24 replies to this topic

#21 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,880 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:22 PM

Might just be the picture lighting, the one on the right looks good, nice white mycelium. You can also see the growth rings those are another good sign of healthy spawn. See the way the mycelium forks out in a nice circle

However if that is grey colour growing in the left jar it looks contaminated. Might be one for disposal, if your unsure you can separate it from the rest until it becomes clearer what is going on in there

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 23 July 2021 - 04:23 PM.

• FractalFarmer likes this

#22 FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:21 PM

It doesn't look grey looking at it in person, except where it is growing across a sunflower seed, but just to be sure i will isolate it and keep a close eye on it.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#23 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 284 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:33 PM

I am one of the few who went straight to WBS many years ago, I've never made a cake Ever(but.. I've kind of wanted to just to DO it for some weird reason).  I now run Oats, but WBS has been good to me(at least 3 or 4 40lb bags worth) and your prep looks decent for a first time grain jar.  It looks like there is corn in there, which I prefer without, but it can still work.  I remember first thinking as a new guy, Popcorn or Bird Seed, went WBS for being Cheap and plentiful anywhere.  

That left jar is Suspect(looks dull and webby)... watch her like a Hawk!  

Edited by MushLuvR, 23 July 2021 - 05:36 PM.

#24 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,083 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:03 AM

Liquid cultures are great for long term cost but they can give some difficulty with contamination. Your jar may sour on you and you end up injecting ten or so jars with contaminated LC.

This is kind reaching back into the thread, but if you do get that liquid culture going, or next time, it's good to do a test jar or two to make sure it's good.

• MushLuvR likes this

#25 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,173 posts

Donator

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:20 PM

Isolate that suspect jar. I would give it a shake too, if it's contaminated you will know for sure in a couple days
  • MushLuvR likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!