10 replies to this topic

#1 PapaIndica

PapaIndica

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:10 PM

Myco.jpg

(Pic taken right before we started pressure cooking.)

So, got my jars all set, inoculated 6 with Golden Teacher and the other 6 with Ecuador. Now, I've got them incubating.

I have a question though... Everything I've seen says to incubate at 80-85 degrees, the spot I have them in is a steady, constant 79. Is that good enough? I didn't think one degree would make a lot of difference but, I had to ask to see what you guys thought, just to be sure.

I could probably make up the difference but, it would take some screwing around to get it dialed in. The setup I have now is keeping that 79 locked.

Also have another question. Both syringes I have had a little black blob floating in them when I pulled them out to do my inoculations. It ended up squirting out between a couple jars each. Is this a bad thing? Not really matter? It seemed rather strange to me. I hope it doesn't mean they were bad or something.

I hope things will turn out alright with this batch, being my first run and all, looking forward to trying out some micro-dosing. I wouldn't mind a nice trip either, if I'm being honest... :biggrin:

• Salem, YoshiTrainer and Mycol like this

#2 PapaIndica

PapaIndica

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:12 PM

I wasn't paying close enough attention and my buddy went just a little short on the WBS in a couple jars but, I don't think it's enough to make a big difference.

#3 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,878 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2021 - 11:37 AM

Higher temps provide better conditions for contaminates to grow in as well. I do mostly at room temp and they grow fine. 85 is more like your upper limit rather than a good grow temp

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 06 June 2021 - 11:39 AM.

• PapaIndica likes this

#4 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 552 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2021 - 11:42 AM

I had also syringes with a black blob in them and everything worked out fine.
  • PapaIndica likes this

#5 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2021 - 03:03 PM

Me too on the black floaters in syringe. Some times it clogged up the needle. I got 6 syringes from an online vendor and all of them had it. All of it grew out clean. I think it's just clumps of spore. When you scrape a spore print it comes off clumped together.
  • Sidestreet and PapaIndica like this

#6 PapaIndica

PapaIndica

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 08:58 PM

All of the input is very much appreciated guys. I feel much better about the blobs now, and my temp. Thank you!

#7 PapaIndica

PapaIndica

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 03:30 PM

Another question... I started 12 jars, (6 of each), a handful of them have started colonizing, while some have not, two of them, (1 of each), have turned into solid cakes. My question is, are the two cakes ok to just sit there with these others while I wait for them to colonize, or should they be taken out and started on the grow process?

Thanks for your help.

#8 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,083 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:22 AM

You can put the colonized ones into the fridge for several days while you wait for the others to catch up.  If it turns into a week I would probably just fruit them separately.  If you don't refrigerate them, they'll start pinning in the jar at some point.  That's not a bad thing, it's just that they want to grow!  When cakes were more common, some people liked to wait for pinning in the jar before birthing as a matter of course.

• PapaIndica likes this

#9 PapaIndica

PapaIndica

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 03:43 AM

You can put the colonized ones into the fridge for several days while you wait for the others to catch up.  If it turns into a week I would probably just fruit them separately.  If you don't refrigerate them, they'll start pinning in the jar at some point.  That's not a bad thing, it's just that they want to grow!  When cakes were more common, some people liked to wait for pinning in the jar before birthing as a matter of course.

Thank you! For some reason your reply didn't show up in my notification area. I've been popping on every so often to see if I had any new notifications, hoping I'd have a response from someone and I wasn't seeing anything. This time I decided I'd post again to bump my thread up and that's how I ended up seeing your post.

At this point I have two more cakes and more jars well on their way! I was worried that thigs may possibly have not been clean enough when doing this since I've seen so much about "sterile" environments for the process but, it's looking very much like they're not contaminated at all, (knock on wood!).

You say, "when cakes were more common", what are people doing instead now? and what is pinning?, what does it look like? I'm brand new to this, I don't have all of the lingo down and haven't experienced a complete grow yet. Or is the complete grow what's referred to as a flush? I was thinking that was a harvest.

Thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Edited by PapaIndica, 16 June 2021 - 03:51 AM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#10 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,083 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2021 - 04:12 AM

You're welcome.  I like to come through and click "View New Content" regularly.  That way I can look for any of my threads that have responses.

At one point PF cakes seemed like the most common way to grow among hobbyists.  These days I still see plenty of PF cakes, but many people are just doing bulk substrates.  And even beginners are starting right out with agar work in many cases.

Pinning is an early stage of mushroom formation.  Pins are cute little baby mushrooms.  When mycelium (the white mold that is the fungus's bodily growth) is ready to fruit (grow mushrooms), it will first form hyphal knots, which are tiny white dots.  Then those knots turn into little pins, which is when the fruitbody first starts to look like a mushroom.  Knowledge of the life cycle of the mushroom is fundamental to growing, so be sure to read up on it.

• skunk and PapaIndica like this

#11 PapaIndica

PapaIndica

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:16 PM

You're welcome.  I like to come through and click "View New Content" regularly.  That way I can look for any of my threads that have responses.

At one point PF cakes seemed like the most common way to grow among hobbyists.  These days I still see plenty of PF cakes, but many people are just doing bulk substrates.  And even beginners are starting right out with agar work in many cases.

Pinning is an early stage of mushroom formation.  Pins are cute little baby mushrooms.  When mycelium (the white mold that is the fungus's bodily growth) is ready to fruit (grow mushrooms), it will first form hyphal knots, which are tiny white dots.  Then those knots turn into little pins, which is when the fruitbody first starts to look like a mushroom.  Knowledge of the life cycle of the mushroom is fundamental to growing, so be sure to read up on it.

Thank you sir! Yeah, I spent a little time reading up on growing them but, really only stuff to get the grow going, definitely need to read up on the life cycle.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!