Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Rye Experimentation Working! Lot's of side pinning though: what should I do?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 796 posts

Donator

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:21 PM

I live by the motto, "when in doubt, throw it out."
That motto goes for the whole process of cultivation.
If the myc is winning the fight against the contam and recovers with fruits your gold with minimal issues at best.
I've tossed trays contam'd with trich outside and they recovered and still harvested fruits that were fine. I've also had tubs where the mush comes out sickly looking and slimy or blackened with soft spots. Those you DON'T want to eat.
A good thing for you to do if you don't mind me sayin' is, invest some of your free time into looking at fruits that come from molded grows and bacterial issues that occur on mushrooms through the cultivation process. 
Your tubs look fine.
Do your best to not overthink the process.

• motley likes this

#22 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:48 PM

The entire sub is pinning huge clusters completely through it....hahahaha....beautiful!

Yeah they look pretty good from here too......nice job.....enjoy...

Fiddle around, you'll be amazed at what you can fruit from......big black flower pots full of rye spawned HPOO.....mason jars, bags, holes in the ground.....

It's freaking endless.....

A

• Baphom3t, pastyoureyes, FLASHINGROOSTER and 2 others like this

#23 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:39 PM

Thanks guys! Since this is my first bulk grow, I was worried that there were too many pins, haha. Is that possible? How will they all have room to grow?

#24 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:33 PM

The entire sub is pinning huge clusters completely through it....hahahaha....beautiful!

Yeah they look pretty good from here too......nice job.....enjoy...

Fiddle around, you'll be amazed at what you can fruit from......big black flower pots full of rye spawned HPOO.....mason jars, bags, holes in the ground.....

It's freaking endless.....

A

Believe it or not I rolled up a 10 year old carpet to put out on garbage day and I forgot about it outside for a couple weeks. That somehow fruited.
  • Arathu, FLASHINGROOSTER and motley like this

#25 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:37 PM

Thanks guys! Since this is my first bulk grow, I was worried that there were too many pins, haha. Is that possible? How will they all have room to grow?

They might not get as big as you expect them to, only time will tell.

In anticipation of your first harvest...
gallery_150062_1521_757868.jpg

Hope that helps.
  • Baphom3t, Cuboid, MushLuvR and 1 other like this

#26 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:38 AM

That definitely helps! I've been harvesting some PF-Tek cakes over the last few weeks, and probably not getting the timing perfect. Sometimes I let the smaller fruits  go a bit too long, hoping they'd get a bit bigger, haha.

That's crazy about the carpet! Must have been all natural materials (wool?) Still pretty awesome! 

Edited by motley, 28 July 2021 - 05:38 AM.

#27 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:15 PM

That definitely helps! I've been harvesting some PF-Tek cakes over the last few weeks, and probably not getting the timing perfect. Sometimes I let the smaller fruits  go a bit too long, hoping they'd get a bit bigger, haha.

That's crazy about the carpet! Must have been all natural materials (wool?) Still pretty awesome!

Not sure about the carpet, I had recently pulled down plaster on top of it and I guess whatever fiber and glue was in the carpet it ate.

You dont have to get them all at the same maturity level, it's just a guide to give you an idea of what the fruits should look like when they are fully matured. No need to get them all at the exact right time.
  • MushLuvR and motley like this

#28 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:16 AM

Cool! That definitely will help with the harvesting! That is definitely crazy (about the carpet!) 

I have another question about this grow, but it might be easier for me to start another thread for it. Check it out here:

https://mycotopia.ne...breaking-early/

Edited by motley, 29 July 2021 - 11:23 AM.

#29 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:25 PM

One of my favorite projects(Among Many) was actually my own fault, I had a PE6 tub that I neglected and I didn't catch the drip in time(in the same spot over and over) and it triched out on me in a small spot.  I had SO much going on at the time and it was early March so I threw it outside and cased it with some of my old recycled Cannabis soil that's been composting for almost a year.  I just sprayed it here and there with a water hose (mist sprayer all in 1)in the morning to keep the moisture and evap going.  A month later I'm blessed with just over 3.5 zips of some FINE beautiful Outside Potent specimens.  BIG CAPS and short thick Stipes.  My profile pic is one of the bigger Caps.  Crazy that my favorite "project or projects" is a FUG UP!   :hookah:

I'm weird like that, I learn more from Mistakes than repeating Success.  All for the LUV of the MUSH!!

Edited by MushLuvR, 29 July 2021 - 12:26 PM.

• motley likes this

#30 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:07 PM

Cool! That definitely will help with the harvesting! That is definitely crazy (about the carpet!) 

I have another question about this grow, but it might be easier for me to start another thread for it. Check it out here:
 https://mycotopia.ne...breaking-early/

It would be much easier if you would stick with one thread.

#31 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 03:03 PM

Hey MushluvR! That is awesome! Kind of like playing music, when you hit a "wrong" note, it's OK as long as you are open and willing to learn how to use the additional chaos to make the music even better!

Hey Pastyoureyes!  Sorry about the confusion. I wasn't sure if one thread per grow, or one thread per topic was the best way to go. Most of this thread was about the method of sterilization/experimentation and other things associated with that. I figured since the question I was going to bring up was completely unrelated to that, it would make more sense to create a new thread.

• pastyoureyes and MushLuvR like this

#32 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:05 AM

It's your thread, you can ask unrelated questions if you so choose. It just makes it easier for those of us trying to follow along what you are doing to not have to navigate a maze of different threads. Also makes it easier for you to reference later.

Edited by pastyoureyes, 30 July 2021 - 12:16 AM.

#33 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:44 AM

Makes sense :)

Thanks for all of your help with this grow as well!

I just harvested 10 good ones this morning, and many more are coming up!

• pastyoureyes and MushLuvR like this

#34 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:21 PM

It's your thread, you can ask unrelated questions if you so choose. It just makes it easier for those of us trying to follow along what you are doing to not have to navigate a maze of different threads. Also makes it easier for you to reference later.

Well SAID...

MushL

• motley likes this

#35 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:48 PM

Pics?
  • MushLuvR likes this

#36 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 05:52 AM

I harvested more last night, here's some picks of the 7 or so dry grams so far. One problem though: almost all the side pins now look like aborts, and the fruits that still look viable are the same size today as they were 2 days ago (I think, one or two might have grown a bit). Also, that upside down one is a bit strange, and hasn't been growing at all. Is the first flush over? Did it put all its energy into those 18 or so fruits? Did I do something wrong? What's the next step?

Attached Thumbnails

• harvest.jpg
  • stuck 1.jpg
  • stuck 2.jpg
  • stuck 3.jpg
  • stuck 4.jpg
  • stuck 5.jpg

#37 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 312 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2021 - 02:21 PM

I see plenty of moisture in that THICK A$$ Sub, AIR is your friend at this stage(looks like you have plenty of pins and knotting).  I can't see the surface, is there beads of water?

Edited by MushLuvR, 01 August 2021 - 02:23 PM.

• motley likes this

#38 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 03:29 PM

Fewer beads of water on the surface than there was a week ago, but they're still there. Most of the pins, especially the side pins seem to be aborting, but you're right, there are still lots of knots! I'll try to increase the airflow a bit. Do you think lack of air could be causing the aborts? 

#39 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2021 - 04:36 PM

If they have stopped growing I'd pick them before they get nasty and set up for the next flush.

#40 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 05:58 PM

What about all the tiny pins that have turned darkish, should I pick and save all the pins? When the surface started to show signs of having less water droplets, I started manually misting more, I wonder if I made things too moist in there with the light misting. Would that plus lack of air lead to all the aborts?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!