind me of a mentor of mine from many years ago.

I am coming to truly value this diverse community of myconauts and feel fortunate to be here amongst others who have such deep respect for what to some are true sacraments.

Edited by PaceArrow, 14 May 2021 - 10:16 PM.

• sandman likes this

#15 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:17 PM

I want to make clear to PaceArrow that I do not think this is stupid. I think it's a great attempt at something you didn't fully understand yet. I love the clever thinking.

Thank you sandman!

Edited by PaceArrow, 14 May 2021 - 10:17 PM.

• sandman likes this

#16 cflashor

cflashor

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:46 PM

it's all in interpretation man.. good info is good info wherever you find it.

But what if it isn't good info? Information isn't "good" just because someone said it and we should respect sandman for calling people out. Contamination does not respect opinions or perspectives and while as a community we should respect each other, objectivity does play a large role in this work.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!