• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 05:56 PM

Henlo again friends, I find quite a bit of threads detailing the shelf-life of a spore print in ideal storage conditions, but a friend of mine asked me during a recent visit what the "room temp" shelf-life of a print was; To which I wasn't sure and since I'm mostly finding shelf-life estimations for keeping them stored properly in a cool place such as a fridge I thought I would come post up here to ask the community what the oldest prints you've gotten to germinate when exposed to room temperatures for extended periods of time have been? A few weeks? a few months?

Thank you for your time  :happy:

• Soliver and bezevo like this

#2 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,896 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2021 - 03:39 PM

Don't put prints in a fridge. The on and off again cycle is awful. 

print in a bag (in another container if paranoid), in a drawer you never open. Somewhere relatively consistent temperature/airflow wise. I've only germinated up to 5-6 years other guys have done up to 10ish years. Sure if conditions are right it's fine with the right TLC. 

• MushLuvR likes this

#3 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 12:53 AM

I'm glad to learn prints can be stored at room temp for so long and germinate just fine, Thank you

Edited by Salty117, 27 May 2021 - 12:54 AM.

#4 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,385 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2021 - 12:46 AM

Mushroom spores survived on an asteroid from outer space and infected / inoculated Earth, so I suspect your sample will be just fine    :) 

I've heard some crazy stories about old prints, but no first hand knowledge beyond 2-4 years of standard storage at room temps in a box tucked away in a closet, if that's any help?

:)

soliver

• Salty117 and MushLuvR like this

#5 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2021 - 03:01 PM

I have resurrected a 3.5 year old MS syringe that was in a drawer the entire time.  Prints can last much much longer, a decade isn't uncommon.  

• Salty117 likes this

#6 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 05:52 AM

I have resurrected a 3.5 year old MS syringe that was in a drawer the entire time.  Prints can last much much longer, a decade isn't uncommon.  

Nice! Is there a special agar recipe or something of the sort to jumps-start old spores? Since moving recently into our own home, I've been able to start getting a better grip on my agar game but so far I think it's turning out a little runny. Spores spawn to it but the mycelium ropes appear gel-like, and the outward growth has stalled. What I have put to agar thus far seems to be trying to grow upward and produce fluff. I'm certain it's not bacterial because the "gel-like" appearance is still ropey and rhizomorphic and there's no sour smell.

#7 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2021 - 10:24 AM

I get that gel like at the end of some pours since I try to pour at the coolest temp possible.  You have to be fast and I'm just NOT(SAB sucks for AGAR)... so one or two end up that way.  I use them first since it's not a plate I will keep long term.  Back on track, damn GDP got me this morning... The simplest way of doing Agar is 2 grams of each per 100ml of water.  I have ran less AGAR(ran out) and it was just under 8 grams(per 500ml) and still worked but not what I normally do.  Basically per 500ml flask, 10g of LME and AGAR.  

Most of the solution was dead in the MS syringe, I couldn't get it to germ on a plate, but finally took to some WBS in two jars in two very tiny spots.  I shook them twice to spread the mycelium faster, I normally do once with a normal injection and regular growth.  It was a fun project, but to be fair, I was only able to recover 1 of 4 syringes, the others wouldn't take with multiple injections(in the same jar) and a few plates.  I bought 500 plates for like... 60 bucks or something so it's of NO concern losing plates, I toss them all the time.  

P1070623.JPG

P1070684.JPG

9 Days Later...

P1070690.JPG

Ready to GO! About 2.5 days from previous pic

Edited by MushLuvR, 29 June 2021 - 10:38 AM.

• Salty117 likes this

#8 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:08 AM

The simplest way of doing Agar is 2 grams of each per 100ml of water.  I have ran less AGAR(ran out) and it was just under 8 grams(per 500ml) and still worked but not what I normally do.  Basically per 500ml flask, 10g of LME and AGAR.  

Ahh I see, when I pour my agar I check the temp with a digital heat reader and I try to pour it around 90-95 degrees. I've been using 3.25oz condiment cups for the time being but I do plan to get my hands on some proper petri dishes soon. I too have been using an SAB for pouring my agar but I will probably get around to building a larger laminar flow box than what I have now... bought one pre-made and because it's 12"x12" I feel like it's tedious to get a reasonable amount of things done in front of it in a reasonable amount of time.

The 2 Agar recipes I've used so far per 500ml of tap water (city) have been:

10g ELME

10g Agar Agar

16g Dextrose

5g Peptone

The other is the same recipe but with 1g of activated Charcoal added but I've only made transfers to the charcoal infused recipe.

• MushLuvR likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!