Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Can myc overrun contams? Or what is this?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VibrationalAlchemy

VibrationalAlchemy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:22 PM

Hey all, I would love some experienced opinions about this.

This is a BRF cake, made with hpoo, verm, BRF.  Sterilized at 15 psi for 90 min.  Inoculated with Costa Rica Cubensis in SAB.  All other jars do not have any signs of contamination, but this one, which had the most aggressive growth, had a black spot after about a week of growth.  It seemed to be between the myc and the jar.  I examined it curiously with a jewelers loop, and saw that it was indeed black and not part of the poo or verm (so my inexperienced self thinks)  So I removed it from the general area of the other jars, just to see how it would progress.

I figured it was doomed, but as the mycelium continued to colonize, the black seemed to stay about the same, never really spreading.  In fact, as I look at it through the loop today it seems there is noticeably less black than before.  It has been colonizing for at least 10 more days since I first noticed it.

Is it possible the mycelium is neutralizing a contam?  Or why would the contam not be spreading?  Maybe it isn't a contamination.  Through the jewelers loop it definitely looks foreign, but then again, maybe I'm the foreign one  :laugh:    I'm not sure how visible it will be in the pics.

IMG_7198.PNG IMG_7197.PNG

My plan for this jar is to birth it into a hole dug in a flower pot outside and cover it with some sterilized or pasteurized straw for a microclimate, maybe put some hydrated verm or perlite underneath.  It is already in the high 80s and 90s where I live, but was just gonna stick it in the shade keep it moist and hope for the best.  Any other brilliant ideas?

Is it a good idea to cut off the portion where the contamination is/was before fruiting it in the pot?

~Thanks

#2 livefrom215

livefrom215

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:19 AM

What did you use to inoculate? If you used a spore syringe it could be spores clumped together. I am also new to this though so I'd wait for a more experienced individual to respond. I get excited when I see others responding to my questions so I wanted to add my 2 cents lol. Good luck with your grow!!!

#3 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:56 AM

That would be an astronomical number of spores...Keep an eye on it, but it's looking like a blackish/grey mold. If it is a mold just fruit it outside like you mentioned, no need to hack away the contamed area. 

Is this your first grow?  "This is a BRF cake, made with hpoo, verm, BRF."
Stick to a normal PF cake without additives and you'll have better success.

• kcmoxtractor likes this

#4 livefrom215

livefrom215

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:26 AM

very true lol

#5 VibrationalAlchemy

VibrationalAlchemy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:13 PM

What did you use to inoculate? If you used a spore syringe it could be spores clumped together. I am also new to this though so I'd wait for a more experienced individual to respond. I get excited when I see others responding to my questions so I wanted to add my 2 cents lol. Good luck with your grow!!!

Yep, I forgot to say it was a Spore Syringe.  Thanks for the response!

That would be an astronomical number of spores...Keep an eye on it, but it's looking like a blackish/grey mold. If it is a mold just fruit it outside like you mentioned, no need to hack away the contamed area. 

Is this your first grow?  "This is a BRF cake, made with hpoo, verm, BRF."
Stick to a normal PF cake without additives and you'll have better success.

Thanks, I appreciate your response.

I have done a few grows and been pretty successful, but I wouldn't call myself experienced.  The reason I used manure is because I was following Waylit's Pan Cyan TEK and I had extra substrate, so I threw it in some half pint jars for cubes.  Planning to crumble them into a bulk manure sub.  So I thought it would be good to start with manure too.

When you say I will have more success with out manure, is it just because the higher nutrient content is more prone to contams?  My thinking is that once colonized, one cake is the same as another as far as contamination is concerned....  do you agree?  

#6 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:04 PM

Nutritious mediums are more prone to contamination.

Doesn’t hurt to add a bit of poo to cakes if you’re spawning to manure. Just a bit riskier if you’re new to the process.

Personally I prefer coir as it doesn’t need any prep and I don’t notice huge differences in outcomes.

#7 VibrationalAlchemy

VibrationalAlchemy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 10:22 AM

Nutritious mediums are more prone to contamination.

Doesn’t hurt to add a bit of poo to cakes if you’re spawning to manure. Just a bit riskier if you’re new to the process.

Personally I prefer coir as it doesn’t need any prep and I don’t notice huge differences in outcomes.

Noted!  Thank you  :thumbs_up2:

#8 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:18 AM

When you say I will have more success with out manure, is it just because the higher nutrient content is more prone to contams?  My thinking is that once colonized, one cake is the same as another as far as contamination is concerned....  do you agree?  

Sorry missed this part. Once colonized you don't really have to worry about contamination of the cakes. If the manure was improperly pasteruized, you may green out before the myc takes hold, or you may just get a flush and then the whole bulk contams. 

I'd circle that area with a sharpie if you don't mind inking your jar and watching if the dark spot increases in size. 

#9 VibrationalAlchemy

VibrationalAlchemy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 12:57 PM

Oops... Thanks, I missed your response.  The manure was sterilized 90min at 15PSI. (per Waylit's Pan TEK, although I ended up shooting a few jars up with cube spores)   I did take some pictures of the mold and it never really changed much.

Once it was fully colonized and let to sit for another 4-5days, I ended up just birthing and crumbling it into an outside flower pot with some pasteurized straw and hpoo covered with a little soil and then a little straw on top just to experiment and see what happens with it.  If I get any results I will follow up.   :cool:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!