• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 04:18 PM

Can you get activated charcoal powder? It's good stuff to add to agar. Better than food color.

I would need to actually check into that. Good reminder. I only added the food coloring since I have, a lot of it.

#22 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 01:53 AM

So, here is what the agar 3 cups look like today. Looking like textbook growth. I will monitor it for another 1-2 days before making a decision to transfer parts of it to the new agar plates I created last night.

1.JPG

This is really exciting to see!

Edited by rhapsodyclaymore, 19 May 2021 - 01:57 AM.

• YoshiTrainer and Oldpunk like this

#23 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 07:38 AM

Just a comment on the no-pours: in the batches I've made (small jars, and large jars now), I have condensation in either a a small amount or a large amount on the sides of the glass inside the jars.

Is there a way to reduce this? Or, how is everyone else handling this with their no-pours?

#24 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2021 - 07:54 AM

It happens on the cooldown from the temperature difference. Make sure they aren't in a chilly area when they are cooling off. But there will naturally be some with these, the visibility is the downside for nopour. Also store them in as stabile temperature as possible.

Edited by sandman, 19 May 2021 - 07:55 AM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#25 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 08:14 AM

It happens on the cooldown from the temperature difference. Make sure they aren't in a chilly area when they are cooling off. But there will naturally be some with these, the visibility is the downside for nopour. Also store them in as stabile temperature as possible.

I have them in a temp controlled area (same with all agar anyway) and I have it monitored with a digital temp/humidity sensor to ensure they are balanced. But yeah, visibility is what i miss, but since the jars are a ton bigger than those tiny ones I was using, I can get a much better visibility of everything inside.

I think, I think..... Once these 3 agar cups grow out a bit more, I'll do some transfers to the new agar plates and in hopefully 2 weeks once they have grown fully out (will be the 3rd transfer for them), then I can move to spawn jars. I have 12x 250ml jars to use as spawn jars. So 12x agar plates for 12 spawn jar. That's a lot of myc for those jars, I know. But, they should colonize pretty quickly. I'll take a sample out from one of the agar plates into a fresh plate and store in the fridge for another time.

Ideally, if all goes well, I can move to a monotub in the end of June latest, ready for the first flush. I've got a tub ready to go, adjustable heat pad, and digital temp/humidity monitor (wireless) to ensure the correct temps and humidity are met at all times.

#26 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:12 PM

Here is the progress right now.

1.JPG

I think Saturday would be good to do transfers from the stronger sections into the new jars of agar I've made.

Plan: 13 transfers, 12 for spawn jars, 1 for reserve to let grow later to move into 12 more agar jars for another grow. Thoughts?

• Sidestreet, YoshiTrainer and Oldpunk like this

#27 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 11:08 AM

Transfers went well today. Made 13 transfers from the agar cups shown above. I found again that it's a bit difficult sometimes to get the chunk of agar off the end of the blade tip into the new agar plates. A couple times I had to take my disinfected and gloved finger tip to give it a little push to get it off. All while trying to not move around very much on top of the plate.

Anyway, let's see how the next 7 days go with these plates. Once one of the jars starts taking hold on the new agar a bit, I'll toss it in the refrigerator to keep things slow and use the 12 cups left for populating my 12x 250ml jars I have.

• Oldpunk likes this

#28 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 04:04 PM

Nice samples. Good work.

I like your updates. They're very similar in knowledge and materials to my first attempt. Your results are too, if not slightly better than mine. Good luck on the transfer growth and spawn jars.

#29 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 04:19 PM

Nice samples. Good work.

I like your updates. They're very similar in knowledge and materials to my first attempt. Your results are too, if not slightly better than mine. Good luck on the transfer growth and spawn jars.

Thank you! I hope for the best too with the final transfer. I'll post some photos once the transfers take off. I guess, in maybe 7-12 days I'll need to move my new agar transfers to spawn jars. That will be a brilliant milestone!

This new hobby of mine does require tons of patience, and I have it. Can't wait to keep going.

#30 cflashor

cflashor

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 09:20 PM

Can you get activated charcoal powder? It's good stuff to add to agar. Better than food color.

How much per 600ml should one use?

#31 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 8,965 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2021 - 05:28 AM

1 gram or less per 500 mL is plenty but I see that Roger Rabbit said he would add 7-10 grams per liter... course that's from a 14-year-old thread.

Edited by Sidestreet, 23 May 2021 - 05:33 AM.

#32 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 11:14 AM

Alright, tiny update. After waiting about 48 hours, I've checked out the 13 agar transfers and have picked out the slowest grower of the bunch and stuck that one in the fridge. The other 12 are in the same, dark, consistent temperature spot as the last batch. They are growing quite well, with some reaching out with, I guess tenticals? Good strong growth imo.

Plan is Saturday to make up some spawn jars to get those ready and see how well covered the agar plates are when the time comes to move them.

There will be 12x 250ml spawn jars (can do 1 batch of these in my PC) and I'll put in 1 plate per jar. That should yield faster than usual growth as usually 1 of the small 2oz agar plates would be good for 1qt (~950ml).

My tub of choice will be an ~16qt shoebox (clear, non gasket sealing) when the time comes. I do realize that a bigger tub, the bigger the result. However, I'd have to do more jars. To start, if this process goes well, I can easily double what I've done and scale that way. Maybe in the future, I might adapt and change as needed, but for now, this seems to be decent.

#33 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 03:48 PM

I found again that it's a bit difficult sometimes to get the chunk of agar off the end of the blade tip into the new agar plates. A couple times I had to take my disinfected and gloved finger tip to give it a little push to get it off. All while trying to not move around very much on top of the plate.

The thinner you pour the easier it is to transfer agar. When mine gets stuck I'll stick my blade under the agar and try and knock the transfer that way. (flame the whole blade)

Also if you have an accurate scale start decreasing agar by 0.5-1.0g at a time and see what you like. I use 7.3-8.0g per 500mL. Get's rather sticky at lower agar. 

#34 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 03:44 AM

I found again that it's a bit difficult sometimes to get the chunk of agar off the end of the blade tip into the new agar plates. A couple times I had to take my disinfected and gloved finger tip to give it a little push to get it off. All while trying to not move around very much on top of the plate.

The thinner you pour the easier it is to transfer agar. When mine gets stuck I'll stick my blade under the agar and try and knock the transfer that way. (flame the whole blade)

Also if you have an accurate scale start decreasing agar by 0.5-1.0g at a time and see what you like. I use 7.3-8.0g per 500mL. Get's rather sticky at lower agar. 

Good tips! I've got a new accurate scale that I used for all the prep work. It does half gram ranges. Of course, I should probably mention that the problems I had with the stick happening was from the first ever original batch of agar I made. It could have been just from that alone. In my newer batch, I used a tiny bit more distilled water which made them a tiny bit more liquidy on the surface.

I think I need more practice to get this dialed in.

#35 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 05:55 AM

Ok, photo update. Something to show.

These are looking really good. In a few more days, they should be ready for spawn jars.

1.JPG

Same with these. In the upper left jar, it looks like it is not growing a lot, but it appears to be growing more under the surface. If you look carefully, you can see it.

2.JPG

Overall, good strong growth.

My 13th jar is in the refrigerator to keep it cool for use later.

Today or tomorrow, I'll make up some PC'ed spawn jars to prepare for moving these into spawn jars.

• Sidestreet likes this

#36 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 08:29 AM

Hmm, problem. I forgot my 250ml jars are super small. 250ml is like 25% of a quart give or take a tiny bit. I had originally wanted to do like cakes and so I got these wide mouth jars, but since I'm planting them in a shoebox, it makes sense to just get new jars this week (bigger ones) since the amount of agar I have would be like 20% of the 250ml jar once I add it in. Seems like a huge waste of good myc. So I guess I'll scale up from 1 shoebox to 3 shoeboxes instead. The myc hasn't totally taken over the agar jars yet.

I need essentially 3 liters of spawn jars per box from my calculation. But I have 12 agar jars. I could do 12x 500ml jars which wouldn't waste myc. However, that's a lot of myc in the agar so it might make sense to tough it out and do 12x 1liter (~1quart) jars and do 4 shoeboxes. Or I have a 70L tub (has a seal on the top of the lid, but I can flip it over or not seal it with the clamps) and just use that.

Alright, going with the 70L grow (formerly supply storage) bin (clear) with 12x 1L jars. Goddamn. That's going to be 4x more yield than I predicted. Noob problems. Hahahaha. This is quite the learning experience for sure.

#37 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 11:22 AM

Ok, 12x 1liter (~1qt) jars ordered. Should arrive by Wednesday and I'll make spawn jars quick. I've got a 5kg bag of whole oats already which should be more than enough for those jars.

My only concern now is that I need to do up to 3 PC sessions for the jars. I'm not mad, more annoyed. But whatever. I'll do one PC session, let it cool down for an hour or so, then do another and keep going. The best part about spawn jars is that I can make them up in advance the next time I am doing a batch and store them for when they are needed. I'll keep that in mind when I am going to do another batch.

#38 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 09:05 AM

Sounds like big plans. That agar sample that looks like it's under the surface may not colonize well. I've got a few like that and my sample jars from those did not start well.

Each one of those larger jars will spawn a shoebox size tub. I made up a bunch of jars all at once and I'm running out of space to grow them out now. And there's still a few more overdue to spawn. Next time I need to try to space them out like 4 jars every 3 weeks to avoid this..... Or I just need more growing space.

Good luck, it's looking good.
  • rhapsodyclaymore likes this

#39 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 10:03 AM

Ok, I've got a question. Now, I'm a few days off from getting spawn jars. Some of the agar stuff I have has the myc slowly growing up the sides of the jar on a few of them. I've put them in the fridge to slow this from happening. Is there any danger of letting them just run wild in the jar for a few days or should I slow them down?

Thanks for your valuable input.

#40 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 10:04 AM

Sounds like big plans. That agar sample that looks like it's under the surface may not colonize well. I've got a few like that and my sample jars from those did not start well.

Each one of those larger jars will spawn a shoebox size tub. I made up a bunch of jars all at once and I'm running out of space to grow them out now. And there's still a few more overdue to spawn. Next time I need to try to space them out like 4 jars every 3 weeks to avoid this..... Or I just need more growing space.

Good luck, it's looking good.

Oh, on the one that doesn't look great. I've got the 3 original tiny agar cups available still. I never threw them out. They've grown quite a bit and are quite strong despite them taking over more of the cup and working around the cut out sections. Would a good substitute be one of those in place of the one you and I pointed out?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!