21 replies to this topic

#1 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2021 - 02:13 PM

I have always said  social media platforms like twitter are a fake pulse of any nation, it is an ideologicaly concentrated platform of vocal minorities. Mostly formed from very opinionated people that happen to live in the major coastal cities across north America. The latter part being a quantifiable metric that others have worked to highlight.

It is so fake on there, anyone with a big enough voice is worried about what they say.  One slip of the tongue will get them cancelled. Career over. There is so much toxic grandstanding and virtue signalling that it has become comical at this point.

One still likes to hear others opinions however so I found myself checking the comment sections more frequently. It used to be mostly only good for the jokes but now it has changed. There is a desire of wanting to know what people are really thinking about on these day to day issues of our time. I must say that the partisan nature does make it more confusing however. If you click on a fox news video it seems like 90% of the people commenting are conservatives agreeing with the video, and if you click on say an MSNBC video similar responses of viewer ship agreeing with the material.

That algorithm is hard at work making sure we stay in our little echo chambers

It seems more and more you see the comment section turned off for anything controversial. God forbid the people spread that disinformation and accidentally hear something counter to the established narrative they are trying to push. It seems like this really blew up over the last year.

I laughed out loud when i saw they left the comments on, not many brainwashing channels do!!

I am telling you in a few more years that is going to be where people go to find the truth, or their version of the truth perhaps.... The once reviled corner of the internet may turn out to be something useful

Anyway I thought this video had an interesting comment section due to the publications in the clips. Or does that function as click bait for right wingers chasing down mask videos... I could not say. 

[Direct Link]

Anyway, I am interested if anyone else has noticed these trends.

• Arathu and EYMAIOS like this

#2 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:31 PM

Comment sections might be the only place people with opposing ideas can talk to each other. I believe people have got better (in my echo chamber) at talking with others who disagree - fewer personal attacks, trolls ignored more, better discussion. It's still infuriating but less so.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#3 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,432 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2021 - 05:14 PM

I've kept my mouth shut about this for some time now for appearing to be a crank, crazy, or conspiracy nut but what the heck, everybody seems to be one of those lately.

Decades ago I was a Reserve Policeman. Glorified crossing guard really. To do this job I had to go to a slightly watered down police academy but learned enough about the Fourth Amendment and rules about Search and Seizure and such to speak with confidence about it.

Two other guys from my city got to be good friends during the schooling and kept up the friendships for a few years after the schooling. One of them was clearly there just to check off a box and put a big chip in his resume because he had aspirations of joining the Feds.

Fast forward a few years and I ran into him and had a chance to catch up. He'd been to Iraq on the federal dime and had enough of that shit show and looked for a different way to make a living.

I'll paraphrase what he told me, with very little interpretation except to keep this brief.

"I got hired by a private company with federal contracts. My job is to go online and filthy up any and every comments section and online forum I can fit into an eight hour day. All day every day all I do is add pointless or irritating or misleading posts. Those were my instructions and that's what I did. You wouldn't believe how many of these places I've been to. So I developed a few online Identities and made a point of visiting some of the social media places frequently enough to be recognized as an asshole and continued to agitate just for the sake of agitating - it's what I was being paid to do."

"I asked one of the myriad, seemingly rotating, bosses I had why we're doing this and he replied curtly and unkindly  " Don't ask questions".  These bosses came and went surprisingly often. So did the physical locations where I worked. Always moving and to the strangest places. Like those ubiquitous cell tower buildings at the freeway interchanges, suburban office buildings which usually also housed  a branch of one of the Three Letter Agencies."

"It was seldom that I was in a group of people, often working alone. Nobody attempted comraderie and when I did it was met with the same cold shoulder I got from the boss. No getting a beer with the coworkers, no office parties, no female employees, nothing you'd expect of a work environment. The only thing I remember hearing consistently was how bad everybody wanted to pay their dues here and move up to something better - but- nobody knew or was saying what the next better step up was."

"The only thing I'm fairly sure of is that we were a small part of a much bigger cog. I could know the ownership of my employers' company and see that the company was a shell within a holding company, and that the holding company was owned in France. "

"I did this for just over a year and burned out on the incivility and utter pointlessness of it. Nevermind I could never get an answer about what or why we were doing this."

(pharmer talking now) So, if you ever got the impression that social media and possibly this or similar forums were (slightly) populated by paid demons your gut feeling was right. I  trusted this dude when I knew him fairly well and trusted his report as he gave it.

Think about some of the most assholey, inappropriate, stupid shit you've seen here there and everywhere. What sane person would make that kind of remark? and seemingly without a whit of knowledge about the topic at hand.

Starts to make a type of sense, eh?

I'll leave it to y'all to do the speculating. I have my theory.

Edited by pharmer, 16 May 2021 - 05:15 PM.

• roc, TVCasualty, Myc and 8 others like this

#4 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:29 PM

I mean I could see the odd asshole out there trolling, but your right. There does seem to be an over abundance of random inflammatory responses

Wait a minute, are you suggesting Russia is not the only country that uses troll farms?  :victorious:

You hear people talk about this kind of stuff in the media, but due to its clandestine nature it can get brushed off easily. Rare to hear first hand accounts of it transpiring

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 11:54 AM

Those arrogantly-smug sociopathic assholes who set up and operate troll farms have apparently not learned the rookie lesson for wanna-be sorcerers that Mickey Mouse learned the hard way in Fantasia.

He fell asleep for a moment and the broom overdid it, then when he woke up and tried to stop it by chopping it up the pieces grew into new brooms and made the problem exponentially worse. Uh-oh.

QAnon seems to be an example of this; its original creators cannot stop it or shut it down at this point (though they may not have tried to yet). Since Fantasia was a cartoon, someone bigger and more powerful arrived in the nick of time to save Mickey before he was drowned by his own actions but no such savior exists for us as these dark waters continue to rise.

Misinformation, disinformation, and propaganda are forms of power. And when it comes to exercising power in any context (especially the dark side) the first rule is "Do not call up any that you cannot put down."

I think it was originally the First Rule for exercising any form of power. Deception used for negative or harmful purposes is arguably a form of "black magick" and when (not if) it gets out of the sorcerer's control there will be hell to pay for all, including the sorcerers.

All roads lead to Chaos now.

They used to lead to Rome, but the Romans fucked it all up (meaning Western Civilization) when they adopted Christianity and eventually facilitated the trashing and ultimately the total destruction of the Great Library of Alexandria. There is a direct causal connection between that event and the surreal shitstorm we're watching unfold now, as chronicled (with abundant sources cited) in The Immortality Key by Brian Muraresku.

I would argue that "civilization" has been in steady decline ever since. Developing advanced technology and evolving culturally as a cohesive and stable, sustainable civilization are totally different subjects. This is proven by the fact that arguably-obsolete Messianic religions that resemble superstitious pyramid schemes and offer placebos in lieu of direct experience (i.e., cultural devolution) still coexist with Apocalyptic weapons (i.e., advanced technology).

It's frankly a miracle (so to speak) that we somehow haven't already nuked the planet or otherwise wiped ourselves out with our extreme cleverness (yet).

The ancient Greeks thought that life (meaning civilized life within a peaceful society) would be "unlivable" without the Mysteries of Eleusis, and they were clearly correct. If we want to save what we've got we'll need to bring them back ASAP, which is what everyone who promotes psychedelics or facilitates their use for personal transformation is ultimately trying to do.

Edited by TVCasualty, 24 May 2021 - 11:55 AM.

• Coopdog, Arathu and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#6 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,307 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 03:50 PM

What amazes (and saddens) me is just how much information we have at our literal fingertips, and how polluted that is with DISINFORMATION that is intentionally thrown in the mix to completely nullify any sort of real growth. All you can do is ferret out what resonates with your own experience and intuition, and we all have different sets of those. It's maddening...

#7 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 05:20 PM

What amazes (and saddens) me is just how much information we have at our literal fingertips, and how polluted that is with DISINFORMATION that is intentionally thrown in the mix to completely nullify any sort of real growth. All you can do is ferret out what resonates with your own experience and intuition, and we all have different sets of those. It's maddening...

We were keeping our eye on 1984. When the year came and the prophecy didn't, thoughtful Americans sang softly in praise of themselves. The roots of liberal democracy had held. Wherever else the terror had happened, we, at least, had not been visited by Orwellian nightmares.

But we had forgotten that alongside Orwell's dark vision, there was another - slightly older, slightly less well known, equally chilling: Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Contrary to common belief even among the educated, Huxley and Orwell did not prophesy the same thing. Orwell warns that we will be overcome by an externally imposed oppression. But in Huxley's vision, no Big Brother is required to deprive people of their autonomy, maturity and history. As he saw it, people will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think.

What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. - Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Showbusiness

• Myc likes this

#8 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,065 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:28 PM

Yep, I said that same thing before bailing on most social platforms.....

I said "this shit is being spewed out purposely and with malice, to deliberately irritate and infuriate people"

And IMHO it worked hard core........ Straight up evil shit! 

The darkness arrives full force......and there's a channel just for "YOU", says exactly what "you" believe........

A

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2021 - 10:36 AM

Seems accurate, and I mean in a non-partisan kinda way:

MeMeMe.jpg

#10 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:32 PM

Never knew there were "troll farms", but about 15 years ago when there was TV in my house. On occasion I watched the Jerry Springer show, to see what it was and how it functioned. It was clearly designed for folks with a backlog of anger, low intelligence, & no creativity.

But was this an isolated phenomenon? How about "professional wrestling"? In which case its a big industry with posters of the stars, magazines, and fans and who knows what.

Now admittedly such TV phenomenon (which also includes soap operas), don't attempt to fuck with folks notion of what is real, in the same way that disinformation does.

But I wonder if any conspiracy theories are necessary to explain a society's decline, when love of profit, power, and hedonism, replaced all moral values long ago. The example of Rome which TV Casulty brought up, seems to show that the conspiracies which seem real to us today, were not necessary then to account for the decline, and so while some conspiracies may exist today, they are again possibly not at the root of the matter.

#11 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2021 - 06:23 PM

The root of the problem is we are human beings with feelings, not robots that make pure factual based decisions. Not sure we will or ever should grow out of that.

What will always remain is the classic power game that all living beings participate in.

Watching the Geese charge each other on the green helps put all this fighitng in perspective

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 26 May 2021 - 06:24 PM.

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:18 PM

This seems to be a startlingly prescient quote, so a good choice to post on his birthday I guess:

Huxley.jpg

The ironically-named "social" media is largely where we round up the mob and source our pitchforks and tiki-torches nowadays. I guess the "social" part comes into play when we trade gossip and recipes and such with others in our own mob.

Even Nazis like to trade recipes, and gossip about other Nazis they're jealous of. I guess it should really be called "intra-social media" if we're sending our best apple pie recipe to the good people of the social group we identify with and calling for harm or death to come to others simply because they're "others."

The pathological form of "wokeness" we see popping up all over the place now has probably become so popular so fast because it works in tandem with "cancel culture," which is the righteously indignant enforcement arm of that particular variety of awakening. Waking the hell up is something that people who look deeper have been calling for since civilization began, so most of the time waking up is a good thing but not if it's only to awaken into a new self-serving delusion crafted by a novel group of agenda-pushing, preachy jerks.

I guess whenever we feel like joining a political mass movement it means it's probably time to retreat back into Plato's cave and eat a bunch of mushrooms.

#13 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:53 PM

Aldous knew what was up... You sure see it in politics. We love to come together to hate!

It seems to be getting worse out there, the "news" likes to spend half its time reporting on how the others side is covering it wrong. Like a married couple that desperately needs a divorce, you sit there uncomfortably and listen to them bash one another. If that is supposed to be our standard, our middle ground where people can come and try to figure out the days events well then we might be in trouble folks.

Let's define one another by our identities and separate ourselves off into smaller tribal groups so its easier to hate one another for our differences. I keep telling myself I should read that Hate Inc book. It is sad myself I had never really explored the ancient idea of awakening until I started hanging around here. The term woke had became part of my angry political lexicon. A term that felt fitting when used to point out a disturbing new trend of human behavior.

I have a theory that if not religion then something else will rise up to take its place. That is why cults seem to work so well. So some have theorized that wokeness is the result of Atheism taking over. That being that wokeness is the new religion. I can see some parallels anyway

The sad part being that an awakening used to be such a deep and beautiful descriptor for its wide field of thought, waking up was something to be celebrated. Be it spiritual or intellectual

I just got out of said cave and would recommended its use. I do find that a good strong dose knocks all that politicizing out of your brain for at least a few days. Did I mention freshie orange juice shakes with frozen fruit go down pretty well?

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 26 July 2021 - 02:58 PM.

#14 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:37 AM

So some have theorized that wokeness is the result of Atheism taking over. That being that wokeness is the new religion. I can see some parallels anyway

I'll start to accept that atheism might be beginning to "take over" when someone (anyone!) can be elected to any office while running as an avowed atheist.

#15 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:42 AM

Are the  abundances of angry, arrogant , trash talking ,acting like  12 year old bully's  on Shroomery  paid government trolls steering people away from mushrooms ?

#16 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:27 PM

So some have theorized that wokeness is the result of Atheism taking over. That being that wokeness is the new religion. I can see some parallels anyway

I'll start to accept that atheism might be beginning to "take over" when someone (anyone!) can be elected to any office while running as an avowed atheist.

Good point, in the larger power structure I am unsure if any Atheist has ever held office. Some might try to point to the communist leaders like Stalin perhaps but I would disagree, he became the religion.

In the overall social sphere religions power appears to be waning by my estimation anyway. Shit I don't know anybody that goes to church anymore but that could be due to my social circles.

Are the  abundances of angry, arrogant , trash talking ,acting like  12 year old bully's  on Shroomery  paid government trolls steering people away from mushrooms ?

I don't think there is an asshole shortage on the internet thats for sure. If rude behavior is allowed so it will flourish. People get cocky and like swinging their dicks around

I know a few people that waste their lives away arguing in the comment sections of news articles. I had my brief time before I realized what a detriment to your life it is.

Disinformation and black van style operating however is very real, to what end a person may ask? Well it appears to be classic political manipulation. When you get intelligence agencies involved well sometimes I would say it is being done just to see if it can be. Cleaning and storing that "zombie" shotgun just in case

Enrage to engage

This guy is willing to explain his role in it. This shit is REAL folks

https://duckduckgo.c...PnGpo0kkF0&pn=1

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 27 July 2021 - 04:41 PM.

#17 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:36 PM

Consider who is being affected by this misinformation, I would guess only people who aren't that bright or creative anyway. The same same sort of folks that were entertained by the gladiators, in the colosseum in ancient Rome. Such people are constantly manipulated by society in one way or another. In fact the masses have always been manipulated, thats partly what a "culture" is: a group of folks sharing similar 'colored sunglasses' ie 'reality filters'. Edaward Bernays, known as the "father of public relations", back in the 1920s pioneered manipulating the public. "Bernays was named one of the 100 most influential Americans of the 20th century". In fact, it seems to me, Leary's slogan: "Tune in & Drop Out", was precisely because all present societies are an unfixable mess.

https://duckduckgo.c...ays&t=h_&ia=web

https://en.wikipedia.../Edward_Bernays

Edaward Bernays free copy of one of his books 

http://whale.to/b/bernays.pdf

Edited by shiftingshadows, 27 July 2021 - 10:48 PM.

#18 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:48 PM

Those arrogantly-smug sociopathic assholes who set up and operate troll farms have apparently not learned the rookie lesson for wanna-be sorcerers that Mickey Mouse learned the hard way in Fantasia.

He fell asleep for a moment and the broom overdid it, then when he woke up and tried to stop it by chopping it up the pieces grew into new brooms and made the problem exponentially worse. Uh-oh.

QAnon seems to be an example of this; its original creators cannot stop it or shut it down at this point (though they may not have tried to yet). Since Fantasia was a cartoon, someone bigger and more powerful arrived in the nick of time to save Mickey before he was drowned by his own actions but no such savior exists for us as these dark waters continue to rise.

Misinformation, disinformation, and propaganda are forms of power. And when it comes to exercising power in any context (especially the dark side) the first rule is "Do not call up any that you cannot put down."

I think it was originally the First Rule for exercising any form of power. Deception used for negative or harmful purposes is arguably a form of "black magick" and when (not if) it gets out of the sorcerer's control there will be hell to pay for all, including the sorcerers.

All roads lead to Chaos now.

They used to lead to Rome, but the Romans fucked it all up (meaning Western Civilization) when they adopted Christianity and eventually facilitated the trashing and ultimately the total destruction of the Great Library of Alexandria. There is a direct causal connection between that event and the surreal shitstorm we're watching unfold now, as chronicled (with abundant sources cited) in The Immortality Key by Brian Muraresku.

I would argue that "civilization" has been in steady decline ever since. Developing advanced technology and evolving culturally as a cohesive and stable, sustainable civilization are totally different subjects. This is proven by the fact that arguably-obsolete Messianic religions that resemble superstitious pyramid schemes and offer placebos in lieu of direct experience (i.e., cultural devolution) still coexist with Apocalyptic weapons (i.e., advanced technology).

It's frankly a miracle (so to speak) that we somehow haven't already nuked the planet or otherwise wiped ourselves out with our extreme cleverness (yet).

The ancient Greeks thought that life (meaning civilized life within a peaceful society) would be "unlivable" without the Mysteries of Eleusis, and they were clearly correct. If we want to save what we've got we'll need to bring them back ASAP, which is what everyone who promotes psychedelics or facilitates their use for personal transformation is ultimately trying to do.

I like the Satanic part. It's oft overlooked IMO.

fantasia-1426865874.gif

• TVCasualty and Juthro like this

#19 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:43 AM

I like the Satanic part. It's oft overlooked IMO.

fantasia-1426865874.gif

They've been calling for a long time. He's coming, no worries.

• roc likes this

#20 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:11 AM

been here almost forever

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!