I have to say, the seeds I got this year were small, but after going through an elaborate germination process, I got 100% germination, but when these sprouted, they were the tiniest, itti bitty sprouts I have ever seen.
I have had problems with germination in the past, especially with feminized newer hybrids. The steps that have worked for me with 95% success are as follows.
1. soak the seeds in an ounce of lukewarm rainwater with three drops of hydrogen peroxide for about 6-8 hours in a warm place.
2. In a sandwich size tupperware, layer 3 plys of a well moistened but not wet cheap paper towels. Use bottled or chlorine free water. Place seeds on these towels with some space between them, and cover with a few more plys of the moistened towels.
3. This needs to be warm, but not hot. 72-82 F. I wrap foil around the container to keep it dark, and place it in the oven with only the light on. This keeps a pretty steady temp of 75-80 for me. Leave at least 24 hours and have a peek. I had to go 48 hours total to have good visible root sprout.
4. I then carefully take the sprout and place it in a small pot with 50% cactus mix, and 50% Ocean Forest, well moistened but not wet. I place them about 1/2" deep. Keep in a warm place until they pop and for a week after.
I have had good success with this method with only 1 out of 10 or less failing. I know its alot of picky steps, but I went to this after a full fail on 4 seeds I really wanted several years ago.....
These plants are in fox farms Ocean Forest now, and getting fed every 3 days.