• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 04:18 AM

So, today I've got the first step of substrate going. 2x 650g (weighed, of course), 4.55L water (using 3.5x water), and 6 cups of fine vermiculite. Even with 11 jars, the formula is for quart jars, not liter. 11 liter jars equals 11.55qt of spawn. So, I expect to have a tiny bit left over. Despite losing 1 jar, the formula is not that far off for 11 liters of jars in the end.

In around 6-7 hours, I should be ready for moving into the tub.

*edit* Turned out a bit too dry after 30 minutes. Adding another 1.75L of boiling water. Trying to dial in the brand of coco coir. This means the formula for water is between 4.5-5x the coir weight. For the future, I will likely use 5x the coir weight with this brand of coir I am using.

*edit 2* Extra water seems to have helped. Now the soil mixture isn't so dry and I was able to complete a mix cycle after the usual ~1 hour wait time. I'll let this steamy pile of soil sit for another 5-6 hours today and see how it is and check field capacity.

Edited by rhapsodyclaymore, 19 June 2021 - 05:21 AM.

#82 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 11:43 AM

After 7+ hours now, the coir is still between 98-103F depending where the temperature is taken. What a heatwave. Anyway, I think maybe in another 2-4 more hours, or even tomorrow, it is ready to go. I did a field test and after a heavy squeeze of a handful, a bit of water dripped out. Looks good for field capacity. I've mixed it up nice and good to get out most of the clumps.

#83 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:55 AM

The 70L tub has been planted. Used not all of the coir mixture (I'd say maybe used 85-90%), but that's fine. It's about 4.5 inches deep and well mixed with a casing layer on top (light casing) and was gently misted as well as the sides of the box to boost humidity. Now, we wait 9-10 days and see if pinning happens. Got my wireless temp/humidity sensor inserted into the box to monitor everything. Can't wait for the next 3 weeks!

*edit* This sensor rocks. Current box environment is at ~27c with 55% humidity. It's 5% humidity more than usual outside. I think I have a good start with my mini micro climate :)

Edited by rhapsodyclaymore, Yesterday, 07:47 AM.

#84 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:50 AM

When i mix the coir with the grain I cover the bin and let it colonize for about 10 days. And then add your casing and start misting fanning.

#85 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:12 PM

When i mix the coir with the grain I cover the bin and let it colonize for about 10 days. And then add your casing and start misting fanning.

I have it covered, not air tight, and cased and did a misting on the surface. I heard it can help stimulate the pinning faster like after a rain storm. I'll let it sit there for 10 days until I can see pinning and then move to light and FAE.

#86 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:02 PM

Huh..... I guess I never heard of casing it right away. But i am certainly no expert. I hope it works out good. I can't wait to see the results.

#87 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:12 PM

Huh..... I guess I never heard of casing it right away. But i am certainly no expert. I hope it works out good. I can't wait to see the results.

June 30th, I should be ready to put the box into fruiting conditions. Fingers crossed! I am deeply excited and cannot wait to get this growing out.

#88 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:20 PM

Nice! I have my last batch of agar trials to open on the 26th.

Good luck Rhapsody

#89 rhapsodyclaymore

rhapsodyclaymore

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted Today, 01:27 AM

Nice! I have my last batch of agar trials to open on the 26th.

Good luck Rhapsody

Good luck to you too! Hopefully it will be an exciting summer!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!