• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 09:21 AM

Hey! I had 2 PF-Tek cakes develop pins in the jar at the same time. I birthed one (damaged it a bit on the way out of the jar), and left one in the jar to fruit (I left it in because I damaged the first one, lol). The cake I'm doing in-vitro is the one from my thread "help a newbie, do these mushrooms look healthy". It's fruiting quite well now!

Here's the other cake. I'm not sure if the discoloration is mold, stress, or something else. Any ideas? It hasn't pinned at all since birth, which was over a week ago, despite the fact that it started to pin before I birthed it.

Thanks for the help guys!

Attached Thumbnails

• Cake 1.jpg
  • Cake 2.jpg

#2 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 308 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2021 - 09:31 AM

That just looks like Myc bruising... are you misting too closely?  I like to mist from fairly far away and let it lightly drop onto the surface(nice beads).  In my experience, PE especially hates being blasted to close and will blue up QUICK.  FINE mist spraying, I've tried using my Solo sprayer(Cannabis Foliar) being lazy, yup trich'd it out too wet(should of left it in open air for awhile) and not a good mist equals FAIL.  Live and learn they say... Don't let the cake dry out and GL.  

• motley likes this

#3 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 11:11 AM

I try to do the same, misting up into the air and letting it fall like rain, I still might be doing too much though. Thanks for taking a look for me! I'll leave the top a bit more open than usually for a day or do, hopefully get it back to normal 

• MushLuvR likes this

#4 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,189 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2021 - 02:37 PM

how to easly tell if its bruising or contam

take Q-Tiip rubb the blue spot gently if  color rubs off on Q-tip its  contam if not iits bruising ........Ta Da

BEZ

• MushLuvR and motley like this

#5 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 05:26 PM

Great tip! Just tried it, and it seems to be bruising :) Should I let it dry out a bit?

• MushLuvR likes this

#6 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:38 PM

How often have you been misting? Bluing can be caused by the cake drying out as well.

#7 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 08:10 PM

Usually twice a day, I mist the sides and lid if they aren't already wet, and I spray one or two times up into the air and let it fall down on the cake, then fan. I've been fanning 3-4 times a day. The bottom of the cake is not bluing at all, so maybe it is getting the most water evaporating off of the bottom of the tub?

• MushLuvR likes this

#8 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2021 - 12:35 PM

Are you putting a lid on the container? How is it getting fresh air?
  • motley likes this

#9 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 02:51 PM

I put the lid on the container upside down, so there is a gap between the lid and the container. I usually have it at a drop of an angle too, to make a bit more of a gap

#10 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2021 - 06:38 PM

I can only guess without seeing it but I'm thinking it's probably drying out between mistings.

#11 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2021 - 06:41 PM

For Single cakes youd probably do better with quart containers like this with a few air holes poked in them.
gallery_150062_1561_663847.jpg
  • Sidestreet, ElPirana, Ringo and 2 others like this

#12 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 07:07 PM

I can definitely rig something like that up! You're probably right, especially since the bottom near the wettest part seems to be flourishing. Thanks for the help! I'll let you know how it goes :)

Edited by motley, 11 July 2021 - 07:08 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#13 livefrom215

livefrom215

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 11:26 AM

i would give that cake a overnight dunk and see if you can produce some fruits. It def looks dried out to me, give that a shot and see how things turn out. I also think Paste has a great idea with the quart containers. I allow my cakes to begin to fruit invitro then move them to a FC. What I did was took a shoebox tub and just punched a bunch of holes in the lid, I only put two cakes per shoebox and mist/fan 3 times a day- I only mist the sides of the container. Good luck with everything!!

#14 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the tip! I think I'll do that tonight. I've been misting a bit more, and there is maybe a drop more greenish blue showing up, with no signs of pinning. I'll give it a dunk and see how it goes

#15 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:48 PM

When choosing a container I shoot for roughly 1 quart volume per cake.
  • motley likes this

#16 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 05:46 PM

Cool!

So I dunked, changed the container, and am trying to keep the conditions just right. Should the blue go away if the cake is 'happy'? It's still there at the moment (but then again I just dunked last night and changed the container today, so it hasn't been that long yet)

• MushLuvR likes this

#17 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2021 - 12:21 AM

I'm pretty sure once its bruised it will stay that way. If it dried out too much you might not get anything more from it before it contaminates. Never hurts to start more cakes.

#18 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 06:34 AM

I have lots more colonizing :) about 13 more, plus a bulk grow shoebox that's almost colonized. Hopefully I'll have some more success with those! Thanks for all the feedback on this one, I'll leave it a bit longer in hopes that it will do something :)

#19 livefrom215

livefrom215

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 08:49 AM

You will have more success, every time you run thru the process you learn more and more! I threw out my first 15 tubs before I was able to successfully grow these fruits... I didn't have the knowledge or the patience in the beginning. Much love bro.... you will make it happen!!

• pastyoureyes and motley like this

#20 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm definitely lacking a bit of patience :D

It's strange, I'm a gardener, I just planted some purple sprouting broccoli that wont be harvested until NEXT spring, and asparagus that wont be harvested for 3 more years, but I still lack patience in this new endeavor :) 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!