3 replies to this topic

#1 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 04:58 AM

Hey folks,

I'm not sure where the best place for this question is, but I'm growing edibles... :biggrin:

Anyways, I watched several youtube on the Fresh Farm Fungi channel. He has a workflow where he dilutes the spores and plates them. When the individual spores germinate he transfers mycelia (ium?)  to another plate. He would then let it grow out and introduce it to another mycelium to see if they could pair.

The part of this workflow that concerns me is if a sparse amount of spores germinates. Say there is only one visible white spot on a plate. Do I need to assume that is monokaryotic and try to pair it if possible or assume just assume it's sterile?

Thanks,

Un

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,665 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:04 AM

You have to dilute a spore solution quite a bit for that to happen (much more than you're likely to).

But with enough dilution it's possible. It's a lot harder to get monokaryotic mycelium to work with than not, so it's something you generally have to be trying to achieve for it to happen.

If it happens then the mycelium growth will be much slower than usual, and stays looking cottony (doesn't get stringy/ropy).

#3 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 04:05 PM

Hey TVCasualty,

I always wondered, is your name inspired by the Misfits' song?

Anyways, thanks for the advice. From my polling of the internet I could not readily find a lot about this topic.

I have recently taken to agar. I've been using an inoculation loop I've made out of a metal skewer. The first few times I did not realize how hot it was getting and how long it was necessary for it to cool. So I believe I was killing spores and causing very sparse colonies on my plates ( using the streak for isolation ).  I've also noticed depending on the spore print and how I scrape with my loop it seems like I'll get more or less density of colonies. Anyways, when they are spares I'm never quite sure if they one colony or if they started as two and became one. I would be really frustrated to bulk out a mycelium that is infertile, but I suppose I won't worry much.

• TVCasualty likes this

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,665 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:52 AM

Hey TVCasualty,

I always wondered, is your name inspired by the Misfits' song?

Yup.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!