• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:14 PM

Okay, here we go.  Let me lay out my plan for you, please feel free to give advise because this is all new to me.  I am currently waiting on spore syringes, PESA, PESH, Burma and APE.  My plan is to leave the APE till i have a little experience and start with one of the other three.  I am going to start by getting a 4% lme liquid culture started as well as some quarts of wild bird seed.   I am into canning so I already have a pressure cooker and plenty of jars.  I plan on making lids with injection ports and micropore tape.  I am pretty confident in sterile technique.  Once my jars are colonized i plan to spawn to a substrate of composted manure, straw, verm and possibly biochar, i have a ton of that shit from clearing shooting lanes.  I have have read mixed things about using it but mostly people saying it wont work, maybe ill save that for when im a little more advanced.  I haven't made up my mind as far as fruiting chamber but i should have better than a month to figure that out.  I will get things rolling on my jar lids while waiting on my spores.  Any advise is appreciated. 

• Salty117, YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#2 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,173 posts

Donator

Posted 03 July 2021 - 07:49 PM

Looks like a solid plan to me. Good luck

#3 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,088 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:37 AM

I recently learned that 4% LME in LC is too much.  I tried 4% and it was all sediment.  I used 1% in my last one that worked and could have gone even lighter.  Someone said they used 0.2 grams LME per 100 mL water.

Edited by Sidestreet, 04 July 2021 - 07:37 AM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#4 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,173 posts

Donator

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:46 AM

That's interesting, I usually run 4% Karo, never messed with LME.

#5 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,088 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2021 - 05:43 PM

I did ~4% karo too, which is why I started with 4% LME, but it turned out to be too much and resulted in lots of sediment.  I saw some growth in there too but it wasn't looking good so I scrapped it and started over.  1% LME still gave some sediment but it worked out.

Edited by Sidestreet, 04 July 2021 - 05:44 PM.

#6 FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for the heads up, i also figured 4% was 4%.  I'm seeing people using .2-.5 now that im looking.  I'll shoot for somewhere in the middle there.  I hope everyone is having a happy 4th.

#7 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,898 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2021 - 10:06 AM

If I could could give any advice it would be to start small, simple, and be patient. It will save you grief in the long run trust me. Try inoculating six or so jars for your first run. It might sound silly but even practicing injecting your jars in a still air box goes a long way. Nothing more disappointing that trying to inject 20 jars before you really have the technique down and they all fail on you. Liquid cultures are great for long term cost but they can give some difficulty with contamination. Your jar may sour on you and you end up injecting ten or so jars with contaminated LC. I think your best bet would be to start with PF tek and spore syringes. Once you get that white stuff growing then I would recommend you can start to play around with LC's and other spawn materials like grain. Of course there are no rules and you may have success with any of them but consistently PF tek produces the best results for beginners.

I tried to skip PF tek as I thought it looked to beginner or something silly like that. Went right to big bulk production, running grain spawn to bulk sub was my plan. Managed to grow a bunch of contaminates, and failed hard a few times before having success with Brown rice and vermiculite jars.

Wait to bulk up until you have the process of running clean spawn jars down. This is your most important and difficult step and without it you won't get anywhere

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 05 July 2021 - 10:07 AM.

• Sidestreet, Coopdog, Arathu and 2 others like this

#8 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,263 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2021 - 01:05 PM

Read this as I have been considering going at it again from the beginning. One thing you said concerns me and it really isn't about growing mushrooms, but more about the lead contamination from anything gathered from clearing shooting lanes. Just going from the amount of lead I have slung downrange over the years made me decide to mention it. Assuming that is the kind of shooting lanes you refer to. :)

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2021 - 02:24 PM

PF tek and BRF cakes in general allow a fairly smooth introduction to and a progressive skill set development required for more advanced work.....IMHO...

Get some fruits growing off of cakes in a fruiting chamber of your choice and creation and do so deliberately, repeatedly, with confidence and most of everything else you see in mushroom growing will become well within your grasp....

Following the PF "recipe" you will get a feel for substrate preparation, hydration levels, and the appearance/response(s) of the target fungus by observation of colonization while practicing aseptic technique....with practical results on a small scale that allow for learning with a minimum of pain and waste. After gaining success and confidence then move to bigger things, more difficult species, end etc.....The PC and sterilization make the odds of success very much higher although they are not absolutely required.....I know people that still grow their own cubes doing nothing more than cakes, because if done correctly it is extremely effective...

Want to perpetuate your hobby, get your own prints from your own fruits and learn some agar work. Study and perfect making grain (and other) spawn.....it's ON from there for sure....

Nothing more than IMHO.......regardless of where you go with it........good growing vibes to you....

• Sidestreet, phlegmbae, FLASHINGROOSTER and 2 others like this

#10 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 02:59 PM

Get some fruits growing off of cakes in a fruiting chamber of your choice and creation and do so deliberately, repeatedly, with confidence and most of everything else you see in mushroom growing will become well within your grasp....

Outta likes, but this is it. 

I get the color right. Whether it's grain broth diluted, brf ground and strain, really any grain, malted syrups, play with carbs and see what ya get. Run experiments from 4%-1% or lower...

• Sidestreet likes this

#11 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,088 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2021 - 04:20 PM

I get the color right.

This sounds good.  Am I out of line if I say the liquid should be almost clear no matter what nutrition you're using in an LC?

Edited by Sidestreet, 05 July 2021 - 04:21 PM.

• FractalFarmer likes this

#12 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 04:27 PM

Yeah almost translucent. But still a twinge of piss or piss-beer (corona?) color. Ya know?

#13 FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:11 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to offer your advice, none of it is wasted on me.  I am researching my ass off.  Coop as far as the shooting Im not talking about clearing a shooting range.  I am an avid hunter and manage my property for game.  I had to shift the world around so i could see around a corner from my favorite tree stand.  In the process of that I left a lot of hardwood laying on the ground that should be  nocced with an oyster spawn of some variety.  Anyways looks like i have some shit to do huh.  thanks guys

• Arathu, FLASHINGROOSTER and motley like this

#14 FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 12:34 PM

My spores finally arrived!  I have been doing prep work for the past couple days and have one more round going in the pressure cooker.  I should be ready to  nocc some jars tomorrow.  I can't wait. 

Edited by FractalFarmer, 10 July 2021 - 01:35 PM.

• Sidestreet, bezevo and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#15 FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 11:28 PM

Ok this is where i am at.  I prepped my wbs as indicated from what i have been reading.  I removed all of the floaters and rinsed my seed until the water was fairly clear. I did a 24hr soak and rinsed again. I did a simmer until the kernels could be easily split with my fingernail.  I drained them in a strainer and left them overnight until the outside of the seed felt dry and did not stick to my hand.  I loaded my jars leaving a little head space and PCed for 90 minutes at 15psi and let the PC cool overnight before removing and shaking jars.  When i removed the jars and shook them i wished i had left a little more headspace, lesson learned.  I made a 4%LC using Karo and PCed for 20 min.  I did end up slightly caramelizing the culture because i let the PC drop below 15psi so had to restart the  clock.  After the LC came to room temp i inoculated with PESA and gave a little shake.

I wanted to give this method a shot since i already had all the supplies.  If I fail I will restart using PF Tek.  The reason I didn't use that method to begin with is that it seem like the inoculation is where it all goes wrong other than grain prep.  I followed the prep to the T so i am confident about that.  I am extremely confident in my sterile technique with a background as a surgical tech.  It just seemed to me like doing 4 inoculations per jar would be 3X more risky than doing one.  I guess now it's just a waiting game.  Hopefully I did everything right and had a clean syringe to start with.  Wish me luck guys.

Edited by FractalFarmer, 10 July 2021 - 11:29 PM.

• drmcnasty likes this

#16 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,173 posts

Donator

Posted 10 July 2021 - 11:52 PM

Well it looks like you got things started. It sounds like you did your homework on grain prep, it can be tricky. Hopefully you got the moisture content correct and if it shook easily after cooling its not too starchy. Now it's time to sit back and wait. It wouldn't hurt to look into a pf tek run with one of your other syringes. Good luck, ill be watching.
  • Sidestreet likes this

#17 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,088 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2021 - 06:40 AM

I did end up slightly caramelizing the culture because i let the PC drop below 15psi so had to restart the  clock.

Everything else you said sounded spot on to me.  Was restarting the sterilization clock S.O.P. for autoclaving surgical tools?  That would make sense.  When a karo or honey liquid culture is involved, though, it's easy to overcook.  If it were me, I wouldn't re-start the clock.  I might add a little bit of time to make up the difference depending on the circumstances.

Overall though it sounds like you're well on your way!

#18 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,898 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2021 - 01:48 PM

I had similar thoughts about the 1X versus 4X injection idea.  What I have found with the single injection is that if you shoot it off the one side for nice viewing. By the time it colonizes all the way around the jar, a small area has become slightly contaminated. The mycelium usually overtakes it but it stalls the process out a bit. Someone once said its basically a race to see which fungus or bacteria is going to dominate, giving the mycelium every advantage we can goes towards nice clean spawn

So my next run I am going to be trying more than one injection site per jar as recommended

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 11 July 2021 - 01:49 PM.

#19 FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 04:31 PM

After I inserted the needle in the injection port I divided my 1.5ml into three squirts 120 degrees apart and gave the jar a quick shake so hopefully the jars will colonize from several points instead of just one.  My plan is to hope for the best with an understanding that i didn't choose the best method for beginners.  As far as restarting the timer on my LC I only ended up going an extra 6 minutes.  Once my PC hit 15psi i backed the heat down a little too much and as i was prepping dinner i looked over and saw that it had dropped down to 13psi so I turned it back up and restarted once the rocker started going again.  The LC is still clear just slightly piss yellow.  I will post some pics as soon as i see some growth.  No point taking them now.

#20 FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:43 PM

i:m seeing signs of life in my jars!  So far everything looks good.  Nothing going on in my LC jar yet but i'm in no hurry.20210722_182026.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!