Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Is This Panaeolus Bisporus Spawn Jar Ready?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 11:32 PM

This is my first time growing Panaeolus and I have read that the mycelium is finer and not as dense as Cubensis mycelium.

Here is a jar of hard red wheat berries, inoculated on May 27th with a multi-spore syringe made from a spore print from a trusted vendor. The mycelium is covering all the berries. The funny looking things amongst the berries is vermiculite. Does this look ready to spawn to bulk substrate yet?

Also, what is your favorite bulk substrate for this particular species of mushroom? I was thinking of a 50-50 blend of coir and aged cow manure (pasteurized of course). Thank you in advance for your advice..

IMG_1971.jpeg   IMG_1972.jpeg

Edited by PaceArrow, 08 June 2021 - 11:36 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#2 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,062 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:31 AM

The color of the verm is throwing me off. Looks like it is ready to go. Bisporus for me, has very wispy mycelium, more so than pan cyans. If possible, you might look into using some straw in your bulk. I think 2:1 sraw:Hpoo. I have a couple subs of bisporus in the FC now, fingers crossed!
  • PaceArrow and MushLuvR like this

#3 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 01:35 PM

Thank you YoshiTrainer for your counsel. I will look into a straw:poo bulk substrate.

I keep seeing a bulk recipe of poo-straw-verm-gypsum of 50:30:15:5. Or straw-very-poo of 10:3:4.. kinda confusing.. 

Edited by PaceArrow, 09 June 2021 - 02:36 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#4 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,062 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2021 - 02:28 AM

Have you read WaylitJim, Cpt. Future, Peacefrog and Asura's write ups on growing Pans? Not only does it show you how to grow amazing trays of Pans but they also all use different sub recipes too. Im pretty sure they all have straw in them though? I realised I had no idea what % any of my stuff was. For a 1/2 pint of spawn, I use this recipe for about a shoebox worth of bulk:

2C (.42%) straw, very firmly packed and rounded % is probably higher
1C (.21%) Hpoo
1C (.21%) Verm
24g (.10%) COIR
2Tbsp (.03%) gypsum
1Tbsp (.015%) powdered chicken feed
2Tbsp (.03%) coffee
2C water

Warm the water a little and add the coffee grounds and let sit for a few. Dump the coffee over the COIR in your mixing tub and break it up when softer. Add the straw and the Hpoo, mix real well. Dump in the rest, mix, put in bag and PC for 2hrs.
  • MushLuvR likes this

#5 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:50 AM

The simplest mix is horse manure, verm, and gypsum.  You could add a little Coco if your short on manure, but isn't necessary.  I like Coco to fluff it a bit, personal preference only.  

Edited by MushLuvR, 12 June 2021 - 10:50 AM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!