• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:27 AM

On the coir sub. After making a few shoeboxes I think about 100g coir per jar is about right. I add about 1/2 cup vermiculite to that. (I don't know the metric conversion for a cup)

The coir bricks I buy are 450g and a full one makes 4 shoeboxes. Those are 5.7liter bins.

If that helps.
And it's ok to peek at the jars. The light will not hurt them unless you set it in the direct sunlight.....i think. I peeked at mine all the time.

Great! Thanks for that! I'm trying to get a formula down that's easily repeatable each time. This really helps get me there.

The grow box I will be using for all 12 jars will be a 70L tub, same type Bod uses, just in metric and with a black rubber seal instead of blue. 70L is between the 54qt and 80qt sizes in the states. This was supposed to be my storage bin for my supplies, but well, now it's going to be used for growing so I don't have to make up multiple shoeboxes plus buy more. Lessons learned, I'm not mad; I get a bigger tub in the end to grow.

This would mean, 12 x 100g coir = 1.2kg of coir which is 2x 650g bricks giving me a total of 1.3kg; that should be acceptable if there's extra. Water weight I have read (bod's update for 2020) it can be 3.5-4x the weight of the coir. So, on the low end (3.5x), the water weight would be 4.55L. For the verm, it would be 6 cups total (I've got a US/Metric measuring cup so that part was easy).

My plan is to use a regular bucket (bucket tek) and to get a 20L bucket (5.28 gal) to use for the mixture. This should be sufficient for the bricks to expand? Coolers (insulated) are mad expensive right now where a simple one is over $260. There's a camping boom right now which is driving the prices up on things used for camping.

Edited by rhapsodyclaymore, 05 June 2021 - 10:31 AM.

#62 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:05 AM

2 bricks will fit in that bucket. I'm guessing it'll expand to about 3/4 full. That's a pretty big bin. If that grows well it's gonna be a LOT of mushrooms.

What kind of mushrooms are you growing again?

#63 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:08 AM

I'm growing GT. They are the easiest to grow and have a pretty good balance of effects. Once I master these, I'll go into others. I've got still that 20+ year old spore print I want to try and revive. Looking at it through the sealed envelope, it looks super large too, from a huge cap. There's tons to work with!

And yeah, the amount is a lot, but, it was unknown how my noob self would actually get this far. I'll properly dry them out and store them with Silica stuff taped to the inside lid of a mason jar until I need them. They should be fine for at least a year.

At the end of the day, if I do like 1-2 grows per year, that's fine. It's enough for myself. After a few grows (or 2) of GTs, I'd like to try the non magic kind since I love mushrooms in general and it would be cool to have fresh ones in batches.

Edited by rhapsodyclaymore, 05 June 2021 - 11:11 AM.

#64 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:20 AM

All cubes grow just about the same...Penis envy is the only one you could give extra love too if you want fruits instead of blobs. 

• rhapsodyclaymore likes this

#65 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:26 AM

All cubes grow just about the same...Penis envy is the only one you could give extra love too if you want fruits instead of blobs. 

I will eventually expand out, and Penis Envy is on my list to go to.

#66 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 10:14 AM

Quick question: For proper fruiting prep conditions, after planting in the box with substrate and spawn, would it be recommended to just put the lid on (non clamped down of course) and lay in perhaps a big black garbage bag? Do this for 10 days, then pull out and initiate light/air conditions for fruiting?

Just thinking ahead. Kinda excited I could have a first flush by mid July ready to go.

#67 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:01 PM

Ok quick update. So, 11 of the 12 jars are doing really good, many better than others. One I thought wasn't doing really anything at all until I shook it a bit to see what's up and noticed that there is a clump of myc growing, but it was near the bottom of the jar and was hidden by the tape ensuring that it doesn't break. It was one of those four jars that cracked. It's certainly starting slowly, but seems to be working.

In the box I have them all in, I rotated that jar with another position to see if it helps any. Temps are between 24.1 and 26.7C which is optimal.

I'll check in later with an update. I anticipate in 1.5 weeks or more I'll be putting them into the box for growing out.

#68 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,062 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:38 PM

The cracks in the bottom of your jars might be from bringing your PC up to pressure too fast. I was getting a couple jars of grain per batch that would crack where the side of the jar meets the bottom. Unfortunately during cooling, my jars would suck up water. Instead of using Med high I just use Med to raise the temp.

Good luck with the grow!

#69 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 01:51 AM

The cracks in the bottom of your jars might be from bringing your PC up to pressure too fast. I was getting a couple jars of grain per batch that would crack where the side of the jar meets the bottom. Unfortunately during cooling, my jars would suck up water. Instead of using Med high I just use Med to raise the temp.

Good luck with the grow!

Thanks! Those 4 jars I mentioned were in the first batch. Inside, I found that the PC ran out of water. The next 2 batches of 4 I was doing turned out perfect. Used more water, less time. Far less time in the PC. Those 8 jars are growing super fast right now.

*edit* eh, whatever. I shook the other 8 (non cracked) jars. They looked like they could have their myc distributed around the jar. Can't wait to see how the next 1-2 weeks work out.

This morning, I shook (carefully) the 4 tapped jars to spread what myc it has around inside. I'm hoping 3 of the 4 can be salvaged. Worst case I run with 8-11 jars instead of all 12 in the end. It was my plan to toss the broken 4 jars once used since they cannot be PC'ed again.

Edited by rhapsodyclaymore, 09 June 2021 - 03:21 AM.

#70 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:00 AM

8 to 11 jars can still make a lot of mushrooms. Don't worry if you decide to lose a few. As far as the tub colonizing that seems like a good plan. With the shoeboxes I cover them with foil and punch a few holes covered in medical tape. Not sure how people do it with larger bins. As long as it can breathe a little bit.

#71 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:54 AM

Normally this would be a TIFU topic, but that many jars is really not a bad thing. I'm willing to give that last one a bit more time just to see what happens. Sill tho, can't complain. This grow is going quite well without many problems.

#72 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:10 AM

So, I can see that on one side of the box, the jars are colonizing faster. I realized when checking the internal temp of the box that on one side, it is about 1-1.5c cooler which is why it is more stunted. To help balance things out, I've added a small thermal heat pad (adjustable) on the cooler side of the box on the lowest setting. I will monitor the temp during the day with my wireless receiver to ensure that it doesn't go above 27.5c which would be bad and encourage contam to happen far faster.

Also, I think that the slower jar I have growing was from the myc in the older pic (the red top no pour jars) that was a bit under the surface. I believe I put that one in this jar as it would make sense based on the progress of the other 11.

#73 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:07 AM

Update today. One of the 12 jars has what appears to be green spots forming all around inside. Small, but is green. Could this be green mold? The agar I used was light blue and was shaken around the jar, so it could be that, however I do know what green mold looks like and I'm curious as to if this is indeed that.

1.JPG

It wasn't there yesterday and I've been monitoring the jars every day periodically. I've since seeing the mold removed the jar from the area of the other jars to avoid cross contam.

Edited by rhapsodyclaymore, 11 June 2021 - 05:41 AM.

#74 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:50 AM

Ugh, I think it could have been from the heat source I added. Eh, probably not. It was only maximum 27c in the very center. And, the jar that went was no where near the heat source directly. It was in the corner of the box.

Edited by rhapsodyclaymore, 11 June 2021 - 07:56 AM.

#75 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:13 AM

If it was from the agar I think you would have seen it before. However, as the mycelium takes hold the agar chunks will change color. Mine were blue also and turned green and yellow as they were consumed. Was it one of the cracked jars?

It's ok if the temps vary a little. Mine are in a closet with temps anywhere from 18-25c. It's been really hot here so with the air conditioning on sometimes that temp swing is within a 6 hour period. They seem to be growing fine.

It's hard to tell from the picture what's going on with that jar, but any colors appearing is not good. Does it smell weird too?

#76 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:20 AM

It was actually NOT one of the cracked jars lol! I've noticed the agar chunks turning different colors (like 2 so far) about as you've encountered as the myc just munches on them for a bit.

Any tips on smelling it or just crack open the lid and have a sniff?

Here's a more close up pic of one area of the jar that's easy to see the mold.
1.JPG

The lid is full sealed up, not loose. I've done this as a precaution. The jar is also separated in "time out" just in case.

Edited by rhapsodyclaymore, 11 June 2021 - 09:33 AM.

#77 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 05:13 AM

Ok, photo time!

So, here is what one of the non broken jars looks like (1 of the remaining 7, 1 has contam [see earlier post]) +/- 5% myc growth. Textbook example right here.

2.JPG

And here is what the 4 broken jars look like in various stages of their own growth.

1.JPG

I think 1 or 2 of the jars may take too long to get done, so I may let those wait longer to fully colonize and do a small shoebox grow with those in a later stage. Thoughts?

The 11 jars so far look very healthy and contam free. I think maybe next weekend or the weekend after, I need to get some substrate mixed up to get these jars rolling into the next phase.

Edited by rhapsodyclaymore, 13 June 2021 - 09:27 AM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#78 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 04:25 PM

Looking good. As long as the other ones grow healthy I don't see why you couldn't try smaller shoeboxes later. Plus then you get a look at how a different size chamber works for you.
I just harvested 2 shoeboxes yesterday and it over filled my dehydrator. So sometimes it is better to spread out the jars instead of starting them all at once. Or that's what I'm finding personally.

#79 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 04:50 PM

Looking good. As long as the other ones grow healthy I don't see why you couldn't try smaller shoeboxes later. Plus then you get a look at how a different size chamber works for you.
I just harvested 2 shoeboxes yesterday and it over filled my dehydrator. So sometimes it is better to spread out the jars instead of starting them all at once. Or that's what I'm finding personally.

Wow, I never considered staggering the grow based on the dehumidifier. That's gonna be interesting!

How reliable is it to sun dry fresh shrooms?

#80 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 05:53 AM

Short update, I think by the weekend of so, all the slower jars should have balanced out and consumed everything. I don't see any problem to plant them all in the bin. The only question is, when to put them into substrate. I need to check out some resources to verify when is a good time to do this.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!