• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EYMAIOS

EYMAIOS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:55 AM

This method I have tested repeatedly to Pasteurize straw for all woodlovers spending no energy at all.
I only spend time.

This method combines Dr Stamets's aerobic-anaerobic pasteurization with the addition of Lime from the beginning.

So:

1. I fill 40 kilos of cut straw in a water penetrable bag.

2. I dissolve 300 grams of agricaltural lime in a  45 gallon barell filling it initialy half way with plain water.

3. I immerse the bag in the barell filling the remaining space with water

4. I place something heavy on top to make sure no air comes in contact with the bag.

5. Atrer two weeks I turn over the barell to empty the foul water on the ground. Dont try to lift the bag cause it is very heavy.

6. Spread the straw on a very wide mesh to dry and to aerate.

7. Make sure it dries to field capacity.

8. Fill straw in strong naylon bags adding spawn in layers.

9. Press strongly down after each layer.

10. Tie the bags and cut several slits for mushrooms.

11. Make two slits to dry the bottom, and one on top to aerate.

12. Place it into a proper Martha to proceed.

After 20 days I take my first fruits.

Most of the time I reach 5 crops per bag.

• MushLuvR likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2021 - 05:50 PM

This method I have tested repeatedly to Pasteurize straw for all woodlovers spending no energy at all.

Where's the wood???

Looks like a good recipe for secondary decomposers like cubensis or oysters. But then I always just use straw bales. Wetting them and adding nutrients causes the bales to reach pasteurization temperatures. All I do is "season" them with Kelp Meal, Blood Meal and Bone Meal........throw in some oyster shell for good measure, water the bales with the garden hose, and turn them periodically to water from the other side.

Inoculate with spawn, add a layer of soil, plant seeds............watch the party.

• TVCasualty, EYMAIOS and MushLuvR like this

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,665 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:47 PM

I want to see 40 kilos of straw fruiting!  headbang

That's more than two typical two-string bales' worth. Which is considerably larger than any single straw-based grow I've ever done since I don't have any help or assistants.

• Myc and MushLuvR like this

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2021 - 09:47 AM

I usually buy 8 bales of oat straw each year. Then I'll arrange them on a tarp - which can be used to wrap the bales and trap heat if necessary (or opened for cooling if the bales are too hot). Employing a long-stemmed compost thermometer really helps with the process.

In the meantime, make spawn for inoculation. I'll use an entire 4-pound bag to inoculate each bale with a 4-tined gardening fork.

My first year I grew King Oysters - and got a ton of 'em.  I suspect cubensis would really enjoy this substrate. ;)

And with multiple bales, one could raise several different cultivars - right along with your garden seedlings.

• TVCasualty, EYMAIOS and YoshiTrainer like this

#5 EYMAIOS

EYMAIOS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 10:21 AM

This is today's picture from a lime fermented straw bag inocculated two weeks ago growing the first pins

IMG_2140.jpg

Since I live in a non forested Island, I am experimenting now with the same lime fermentation Tek using dry firewood oak logs  to grow big Lion Manes in a separate cellar Martha.

Of course I will need months to show you the results on rotting firewood.

• Sidestreet, TVCasualty and YoshiTrainer like this

#6 EYMAIOS

EYMAIOS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 04:27 AM

Τhe same lime fermented substrate today 5/20/21 on the 15th day from inocculation

(one day after pinning).

IMG_2144.jpg

#7 EYMAIOS

EYMAIOS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 05:42 AM

Second day after pinning!
Today we are eating oysters...

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg