• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 04:59 AM

Hello fellow shroomers I've been inoculated 38 jars 9-10 days ago.
24 of them are B+ and they are colonizing really good and really fast i would say about 60% ,however i have 14 Mckkenai brf jars and they got 0 sing of mycelium, 1 of them had black mold on top of jar and I threw that one away so my question is can I reinoculate those jars or should I leave them for a few more days to se if they'll start coloniizng.
I have 3 (20cc) syringes left. 1 is mckkenai and 2 are Albino - strain.
Those albino strain spore print was in dark place in my closet for almost a year but I've made 2 syringes out of it.
So my question is should I wait few more days or Reinoculate them or just throw them away and make new one?
Peace

#2 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 293 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:41 AM

Leave them be... I wouldn't shoot em' Up again.  I don't have experience with McKennaii, but spores can take time to catch fire.  IF it were an LC, that wouldn't be good.  "Patience YOUNG Jedi".   :meditate:

• Salty117 likes this

#3 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:55 AM

I understand that my mate but if they don' sohw sing of mycelium after 2 weeks then I don't know.... 

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,100 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:27 AM

I wouldn't use my last spore syringe on re-inoculating BRF jars. After sitting for a couple weeks they are going to be less than ideal conditions. But on the other hand for the sake of learning and experimentation, if you have lots of spores to spare then its better than tossing and waisting the jars. There is always a chance that re-inoculation may savage them as there is an increased chance now of it not working as well.

Two weeks is about the limit for me to wait to write off spores as dead or sterile. sometimes they sit in hot mailbox  or even a cool fridge to long. you can beat yourself up trying to figure out a dead syringe, but it happens.

• TVCasualty, Arathu and MushLuvR like this

#5 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 01:04 PM

I made my own syringes from print so they can't get to old :D I'll wait 5 more days if not , gonna inoculate again or gonna make new jars! Thanks for help guys! 
Really appreciate it ! 
Peace bro's

#6 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,187 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2021 - 02:13 PM

Maybe you could make some Liquid culture. with spores . .?
Inoculating with LC will get future grows going faster
You now can expand your small amount of spores with a LC and inoculate lots and lots of cakes or grain jars .. with your clean LC.
It also LC will keep for long time in fridge /maybe years ... that's pushing it hah ,
.mycelum from LC will grow faster When you inoculate your cakes or Spawn jars with LC .

Also a even faster grow and better chance of clean grow try making some small 4 oz. grain proof jars, using modified lids with a SHIP / self healing injection port .
Inoculate your sterile modified small grain proof jars, if one grows clean make mycelium syringe from one of the clean vigorous small grain proof jars .

You can USE / order some generic clear side 4 oz jars from Amazon and some white or gray plastic standard size lids to modify .at thrifty price .
Don't use the diamond side jars .
These 4 0z. clear side jars are also good for no poor AGAR

Myself i order pre made 29Mmm filter patch's and 13mm or 7 mm silicone pre-made SHIP from Amazon $9 for 100
Or you can make your own SHIP easy ...
drill hole in plastic lid ,using ordinary clear bathroom silicone apply a small blob of silicone on top of hole , when it drys apply another blob of silicone on other side /inside of lid .
You do not need the more expensive RTV high temp silicone it gets brittle and the regular cheaper silicone stays more flexible longer and can be PC sterilized just fine cheaper better heh

The advantage of the small grain proof jars you can test your LC or spores to see if one of the jars grows clean .
Fill the small 4 oz jar half full of your prepared grain and PC . the lid should have hole with Polyfill or a small filter patch and a SHIP ..
After sterilized the small grain Proof Jar ... inoculate it with spores or LC ..threw the SHIP/ or pollyfill , Maybe make 4 to 6 jars grain proof jars .

Select one of the fully colonized jars that grew clean,vigorous ?
USING A LARGE Syringe inject a bunch "sterilized water" ...into the fully colonized small grain proof jar shake the water in the colonized jar,
with-draw myceliated water in to syringes maybe 10cc syringes.. make mycelium syringes...make a bunch heh
Use these mycelium syringes To inoculate your cakes or grain jars with .

Also maybe inoculate a few more sterlized small grain proof jars and or LC for next grows ......?

These small grain proof jars are Also a great way to grow a a clone .use cloning to your genetics .improve by selecting from for best cluster or interesting form or vigorous growth ect.

i hope that's not to much info ........or not enough ?

Good LUCK !

BEZ

Edited by bezevo, 31 July 2021 - 04:19 PM.

• Cheebaman likes this

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,650 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2021 - 03:08 PM

Sometimes people kill their spores by not letting the needle cool off before inoculating a jar.

After all this time the substrate is likely on the dry side, so if you try again go ahead and give them a lot as the extra water will help rehydrate the sub.

• Cheebaman and MushLuvR like this

#8 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:55 AM

Well I'm a noobie in mushroom cultivtion so I'm gonna try reinoculate them tomorrow I will inoculate 40 jars witha abino a- strain and some more b+ jars and I'll let them sit and we'll see how they grow in coming days...
This b+ are like 70-80% done and 0 jars contaminated in about 10 days ...mckennai still no sing of mycelIum so I'm gonna reinoculate them tomorrow and we'll se what happens :D
Ty all for advices, really appreciate it! 
Peace my shroom brothers!

• TVCasualty likes this

#9 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 01:25 PM

3 cakes got some black mold on top of the jars where vermiculite is and they are 80% colonized i moved them away from other 30+ jars ,should I just toss them?

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,650 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:05 PM

Put them outside under some bushes and water the hell out of them (or let it rain on them) and they might pop a flush.

But if there's ANY hint of contamination in a jar or substrate, get rid of it. If it's mostly colonized try to recover a flush outside but if not assume it's fucked. The safe way to deal with contaminated jars is to PC them before cleaning them out (60 minutes @ 15 psi).

• Cheebaman likes this

#11 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:17 AM

Well I don't have PC I never used it I use normal pots and I'm boiling them for 3 hours and never had any problem.(3-4) time growing them and from 150+jars I'd say 10 went wrong, I didn't use glove box either cuz i don't have one and don't know where to find it in my country I simply use some small drawer close the whole room I'm doing it in and I whipe the whole place with alchocol and bleach and never had problems with making syringes. 
The black mold is on top layer where verm is and it's looking like mycelium is fighting back but i'll toss it completly in garbage in day or 2 just want to see how it will go :D other 30+ jars are fine but mckkenai still no sing of mycelium.
Today is my work day gonna make some 40+ more jars I got 60 cc syringes left and one mckkenai spore print. Today is a journey day for me :D

#12 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:39 AM

And one last question is it better to make new substrate or should i reinoculate jars? 
Peace

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,650 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:56 AM

Always better to make new jars IMO.

Contamination starting at the top of the substrate suggests it got contaminated from the air after being boiled/steamed, so maybe the verm layer got wet or wasn't thick enough. If water boils up the sides of the jars it can get into the jars and saturate the verm layer, so make sure that's not happening by not packing them as densely in the pot (or not letting it boil as vigorously).

• MushLuvR likes this

#14 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,187 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:56 AM

These days

MOST don't use a GLOVE BOX  ..............they use  SABA ( Still Air Box )

kinda like glove box but a bit Simpler .

Ok  find  a large clear tote  ..cut two 5 inch arm holes.. i use the lid as the base  ..thats it

Just think ....first... were do the two arm holes need to be CUT/LOCATED For You to make working in the box  comfortable, '

Its a bit hard to cut nice neat circles.......so ......i took   a LARGE CAN that had had held  peaches in it .i cut  the top and the bottom out of the can .  i set it on a burner tell it was red hot HOT !

BE CAREFUL don't  get burned ..  i used a pair vice grips grabbed the hot can  and melted a cpl nice perfect arm holes in one side of the clear tote .

. make sure there's plenty of fresh air ventilation when you do this because of the plastic fumes generated melting your arm holes into the side of your clear tote ....eeerrrrrr SAB .

Now you have a simple SAB to work in .

Use slow steady moments to not stir up air SAB

i wipe out the SAB  with alcohol before work . think about fumes before you light a lamp or flame a needle ..or you might make a Cool Giant Fire Ball ha ha .....think Safety

i shower pull clean cloths right  out of dryer and dress for work .in the SAB .

i bought my large tote at BIG LOTS  at a thrifty price and it had clear well fitting  lid .

Easy Thrifty

you might watch for a good large PC at a thrift store .

BEZ

Edited by bezevo, 04 August 2021 - 11:17 AM.

• Salty117 and MushLuvR like this

#15 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 293 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:13 AM

I call my SAB the 11 dollar Insurance policy, it's been great to me and holes made using an old 6" metal Coffee Can I had laying around(heated up).  Perfect holes and wonderful point Bezevo, make sure you mock the holes so they will be comfortable.  You don't want to be feeling like a TREX in your SAB.   :tongue:

• Salty117, Cheebaman and rockyfungus like this

#16 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,187 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:10 PM

so  any Cheebaman any updates ?

#17 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:39 AM

Sry guys was on vacation so I didn't post these days .I just came back...well my cakes are finished I think but I don't see pins so I didn't birth them yet, any suggestions for making monotub from cakes because I want bigger yield then from cakes.

All b+ are 100% colonized but I'll leave them for few days more so I'm sure they are colonized in the middle of jar.

Mckkenai no sing of colonization still so I'll make new one , and I've injected 40 jars of albino-strain 

Ty all for your help!

Edited by Cheebaman, 13 August 2021 - 05:42 AM.

#18 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:46 AM

https://mycotopia.ne...-monotub-help/ 
this was my monotub from last year cakes were good but all monotubs got trich mold and I was so pissed 2-3 months gone for nothing 

#19 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 07:55 AM

And can my tub be some other color than transperent like blue or black?

#20 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,650 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2021 - 08:44 AM

And can my tub be some other color than transperent like blue or black?

Maybe. They need to be exposed to enough light to tell them which way is up (so not very much, but some), so a totally opaque bin is not ideal. Is the lid dark too?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!