5 replies to this topic

#1 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:50 PM

Hello brains,

The guideline I've seen is that cultures will eventually senesce and lose vigor after repeated transfers (a2a, g2g, clones of clones) with the same media. I've been searching on here to see if I can find some experiments showing how fast this happens, but am only seeing general guidelines without hard data.

I'm sorry if I'm missing it, but could someone point me to a previous experiment with cubensis looking at this? If not, I'm thinking I might do this and write it up in the myco lab.

• coorsmikey and pastyoureyes like this

#2 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:44 PM

Nothing so far, I guess? I'm thinking I'll do this, then, and use this thread as an in-progress workspace.

I've thought of three experiments:

1. agar -> grain -> substrate -> fruits -> clone to agar, repeat

keeping track of yields and colonization time for each cycle;

2. agar -> agar, repeat

fruiting every third (or fourth, or whatever) transfer, keeping track of yields and colonization times;

3. grain -> grain, repeat

fruiting each transfer (or every other or whatever) and recording data.

My thought is to do use three clones each of three cubensis varieties simultaneously (9 cultures in total). Due to space considerations, I think I'll fruit in vitro in bags. I prefer to grow on manure and straw generally, but to make things more consistent I might just use coir for substrate, not sure about this still.

The main thing I can't control is temperature: in the winter I grow in a heated space, so I can control that, but it gets hot in the summer and I don't have cooling available.

I have space to do one of these experiments at a time, currently. I'm curious about the results, but I also want to get a start at doing statistically rigorous experiments with psychedelic agronomy as there might be somewhat of a shortage of this in the OMC. I'd really appreciate feedback, suggestions, or critique...

• Sidestreet, bezevo and Salty117 like this

#3 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:13 PM

OK, I'm going to do this. I'll start by trying to quantify how quickly cultures degrade after repeated agar -> agar transfers with the same media. Thinking I'll do two replicates each of three varieties, as that's about as much space as I can put towards this.

Swiped cubensis PESH, Costa Rica, and PE#6 spores to agar. I've grown PESH and Costa Rica before (the first for about a year now, the second for several years), PE#6 is new to me. I'm going to grow tubs without isolating strains, and then I'll pick a couple fruits to clone of each to get started.

agar.jpg

• Sidestreet and Salty117 like this

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,087 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:06 PM

Science!  A well-documented thread with lots of good pictures would be a big deal.  :)

• newmoon likes this

#5 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 11:56 AM

Everything germinated, and I did a transfer to clean it up. If those are clean, I'll go to LC -> grain -> tubs and pick out some clones to use.

• bezevo, Salty117 and YoshiTrainer like this

#6 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 07:59 PM

I feel it’s only documented in the gourmet industry as they don’t mess with spores.

Who knows how old those numbered cultures are. I’ve transferred plates out for a year with no issues. I stopped marking after about T25 lol

Edited by rockyfungus, 16 August 2021 - 08:00 PM.

• fahtster and newmoon like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!