7 replies to this topic

#1 Zwapa

Zwapa

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 07:26 AM

Hi Folks,

Bought my self a grow kit Golden Teachers. Already had 3 flushes, with the last one smaller fruiting bodies. So i dunked the cake in a water honey mix and now fruits have more brown caps instead of cinnemon caps. But fruiting again abundantely.

This on a side note and to let u know where the grow kit is going now or how it is doing ...

However my main question is as follows: is it possible to clone some of the mycelium? I have no experience whatsoever with agar or with grain to grain things. I know this exists, but that's it. Can it be accomplished with simple basic stuff you can buy in the grocery store? Or do i have to get myself some lab stuff?

Is it also possible with mycelium that has been fruiting already, or is the mycelium always thrown away after fruiting? Not like woodlovers where u just give them  new material to chew on.

I made some spore prints from the fruits of the first and second flush, but don't know if this was done sterile. And i didn't see a lot of spores on the foil neither...

Thanx .

• MushLuvR likes this

#2 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:22 PM

You can clone with sterile sections cut out from inside the mushroom stem for instance, and clone to agar. But the preferred method as far as I can tell is making spore prints. Some guys will make a spawn jar and then use chunks of that to start in some other sterile jars. Grain to grain transfer or something like that but that is usually done with fresh spawn not old spawn that has fruited.

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 12 July 2021 - 03:24 PM.

• Sidestreet and Zwapa like this

#3 Zwapa

Zwapa

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 08:30 AM

Will try the PF-tek with spores i guess. Thanx

#4 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 293 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:09 AM

Hi Folks,

Bought my self a grow kit Golden Teachers. Already had 3 flushes, with the last one smaller fruiting bodies. So i dunked the cake in a water honey mix and now fruits have more brown caps instead of cinnemon caps. But fruiting again abundantely.

This on a side note and to let u know where the grow kit is going now or how it is doing ...

However my main question is as follows: is it possible to clone some of the mycelium? I have no experience whatsoever with agar or with grain to grain things. I know this exists, but that's it. Can it be accomplished with simple basic stuff you can buy in the grocery store? Or do i have to get myself some lab stuff?

Is it also possible with mycelium that has been fruiting already, or is the mycelium always thrown away after fruiting? Not like woodlovers where u just give them  new material to chew on.

I made some spore prints from the fruits of the first and second flush, but don't know if this was done sterile. And i didn't see a lot of spores on the foil neither...

Thanx .

If you aren't getting purple spores all over the foil, let the mushroom mature longer and you will get thick prints. 

One of the easiest methods of expanding mycelium are Grain to Grain transfers which are really easy to do in a 11 dollar(tote.. AKA Still Air Box) insurance policy and some 70% ISO.  I remember the days of just shooting up spores in open air with a flamed needle and a SHIP.  I would say the good ol' days...but it will bite you hear and there gambling on syringes.  GL

MushL 

P1090425.JPG

Edited by MushLuvR, 15 July 2021 - 10:11 AM.

• Zwapa likes this

#5 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,187 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2021 - 11:08 AM

Ooooo CLONING .................do you have a clean air box ...eeeerrr

i mean( still. air. box ...SAB  )to work in ?or a Laminar ? That will help !

A Lot !

So i can suggest a  cpl ways to clone

You can  Clone  a cpl ways and doing  multiple jars or plates ....

more chance of success...

You can  clone  ether on agar/a plate /or no poor agar jar or whats called a small grain proof jar .

a grain proof jar is easy you can use them to test spores also to see if there clean . some clones do better on agar some better with grain proof so do both ..if you like .

OK to make small grain proof jar get a few 4 oz clear side canning jars/not the diamond quit ones ..OK A BUNCH  ha

i buy the generic clear side 4 oz jars  on amazon

OK modify  the lid put a  filter patch over a vent hole or plug with pollyfill  for (FA ...fresh. air. )

Also on the lid make a (SHIP self .healing. injection. port )with some silicone... regular  clear silicone is ok/best 

you don't need high temp RTV silicone .regular clear silicone actually can be PCed and regulhigh  clear silicone  stays more flexible then the more expensive i temp  RTV .

ok  fill your 4 oz jars ...about half  full of your prepped grain , PC/sterilize the  modifyed  40 oz  filled small grain proof jar and or make your sterile agar jars or plates ....the clear   4 oz  clear side jars make a good no poor agar jar .

Now  take a clean the mushroom to be cloned with alcohol take stem tear down the middle from the bottom in you SAB  cut out small sample of sterile flesh from center inside of stem  and put in sterile grain . do several if one or two grow clean/colonized  ....

NOW you can inject clean/sterile water into small grain proof jar with LARGE syringe   ...SHAKE then fill regular 10 cc sterile syringes with mycelium water  to use to inoculate your spawn or cakes ect . they will take off way faster then inoculating with spores... you can select the best clusters or biggest  mushrooms ect improving your culture .

or as mentioned above you can use the flesh from center of your stem to put tiny peace on agar ...so  if a agar plate or no poor agar jar grows clean you can use wedges of the mycelium agar  to inoculate .. 

ok i hope i haven't confused you .

good luck cloning

BEZ

Edited by bezevo, 15 July 2021 - 11:10 AM.

• Sidestreet and Zwapa like this

#6 Zwapa

Zwapa

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 06:00 AM

Thanx for the info.

And cloning from a fruiting body, the mushroom, it has to be fresh, not dried i suppose?

#7 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 293 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2021 - 07:37 AM

Yes Sir(fresh fruit), you will want to split the stem and get the clean tissue from inside in a SAB or LFH.  

Edited by MushLuvR, 16 July 2021 - 07:38 AM.

• Zwapa likes this

#8 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,187 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2021 - 10:21 AM

very fresh YES ..........

GOOD LUCK

BEZ

• Zwapa likes this