• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#241 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 02:30 AM

Ok, the rest of the flush is ready to be picked. Total weight from the next pick is 438.7g wet. Total being prepped for dehydration today is 847.7g with yesterday and today's picks. This should dry down to maybe 80g or in that area. I'll report on the final dried down weight tomorrow once the dehydration session has completed. Due to the amount of large fruits, I may have the timer set for 22 hours instead of 20, just to be extra certain.

And that wraps it up for the 5th flush. The substrate is now dunked again to get rehydrated in preparation for the 6th flush. If the 6th and onward keep going like this, I will probably never stop until I absolutely cannot continue anymore lol.

Oh, holy shit. I actually had to use the extra shelf in my dehydrator because of the amount of mushrooms. This is the first flush where I had to use a full extra shelf. Dehydrator is around 97% full.

Edited by rhapsodyclaymore, 27 August 2021 - 03:09 AM.

#242 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 03:59 AM

Did you make any clones? Or just riding that block till it turns to dust

#243 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2021 - 04:29 AM

Outdoors stuff needs to be shaded and protected from the drying winds too.....

Back In the cubie days I found that grasses and other greenery growing on the bed(s) and kept "rained upon" i.e. spray misting regularly worked very well indeed.....

Many mushrooms really do seem to thrive in and covered with dirt.....

Your enthusiasm and excitement are contagious......enjoy..... :cool:

A

• rockyfungus, rhapsodyclaymore and MushLuvR like this

#244 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 04:39 AM

Did you make any clones? Or just riding that block till it turns to dust

I haven't done anything. I'm right now just riding the block until it... well doesn't produce anymore. I'm dunking the tub between flushes so dust probably won't happen.

I've used 13/15ml of the original spore syringe, and I have 2-3 agar cups fully colonized in the refrigerator too to take more samples from. The samples used in the other agar plates were from those cups in the refrigerator.

• Arathu and rockyfungus like this

#245 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 August 2021 - 02:11 AM

Alrighty, the dry cycle is done and it is 60.6g dry. A bit less than I thought, however, still really not a bad amount in the end. This puts my reserve at 300.5g.

I should also have explained further about the agar cups in the refrigerator. What I meant was, the 3 original cups that I took 12 samples from to transfer into the no-pour agar cups came from those 3 in the refrigerator. I have the originals from all the spore samples that made everything I have right now still saved.

#246 thafunkyone

thafunkyone

don't take no shit son!

• OG VIP
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 08:59 PM

Transfers went well today. Made 13 transfers from the agar cups shown above. I found again that it's a bit difficult sometimes to get the chunk of agar off the end of the blade tip into the new agar plates. A couple times I had to take my disinfected and gloved finger tip to give it a little push to get it off. All while trying to not move around very much on top of the plate.

Anyway, let's see how the next 7 days go with these plates. Once one of the jars starts taking hold on the new agar a bit, I'll toss it in the refrigerator to keep things slow and use the 12 cups left for populating my 12x 250ml jars I have.

Hey! I know this is a few months old, but I have a solution to the problem many ppl have- I use fruit corers to cut agar....a cherry pitter actually. so in one hand I have a scalpel, and the other I have the pitter, they have serrated edges, so I pop it in where I want my cut. twist 45 degrees, and pull it out, then put the pitter over where I want the agar piece and pop it out with the scalpel. I line up however many plates I need- I usually take 10 at a time- and can do all 10 in under a minute.

I got the pitter off amazon- a 4 pack of different sized corer/pitters cost like 5 bucks. makes transfers 10000x easier, and I don't need to hold onto the plate.

Woah. I actually was just thinking this weekend about how difficult it was to get the agar chunk out for transfers and into the spawn jars. This is actually a good bit of advice! Thank you! Are you also doing this in a SAB or are you doing this in front of a flow hood?

Dried weight from the recent pick was 19.5g. Total in reserve is 167.6g. Hopefully in a couple days I'll see more fresh pins forming after the tub got really soaked down.

Flowhood. you could use in a SAB but for my projects I have a flowhood. makes life sooo much easier. you can get one for around 1k, which I know is out of some hobbyists price range, but once you have a flowhood it should last years if you replace the filter on occasion and make sure to keep stuff away from the intake on the blower motor...it can pull paper in very easily. I have a habit of putting tools on top of mine, I just make sure they're on the left side of the blower...here is a pic of what I'm talking about toolwise- they come in 3-4 packs of different sizes, I just use the smallest one, allows me to take decent sized pieces for transfer without making wonky looking cuts- scalpels don't cut straight in plates, and I like uniform things. 

Edit: Also some nice lil good fruiting monocultures....we never had things like this when I started....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1835.jpg

Edited by thafunkyone, 01 September 2021 - 09:00 PM.

• Sidestreet, Arathu and rhapsodyclaymore like this

#247 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 05:15 AM

Just a short update. The 6th flush is a bit slow. There's maybe 6-7 fruits close to or will soon be havest-able. There are some good smaller pins that are just taking a while to kick off still on the surface. The winning grows actually are the side pins which are the good ones. The side pins, for the most part, actually are growing in the right direction which is a huge plus.

I'm fairly confident that this could be the end flush, however, it's just minimal work at this point to drag the bin back and forth twice a day and to fan twice a day, so I'm going to ride this one out and see what happens. If I get another 40g dry from it, then I consider that a success.

When this substrate is spent, I will take a small break and then see about trying to grow some other mushrooms for practice. On my list are the non magic kind too -- starting from print/syringe and working my way up again.

I still find it incredible how far I managed to come in my myco journey by reading, patience, and such a nice community to support me. Thank you all for that!

#248 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:16 AM

Ok, so far flush 6 has netted 233.6g wet. There's still a fair amount of pins left so I'll wait on the drying until the others have matured enough to pick. It's considerably less than flush 5, but still not bad. I'll see how this one goes before deciding to stop on this substrate. The 233.6g so far should dry down to maybe 18g.

#249 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 02:37 PM

And the final count pulled right now is 435.6g wet. I guestimate it could be 35g dry in the end. Let's see after 22 hours in the dehydrator.

There's probably a dozen side pins that are too small to harvest (not big enough yet to pick, can let them go more) so I'll let those mature for another couple days before doing a smaller batch.

I noticed my substrate is still quite saturated still. I heavily doubt I will need to dunk it again given how wet it is on the sides.

I'll put it back into fruiting conditions again after this flush has been harvested to see how the 7th will go. If I'm getting 25g or so per week/flush, that's really not bad and I'm willing to continue. If I estimate usage (personal) at 10g per month, that's a 2.5 month supply at hand and it's all gravy in the end.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#250 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 04:50 AM

Ok, not too far off from my estimate. 27.2g dry is the final weight.

#251 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 01:51 AM

Ok, checking in on how flush #8 is going. There's still a lot of life left inside. Due to the colder temperatures, I've added my thermal heater underneath the box to boost the temps, cause more humidity, etc and it is noticeably better in the last 5 days since using it.

What is not shown in this pic is a large mushroom who's veil broke yesterday afternoon and I harvested it. It clocked in at 27g wet.

flush-8.png

This is pretty much a good harvest, not massive, but also not bad. I will likely need to start a 6th 1 liter glass storage jar after this one. My 5x filled 1 liter jars are at 99% capacity right now. It's been a good first grow.

• Sidestreet and YoshiTrainer like this

#252 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 667 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:22 AM

You're still going on that same sub?

Wow.

I never even tried for a 3rd flush on any of mine.

Nice work Rhapsody

#253 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:29 AM

You're still going on that same sub?

Wow.

I never even tried for a 3rd flush on any of mine.

Nice work Rhapsody

Indeed, it is still going. I'm just letting it ride to see what I can still get. I harvested ~194g wet total today from it and I'll let the others left mature more tomorrow or Thursday before picking them.

After adding the thermal heater on the bottom of the bin, it really perked up with the grow since the 7th flush. My issue was during the dunking sessions between flushes, the substrate got saturated too much and the smell in the bin smelled like water that had been sitting too long. The substrate is leaking out a bit of water on the sides too -- it's just too wet basically. In addition, since it was damp, it wasn't able naturally to raise the humidity that much due to the lower temps the last couple weeks.

The thermal pad I had bought in the spring (but not used yet) has really helped bring the substrate surface feeling back to where it was during the hotter parts of the summer. You know, that small bubble of humid warm air above the substrate. It was lacking during the 7th flush. Plus, the heat is helping to get the substrate less saturated and really causing the bin interior to get really foggy and dripping with humidity. Even the underside of the lid is really saturated, far more saturated with condensation than I've seen in the last weeks, which is a good sign.

I'll keep this going still until I get bored. I already have over 320g (or around 310g) dried in reserve right now. I'll keep this bin going because the work is minimal per day and the yields are actually looking not bad as you can see from the photos.

• Sidestreet likes this

#254 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:33 AM

Ok, the rest of them are more mature, caps opened up, one even fell over because it as too tall. Ready for dehydration today. Final pick from the rest of the mature ones was 111.3g wet. Total is 305.3g being dried today. I estimate that 20-25g dry in the end which is not bad for a 95% grown 8th flush.

Let's see how the 9th flush will go!

Edited by rhapsodyclaymore, 15 September 2021 - 01:59 AM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#255 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 02:35 AM

The final weight in the end was 19.7g dry. I'll take that!

• Sidestreet and Arathu like this

#256 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 03:27 AM

Alright, the final last of flush 8 has been harvested and in the dehydrator now that they have matured enough. Weigh-in is 70g which maybe should dry down to ~5g.

I am doubtful that a 9th flush will yield much, but I am prepared to be surprised. Let's see what happens in the next week! I think at that point I'll make a decision to pop the sub into the garden or not. It's been quite the journey with my first sub and it's pretty awesome what it was able to produce.

Edited by rhapsodyclaymore, 17 September 2021 - 03:28 AM.

• Sidestreet likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!