• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SelfTransformingMachineElf

SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:15 AM

Sorry for dropping off - work & life have been very busy lately.

My couple of PF cakes that I made have kept my head clear - microdosing every morning in a little tea.

I've been trying to bulk up.  I've dumped lots of stuff because basically I didn't believe folks when they said that you don't want a sealed container for bulk (after pasteurization).  But now I've got some buckets with filtered holes, and I think I'm losing pretty badly to cobweb mold still.  When I mix my bulk with my rye grain spawn, I've got to say that the rye grain has a mushy texture to it that I wasn't expecting, and although the jars are solid white, the colonization seems a little suspect.  After shaking jars, they sometimes appear a little oily.  I know that's a telltale sign of wetspot.  I'm very familiar with the smell of wetspot and have a sensitive nose, and don't pick up any wetspot currently.

I decided to switch to straight rye grass seed (with buffer) and see if I have any better luck.  I inoculated 21 RGS quarts earlier in the week with an isolate (Treasure Coast), so it will be a little while before I can try at bulk again.

I think next time, I'll add an oscillating tower fan on the boxes.  I opened the boxes this morning, and they were a little wetter than I would have liked.  So hopefully with the fan, I can fix the wetness problem and the cobweb problem.

Feeling pretty discouraged.  I'm not sure if there was something wrong with my grain, if there's something wrong with my straw, my WC, or my pasteurization technique.  I started using an Instant Pot for pasteurization of about a gallon and a half at a time.  It is so easy - I'm not certain it's working, but I don't think I could find the time to try another pasteurization technique.

In the past, I had lots of luck with coir + WC, so I'll probably try a little of that again.  I was really hoping to get the straw working, but I suspect perhaps the cobweb is endemic to the straw.  So we'll see if I can rule that out.

I'm going to try to be around a little more moving forward.  The doses I am taking are helping me be a more effective person in general, so time is beginning to free up as I clear my backlog.

Best regards.

• ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#2 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:58 AM

If you have any pictures it can help to diagnose potential problems. Do you have pictures of the jars before spawning? Mold can grow with a white color and change color later, which can be deceptive. If the grain spawn has mold, then likely no matter what you do to properly pasteurize the sub, it’s still going to fail.

The grain & substrate mix needs to breathe a little. A sealed container will stall growth, but you also don’t want high air exchange like when in fruiting conditions. I will generally use a few small holes covered with micropore tape while the sub is being consolidated, don’t open the container at all until ready to fruit.

Extra moisture...could simply be condensation. Again it’s not worth opening the containers until ready for fruiting IMO.

Good luck with the grow!

#3 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:15 AM

With the instant pot, take off the valve-thingy. If you have a long thermometer or one on a cord thread it through there so you can watch the temperature.
Been awhile since I clocked mine, but I've pasteurized straw/manure in there. 

Might want to look into lime. 

#4 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:33 AM

Thanks ElPirana.  I still haven't located my old beater digital camera.  Maybe I'll spend some more time looking for it this weekend.

rockyfungus - that's a cool idea - I'm going to try that!  It's my wife's Instant Pot, so may take a little lobbying.

#5 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:21 PM

Can always wing it with a bucket and boiling water…
  • MushLuvR likes this

#6 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:17 PM

If you are struggling, you mentioned your Rye being Mushy(or feels mushy), tighten up your prep technique and let the grains Dry out well... before PC'n(I prefer 90mins).  I would go simple SUB and that will always be Coco/Verm... or just Coco by itself(I prefer CV or Manure with CV these days).  You can sterilize, pasteurize, and HOT boiling water(as stated above) Coco, it doesn't matter... the most forgiving and a huge block is 10 bucks(many tubs).... and has the best track record for novice growers all the way to intermediate/Advanced.  If I didn't get horse manure for free, I would still be doing CV... and a little G.   :laugh:

Edited by MushLuvR, 30 July 2021 - 04:42 PM.

• rockyfungus likes this

#7 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:58 PM

Sounds like maybe poor pasteurization but if your grains are mushy you may have another problem. I'm pretty good at spotting cobweb since I had an ongoing battle with it. Pics would be very helpful.

#8 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:11 PM

Yeah pastyoureyes - I'm thinking there's something wrong with my grain itself.  I was so excited - I've never had good success with rye grain (typically wetspot), so when I got nice white jars, I thought I was set.

I'm trying RGS because I feel like that's going better.  I feel confident with my sterilization and sterile technique - so I'm not sure what's going on.  At least I'm feeding my head right now - the microdosing has been helping immensely.  I'm kind of bummed because I've always wanted to get pans going, but so far I can't get anything to fruit on my straw/WC or straw/compost.

MushLuvR, are you saying that after I prep the jars for the PC run, to let them sit a while?  I definitely haven't been doing that - so I may give it a try.

rockyfungus - I get so annoyed trying to keep the temp up, and trying to keep the substrate down (as in not sinking) - so the Instant Pot has been a nice addition.  Maybe I'll just buy my own, although we already have two.

• MushLuvR likes this

#9 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:07 AM

I like to use two strainers when I'm making 7 jars worth of Oats.  I don't use Rye, but I believe they need to drip dry pretty good as well before jarring up and sterilizing. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!