• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:24 PM

For some reason this thread double posted, just respond to this one. Sorry about that!

I think this is the third flush of an in-vitro grow. Every time I harvest, I fill the jar with water overnight, drain in the morning, and within 12-24 hours I get another "flush". This third "flush" has more pins than the first two. The question is, and the reason I use "flush" in quotes is this: is it normal for the flushes to come on so quickly after soaking, or do I keep interrupting the first flush, and then it just continues? Sorry if this is a really strange newbie question. I'm just surprised that each "flush" not only comes on so quickly, but also that each gives more mushrooms than the one before. 

P.S. The color is just bluing from the difficulty of getting the lower in-vitro shrooms out, not contamination.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg

Edited by motley, 22 July 2021 - 03:43 PM.

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,427 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:02 PM

Flushes work by pushing down that handle on the side of the tank.   :tongue:  (sorry, couldn't resist)

post-136504-0-40689300-1626987674.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• types-of-toilet-flush-mechanism.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 22 July 2021 - 04:03 PM.

• Sidestreet, phlegmbae, Myc and 1 other like this

#3 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:19 PM

Lol! I was asking for it :D

• Juthro likes this

#4 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 791 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:30 PM

I think you just happen to have grown some really healthy jars of a strain thats a prolific fruiter! Mush on!!!

I'd be a happy bunny anyhow.

You'll probably find you get the peak flush soon then it'll slow down / produce less fruit per flush. (Unless they succumb to contamination)

Cuboid.

• Sidestreet, Juthro and motley like this

#5 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:28 PM

Cool! So I should keep going with a 4th and 5th flush after this one? Will that bluish material from the in-virto harvesting of squished mushrooms invite contamination if I keep going?

#6 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 885 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:39 PM

I would let them go as many flushes as possible. Either it’ll finally contaminate or just simply stop producing at some point.
  • Cuboid and motley like this

#7 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,033 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2021 - 03:52 AM

If you're new to the hobby, you may want to go for as many flushes as possible.  Once you get to the point where you're not worried about getting every last possible gram, you might like to scrap projects after two or three flushes.  That way you're not spending time on the diminishing returns, you can spend that time on a new project, and you avoid the possible cross-contamination from waiting until something goes bad.

If you have mushrooms popping up just a few days after your first "flush", they may be pins that were lagging behind the group a little rather than a true "flush".  I wonder if this is more common with multispore/non-isolate grows.

• Juthro, ElPirana and motley like this

#8 motley

motley

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:10 AM

Thanks for the advice! It definitely helps. It was a multi-spore grow, so that is definitely a possibility! I'll wait a bit after this flush ends to see if I'm jumping the gun a bit too :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!