8 replies to this topic

#1 CentralLimit

CentralLimit

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 07:08 PM

Hii,

This is my third grow, I am using jars and spore syringes from what I think are reputable vendors.

Two months ago I colonized 36 jars with GT spore syringes.  I lost two jars to mold, and successfully fruited 24 jars.  Actually, the fruiting jars are doing really well in terms of volume of mushrooms generated.  Ten of the jars have not fully colonized after two months, though.  I don't know what to do with them.  I figure I can't birth and fruit jars that are not fully colonized due to risk of infection.  Still, I was thinking about birthing, cutting out the colonized parts, and create a monotub best I could, although I am not sure what that process looks like.  Or, I could try Hippy's invitro tek.  Or, I could move things outside as a Hail Mary play, and let any infections play-out. I didn't know if you guys saw a path that made the most sense, and had any advice.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate any guidance.

#2 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:57 AM

Did you shake the jars when colonized at 25%? It will either jump start the process or reveal contams. You're right not to spawn the jars that haven't fully colonized, I had a similar situation with 2 jars and shook them , one went bad and the other took off. It probably comes down to how long you sterilize the grain or percentage of burst kernels. With that thought in mind I'll sterilize for two hrs instead of 90 minutes.
  • CentralLimit likes this

#3 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:04 PM

Glad to see you again!

You're right you don't want to use half colonized jars for a grow because of a high contam risk. The exception is outdoor grow, I think working outside would lower the risk of contam, in general you don't want to open stalled or contaminated jars indoors...

Edited by Moonless, 18 June 2021 - 12:09 PM.

#4 CentralLimit

CentralLimit

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:53 PM

Nice, thank you both!  And thanks for remembering, Moonless!  I will give the jars a good shake and report back with the results.  Thank you for the advice not to open them inside.

• Moonless likes this

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,099 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:28 PM

If they are BRF jars then shaking may not be the best idea, but since they are two months old then anything goes I suppose as they are past their prime anyway. Usually I see stalled jar from either being cooked by high incubation temps (ie heat mats or heaters) or less than ideal water ratios and last but not least bacteria. Sometimes all of the above. If it was just one of those factors alone then the jars should have started pinning invitro a month ago. You say you already fruited some from the jars has me thinking we are taking BRF and not grain spawn. Either way if you started over fresh with some added experience and improved conditions you may have faster and better results than try salvage what already has proved not to perform to expectations. I second the outdoor salvage to free the jars for a fresh start. Under a tomato plant or something and even if no mushrooms it will make good compost.

But then again, whatever you decide to do,  you will be learning what works well and what doesn't. Its all experience and knowledge you're taking in.

• bezevo, CentralLimit and like this

#6 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 09:37 PM

I once made the mistake of not looking closely enough at a jar and recommended a shake of BRF, haven't made that mistake since...

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 18 June 2021 - 09:39 PM.

#7 CentralLimit

CentralLimit

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2021 - 08:50 AM

I wanted to follow up on the shaken jar experiment. 

• I shook each of the 10 jars hard for 45 seconds
  • After 23 days, 8 0f the jars colonized, and I lost 2 jars.  Dunked the 8 cakes, began fruiting. 
  • After another 10 days, I lost all 8 cakes to an orange mold.  But, the chamber I was using for the 8 cakes was running really damp, so, I can't blame the cakes for their contamination.

Thanks for your help, I learned something today.

#8 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 293 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2021 - 09:06 AM

I have done all in one (test)cakes and shook them, but the success rate is LOWer, I usually lose 2 or 3 so I like to run Oats with no loss.  You don't have to shake jars "Hard", just enough to break up the mycelium and mix with uncolonized grains.  Especially PAN mycelium, they break up easy, and then I like to do a light shake/tumble holding the jar horizontally.  PE can be sensitive to Hard shakes as well, I've never had an issue with Reg Cube varieties.  

#9 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:19 PM

I just spawned two quarts of PE to sub yesterday, Compared to other varieties both were a SOB to break up in the jars. It's too early to tell how they will do...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!