3 replies to this topic

#1 Knucklebrucks

Knucklebrucks

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 11:55 AM

Hey all,

I plan to use 50/50 coco coir/ Verm to case a 6q bins of cubes.

I generally Sterilize, though have seen some threads where folks mention pasteurizing casing mixes. Wondering if folks have thoughts about risks/benefits of each.

Main reason I'd like to consider pasteurization is so I dont need to wait as long for cool down.....

thoughts?

#2 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 12:37 PM

I think with cubensis, you'll be fine pasteurizing. I'm by no means an expert with cubes, but that's what I've done in the past, and it's worked out well. I just did some 6qt shoebox casings of Golden Teachers myself. Using pasteurized CVG for the sub, and the casing layer.

You know you don't have to case cubes if you don't want to, right? It's up to you. Send us some pics please. We always like pics.

Edited by phlegmbae, 27 May 2021 - 12:39 PM.

#3 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2021 - 01:42 PM

IME you don't need to use heat on a casing at all. You can use calcium hydroxide aka slaked lime in place of heat. CaOH also provides calcium and shapes the individual casing particles into small BB/pea sized balls which create a perfect microclimate at the sub/casing interface.

Look up agaricus casing methods, I use the same technique as the button mushroom industry.

Edited to add a picture of an outdoor bin I cased.

20210526_154340.jpg

Edited by kcmoxtractor, 27 May 2021 - 01:43 PM.

• cflashor, Mycol and rockyfungus like this

#4 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2021 - 01:00 AM

If you choose to case, sterilization is overkill and is generally viewed as a bad idea.

I used to bake my casing, let it cool, then case, etc., etc., but it really just adds another vector of contamination IME - casing layers develop cobweb and all kinds of nasties quite easily, whereas uncased grows perform about the same and are more resilient.

Your mileage may vary.  Do what I did - try two tubs, one cased, one not and see what happens.  That's when I stopped using a casing layer.

That said, your style & time constraints may differ from others.  Cased cubes require more air exchange in my experience, while uncased tubs do great with simple poly-filled holes and a daily fanning / visual check (because you're gonna look).

In short, don't sterilize if you're gonna case - a sterile grow media is ripe for contams while a pasteurized one is more resistant.

:)

soliver

• phlegmbae and pastyoureyes like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!