Paradox
©
Fisana

Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Can you spray moisture on a substrate while fruiting?


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MushroomSautee

MushroomSautee

    Mycophiliac

  • Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 01:52 PM

Hey all,
Hope you're doing great this Saturday. I have a substrate that is fully colonized and has begun fruiting. However, it looks like it's getting dry and the mushroom growth has slowed.

Will there be enough moisture to continue fruiting with a light mist on the container walls, or can I spray water directly on the substrate to re-hydrate it?
  • Moonless likes this

#2 Moonless

Moonless

    Mycotopiate

  • Black VIP
  • 913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2021 - 03:15 PM

Hello Mr. MushroomSautee,

 

Thanks for the well wishes my weekend is going well :) I wish the same to you.

 

As for your mushrooms, yes you can mist them! In fact misting is often needed to keep moisture up. I like to spray the sides of my fruiting chamber for magic mushrooms but for my edibles like oysters and reishi I spray directly!

 

A good guide is to spray whenever the moisture on the walls of the fruiting chamber has evaporated


  • MushLuvR likes this

#3 MushroomSautee

MushroomSautee

    Mycophiliac

  • Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 04:26 PM

My weekend is going great as well and I appreciate the information, thank you!

I tried spraying directly on the substrate and will see what happens.

#4 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

    Mycophage

  • Free Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:27 PM

I spray my Shiitake blocks for the first 3 days even in the Martha to induce a nice Pinset(blocks are dry even above 90%H).  Then I let the Martha do ALL the work.  Misting is fine, it's what the CoolMist(er) would be doing  automatically for you anyway(you are just manually doing it).  Just mist from a decent distance away and the beads will fall where they may.  


Edited by MushLuvR, 20 July 2021 - 01:28 PM.


#5 MushroomSautee

MushroomSautee

    Mycophiliac

  • Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:57 PM

So, quick update. I sprayed it with room temp water and the next day the mushroom caps developed ink blotches on the caps and the top of the substrate formed bluish gray around the mycelium. Looked like mold, maybe trichoderma or penicillium so I trashed the whole thing and sanitized the area.

What did I do wrong? Lol

Attached Thumbnails

  • PXL_20210719_235027904~2.jpg
  • PXL_20210719_235031523~2.jpg


#6 Moonless

Moonless

    Mycotopiate

  • Black VIP
  • 913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:34 PM

I think that is called the primordial veil. How long has the caps been like that? I actually think your block looks good.



#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

    Passenger

  • App Administrator
  • 9,071 posts

Donator


Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:37 PM

Definitely do a little research before you go toss stuff. When psilocin oxidizes it causes bluing. Here do a search....psilocybe mushroom bruising blue site:mycotopia.net

 

Edit: yes I realize that this topic is in the edible forum, maybe the OP has posted a magic grow in the wrong forum, thus missing all the info from that would be available in the Magic Forum. I wish we still had the :Facepalm: emoji.


Edited by coorsmikey, 20 July 2021 - 08:42 PM.


#8 MushroomSautee

MushroomSautee

    Mycophiliac

  • Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:56 PM

The caps only had white dots for the longest time. But overnight, after spraying the water, I got those black ink spots. The caps themselves had kind of stalled in their growth it seemed and the block felt dry so I irrigated it. Everything else looked good about them. No mold, no aborts, etc.

As for the health of the block, thanks for the confidence, glad it looks good. I might have been able to get another flush out of it but I was afraid of the mold spreading in my fruiting room.

#9 MushroomSautee

MushroomSautee

    Mycophiliac

  • Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:03 PM

Ahh thank you yes sorry I am in the wrong place. I will read about that further before doing anything drastic again lol.

Definitely do a little research before you go toss stuff. When psilocin oxidizes it causes bluing. Here do a search....psilocybe mushroom bruising blue site:mycotopia.net

Edit: yes I realize that this topic is in the edible forum, maybe the OP has posted a magic grow in the wrong forum, thus missing all the info from that would be available in the Magic Forum. I wish we still had the :Facepalm: emoji.






Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!