• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:12 PM

The recipes I see for casing include hydrated lime, but I don't really want to buy a big bag of the ag stuff. Will pickling lime work just as well? Thanks. 

Ah - I just found a thread that discusses this, and it sound like calcium carbonate is what I should be using. 

Edited by PaceArrow, 10 June 2021 - 08:20 PM.

• Mycol likes this

#2 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 11:03 AM

I use pickling lime and it works just fine . I think you can use Calcium carbonate too but I can’t say be I nevertheless have. The recipe I follow is 50/50 seed starter mix and coarse vermiculite usually 1 and a half cups each then one cup crushed oyster shells and a teaspoon of pickling lime . I always find oyster shells in the bottoms of the fruits I think they like the little air gaps around them when they’re pinning as well as their ph fixing qualities .
  • MushLuvR likes this

#3 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:03 PM

I use pickling lime and it works just fine . I think you can use Calcium carbonate too but I can’t say be I nevertheless have. The recipe I follow is 50/50 seed starter mix and coarse vermiculite usually 1 and a half cups each then one cup crushed oyster shells and a teaspoon of pickling lime . I always find oyster shells in the bottoms of the fruits I think they like the little air gaps around them when they’re pinning as well as their ph fixing qualities .

Thank you Mycol. Which seed starter mix do you use? I forgot to mention in my post that I am growing Panaeolus Bisporus, if that makes a difference in which recipe to use. 

• MushLuvR likes this

#4 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:44 AM

You’re welcome.

I am using jiffy seed starting mix . I have not grown any pans yet so I can’t say for certainty that it will work, but it should .

#5 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:24 AM

I have used Coco(5 flushes King Oyster blocks) in a pinch to case with Verm and Oyster Shell Flour(Cal Carb), but I prefer peat and it's cheap in bulk.  I hope that Bisporus works out for you... HUGE Pan Luv ® going Out and good Vibes!  

Edited by MushLuvR, 12 June 2021 - 10:25 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!