• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kidbuu

Kidbuu

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:17 AM

Hi guys, I've tried so many times already and I just can't get any prints. I place the caps on a piece of foil, put a jar on top with a little opening so it can breath. I've waited 24 hs, 48 hours, I've tried cutting the caps off at different times, and always the same result: no spores on the foil and the caps all wet and horrible.

This is what I end up with:

20210514_100635.jpg 20210514_100723.jpg 20210514_100717.jpg

What could I possibly be doing wrong?

#2 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:34 AM

So the caps don't look like that going in I assume? Because yikes...

You must have bacterial blotch on all of your crops from keeping the fruits too moist is my guess if this is always happening. Can I see what the crops look like before you slice a cap off? 

Normally you do not let the cup breath at all. If you are getting airflow in there the caps usually dry out instead of printing well. But yours are going bacterial instead of drying out which makes me think you must have really bacterial caps. 

#3 Kidbuu

Kidbuu

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:16 PM

Hell no, they look great when I harvest:

20210513_004527.jpg 20210513_004547.jpg 20210513_004615.jpg

I of course didn't use those for prints but the others are no different. When I try with little ones they go super black. I don't know what to do

#4 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:42 PM

Hmm that's really strange. Do you live in a rainforest or something?

Anyone else have any ideas about this?

Try to change up the print method I guess.

I like short rubbermade containers where I can lay a whole sheet of foil across and lay the a bunch of caps on there.

edit: how are you getting the cap to the foil? Maybe your bare hands? Most people do something like a piece of bent paperclip thru the cap and then cut with a scalpel so you dont touch it.

Edited by sandman, 14 May 2021 - 05:44 PM.

#5 Kidbuu

Kidbuu

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:18 AM

I live in a very humid city if that's a concern. What I do is wear gloves, rub hands with alcohol, clean the foil with alcohol, lay the foil inside my sab, open the fruiting chamber, flame the scalpel, cool it down with alcohol, I grab the cap with one hand and cut with the other, then place the cap over the foil, put a piece of cotton by it's side and place a jar on top leaving an airflow entrance using the cotton.

Should I try without the jar?

#6 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:41 AM

OK stop touching the cap haha

Use a bent paper clip and stick it through the cap.

Gloved hands aren't sterile. Touch an agar plate with one.

#7 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 10:20 AM

put a piece of cotton by it's side and place a jar on top leaving an airflow entrance using the cotton.

You don't want airflow! Just put a jar you use for grain on top of the cap on foil. Don't do anything fancy. Just cap on foil, jar on top. Forget it. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!