• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 05:56 PM

Henlo again friends, I find quite a bit of threads detailing the shelf-life of a spore print in ideal storage conditions, but a friend of mine asked me during a recent visit what the "room temp" shelf-life of a print was; To which I wasn't sure and since I'm mostly finding shelf-life estimations for keeping them stored properly in a cool place such as a fridge I thought I would come post up here to ask the community what the oldest prints you've gotten to germinate when exposed to room temperatures for extended periods of time have been? A few weeks? a few months?

Thank you for your time  :happy:

• Soliver and bezevo like this

#2 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 03:39 PM

Don't put prints in a fridge. The on and off again cycle is awful. 

print in a bag (in another container if paranoid), in a drawer you never open. Somewhere relatively consistent temperature/airflow wise. I've only germinated up to 5-6 years other guys have done up to 10ish years. Sure if conditions are right it's fine with the right TLC. 

• MushLuvR likes this

#3 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 12:53 AM

I'm glad to learn prints can be stored at room temp for so long and germinate just fine, Thank you

Edited by Salty117, 27 May 2021 - 12:54 AM.

#4 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2021 - 12:46 AM

Mushroom spores survived on an asteroid from outer space and infected / inoculated Earth, so I suspect your sample will be just fine    :) 

I've heard some crazy stories about old prints, but no first hand knowledge beyond 2-4 years of standard storage at room temps in a box tucked away in a closet, if that's any help?

:)

soliver

• Salty117 and MushLuvR like this

#5 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:01 PM

I have resurrected a 3.5 year old MS syringe that was in a drawer the entire time.  Prints can last much much longer, a decade isn't uncommon.  

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!