#1 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:45 AM

I was up in Greenwater WA today. This is a very popular camping area off of 410 just out of Greenwater. I turned left where the old train trestle used to cross 410, there is still the berms on both sides of the road that held up the bridge. Maybe 2-3 miles past Greenwater and it goes to the left as you are going uphill. Anyhow as I was going up towards the shooting area, I noticed these plants by the roadside. They were EVERYWHERE. Lining the roads on both sides. 

If you are not familiar with Giant Hogweed, you NEED to be. This stuff is one of the most cursed plants God ever put on this planet. It makes poison ivy and poison oak look like powder puffs. ONE brush with this stuff can have life long repercussions, and it is truly a horrible thing. So far only one person I mentioned it to had any idea what it is, so this information needs to be shared. This stuff is godawful to brush up against, and even the pollen blowing off of it can be a nightmare. 

PLEASE share this with your family and kids in particular. I will include a google link that shows what it looks like, and if you scroll down a bit, in the black section it shows the repercussions of any encounter with this stuff. The section is called Giant Hogweed burns. 

I was absolutely amazed how prevalent it had become. Do yourself and your kids a favor, and show them the google link that shows what it looks like. This stuff is a nightmare to deal with. If you find it in your yard, they send out a hazmat team in full suit regalia to remove it. I literally was shocked to see so many of them up there where it is such a popular camping area. I know many of the people on here are from the Pacific NW, so this is need to know information. 

One brush up against this can have life long complications. It is like Poison Ivy on meth and steroids. Google it and look at the wounds it causes. This was in a popular camping area and it lined the roadsides. I took this picture to compare to google images, and this is the baaaad stuff. You need to show this to the kids, and the adults. Most people have never heard of this invasive plant, and I was shocked to see it so prevalent in Greenwater near many popular camping sites. PLEASE look it up and see what it does. Even the pollen is dangerous.  The google link will not link here, so please look it up!

Edited by riseabovethought, 23 July 2021 - 03:06 PM.
Fixed font color

• Skywatcher, ElPirana and MushLuvR like this

#2 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:48 AM

Giant Hogweed - Google Search

Edited by riseabovethought, 23 July 2021 - 03:07 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#3 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,129 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2021 - 03:46 AM

Thanks for the PSA!  Glad I don't have that to worry about.  Worst we have is a few venemous snakes. 

Edited by riseabovethought, 23 July 2021 - 03:07 PM.

• TVCasualty, Coopdog and MushLuvR like this

#4 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:38 AM

The black text happened to me the other day as well, I tried to fix it, but it was a NO GO.  

Thanks for the heads up Coop, good information NO doubt.  

Edited by MushLuvR, 23 July 2021 - 08:39 AM.

• Coopdog likes this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,998 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for not posting pictures of what that stuff does to you.........

(I had to look on my own)

Having had poison oak at least 20 times, I thought that stuff was nasty. The Giant Hogweed burns are indeed a nightmare......

• Coopdog likes this

#6 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,432 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:07 AM

Supposedly the stuff is in Michigan too but I haven't seen it yet.

Invasive but easy to kill off while it's young if you're willing to do the labor

• Coopdog likes this

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,789 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2021 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the PSA!  Glad I don't have that to worry about.  Worst we have is a few venemous snakes.  I tried to fix the black text but it didn't help.  Not sure what the deal is there.

You can fix weird formatting by selecting all the text that you want to change and then clicking the eraser button in the Editor (it's just to the right of the icon that looks like a light switch). That button deletes all HTML tags and non-default formatting.

There were no font color tags making the text black so it was odd that it showed up that way. I don't really know why the eraser fixes it.

Edited by TVCasualty, 23 July 2021 - 01:48 PM.

• Sidestreet and Coopdog like this

#8 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:36 PM

Well my post came out all jumbled and doubled here and there anyways, but at least it gets the point across. I took a picture of the stuff up in the mountains, I will get it onto my comp and add it here too. Thanks for trying! :) 

I edited this to put the picture I took in as well. This is a small spindly one growing in the shade, I was just taking a picture to compare the leaf structure for my own purposes. Once I realized it WAS the stuff, I felt obligated to point it out. Most people I discussed it with had no idea what it even was. Most of these were 8-10 feet tall at least and growing in big stands of them. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Hogweed.jpg

Edited by Coopdog, 23 July 2021 - 03:12 PM.

#9 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,038 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:08 AM

Weird for some reason I recently watched a video about that nasty weed. Hazmat suit indeed

• Coopdog likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!