• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 triphazard636

triphazard636

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:48 PM

I’m trying to educate myself a bit more and i’m coming to realize that like everything else that grows PH levels are important for fungi as well. My understanding is that fungi like a higher PH versus an lower acidic PH. What is an acceptable PH level and is there such a thing as to high of a PH level for the fungi? what are the best ways to increase the PH?
  • Sidestreet likes this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,088 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:47 PM

Hey Triphazard, I haven't adjusted PH but I think you're right that slightly basic is good.  Lime is used as a buffer, but beyond that I don't know much.  Hopefully this post will bump your topic so someone with more experience in this can chime in.

• Salty117 likes this

#3 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:24 AM

Lime (aka Calcium Carbonate) is a good way to bump ph. I've seen a lot of people express they have good results at 8.0 to 8.5 ph. I like to combine the use of lime and alkaline water. Dollar General near me was selling quart bottles of 9.5 ph Alkaline water for like $0.80/bottle.

Egg shells are mostly Calcium Carbonate, so I like to wash my shells and powder those and store them in a container to use later when I have enough to make it worth using instead of the other stuff I pay for. And it reduces waste  :tongue:

Edited by Salty117, 21 July 2021 - 03:31 PM.

• Sidestreet and phlegmbae like this

#4 triphazard636

triphazard636

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 02:44 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have come across threads that have talked about a higher more base ph level being key to a successful yield. Like many others I grow cannabis and in the past have had to deal with mold and mildew and have learned that molds and mildew thrive in an acidic environment so while in the vegetative stage i’ll mist the plants with a water with a ph around 8.5 just as a preventative. the last 4 monotubs I have done all took a shit and when green on me only one gave me a decent flush. I’m just wondering if I had prepared my substrate with a higher ph if they would have done better. I have done more successful monotubs than unsuccessful so i’m just trying to rack my brain as to what the problem is. unfortunately even for how simple I keep things there could be a number of things that went wrong.

#5 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 08:54 AM

How did you go about preparing your substrate if I may ask? Pasteurization? Sterilization?

#6 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,336 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2021 - 07:42 AM

Ive always liked tp use some pickling limein my bulk sub.
  • Salty117 likes this

#7 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 01:51 PM

A higher PH is a hostile environment for most contaminants.

• invisibilitysyndrome and Salty117 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!