• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SelfTransformingMachineElf

SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:06 PM

As I try to dial in whatever's going wrong with my bulk attempts, I've decided I'm just going to go big PF.  Only problem - no wide-mouth pint jars to be found!  I'm trying my last stop tomorrow - wish me luck.  Crazy how unavailable jars are these days.

Hopefully with my isolate, I'll get some reasonable yields.

Good ole' PF.

• Sidestreet, YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#2 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:24 PM

Maybe you could pick up some mushroom grow bags if you can't find the right jars? Certain food containers , polypropylene/recycle symbol 5 may be PCed.

Good luck!
  • Arathu, Juthro and SelfTransformingMachineElf like this

#3 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:31 PM

Yoshi - I actually have 1000 mushroom grow bags sitting here.  I've never used bags before - but obviously the plan is to TRY them... at some point!

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#4 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:51 PM

Today could be the day!

You don't have to fill the bags full, maybe just 3-4 inches in the bottom for a small block or maybe 1/2? full so you can lay it on its side (after pc and inoculation) to fill a shoe box. You can fruit many cubes in the bag as is or cut a few holes and use polyfil or micropore. If you don't have a heat sealer, some people just fold the top over a few times and clip or tape in place.
  • Salty117, SelfTransformingMachineElf and MushLuvR like this

#5 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,955 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:30 AM

Bag growing works like a charm......what are you using to inoculate, spawn, your bulk subs with? 

A

• YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#6 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 398 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:59 AM

Today could be the day!

You don't have to fill the bags full, maybe just 3-4 inches in the bottom for a small block or maybe 1/2? full so you can lay it on its side (after pc and inoculation) to fill a shoe box. You can fruit many cubes in the bag as is or cut a few holes and use polyfil or micropore. If you don't have a heat sealer, some people just fold the top over a few times and clip or tape in place.

You can also close the bag in a SAB with a ZIP Tie, works consistently.  

#7 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 398 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2021 - 10:02 AM

As I try to dial in whatever's going wrong with my bulk attempts, I've decided I'm just going to go big PF.  Only problem - no wide-mouth pint jars to be found!  I'm trying my last stop tomorrow - wish me luck.  Crazy how unavailable jars are these days.

Hopefully with my isolate, I'll get some reasonable yields.

Good ole' PF.

The 4 Cup Zip tubs are PP5(even non-name brands usually are it's stamped on the bottom) and would be nice perfect Squares, I've never done PF, but for some reason lately, I just want to just because I haven't(sort of deal).  I have plenty of Rice Bran for edible blocks, hmmm... maybe I will one of these Days for Gits and Shiggles.   :tongue:

#8 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,108 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2021 - 04:44 PM

I'm still a big fan of cakes.  Go ahead and try them, why not?  You can try bags at the same time.  :D

• Juthro likes this

#9 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,217 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2021 - 06:15 PM

you can find GENERIC wide mouth 1/2 pint and pint jars ...  far cheaper than ball  on Amazon and order some  white or gy plastic lids to modify while your at it.

The 1/2 pint jars will fully   colonize faster and if need be for  fruiting space you could double stack them .

#10 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:07 PM

Sidestreet - I have a great deal of experience with cakes - it's not a matter of trying it.  I was just hoping for a little more mushrooms for a little less effort (time, actually).

bezevo - I do prefer half pint jars for speed of colonization.  However, it's twice as many inoculations - so pint jars win out.  I actually lucked out - Target was stocking the shelf as I went through looking.

With regards to the bags - yes, they are on the short list.  I actually got the bags because I want to set back a lot of Atlantis bags and harvest them in 3 months.

#11 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,217 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:15 PM

Atlantis ...........thats a Mexican type stone producer ?

Originally collected in Georgia?

I'm interested in your results of your  Bag Atlantis grow  . what grain or grains ?

seems most are letting them go for 4 months to  one year . but from reading seems 6 months to 7 months seem good . are you going to track a few bags at different amounts time to see whats optimal ?

hope you keep us up dated .

thanks

Edited by bezevo, 09 August 2021 - 04:18 PM.

#12 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:22 PM

I will update, bezevo.  You're right about the Atlantis.  It's a prolific stone producer.  I'm using RGS.  I'm actually going to harvest quite a few jars (like 20) over the next few days I think - although I think mine are only at three months.  I think I probably just ought to break down and buy a cheap point and click digital camera - I can't seem to find the one I thought I had and was planning on using for pictures.

#13 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,599 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2021 - 03:15 PM

aside from your bulk substrates not pasteurizing properly due to what sounds like improper pasteurization, you can avoid contams, increase colonization times, and produce better results in general by using a higher percentage of spawn. It is always a race against the badies so the more inoculation points mixed into the substrate, the faster you will finish the race...

I use bags extensively with bulk substrates but unless you solve your pasteurization woes, you are going to have the same issues you were having with tubs or whatever receptacle you have been using.

Im not sure what methods you have been using to prep your spawn and I have never used an insta-pot but it sounds like you are not keeping your sub at pasteurization temp long enough. I also make sure my substrate is wet the whole way through before starting my steam pasteurization. I assume the substrate is submerged entirely in water when using the insta-pot but I am not really sure how those things work.

How long are you pasteurizing? I would increase your pasteurization times.

I would suggest soaking your straw overnight before mixing it with the rest of your substrate so that seeds and endospores germinate. They are more easily neutralized once they have germinated.

Is your substrate fully submerged in the insta-pot? If the top of the substrate is not submerged, it will not pasteurize properly.

• babystepsbob likes this

#14 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 04:24 PM

Hey PJammer.  Actually the substrate is not at all submerged - the Instant Pot used a very small amount of water and then works mostly like a pressure canner - that is to say, it's sealed and uses steam.  I think I pasteurized for 1.5 hours, although that includes the getting up to temperature.  My prep tek has been admittedly bootlegged, but time and privacy (from kids) are big factors.  I mix my bulk up, put it in a turkey bag, and toss that in the Instant Pot.  Couldn't be any easier, although perhaps it's also ineffective.

I need to get some different gear - dealing with the soaking of straw is a hassle for me right now - I have nothing to keep it from floating.

As far as spawn, I was at 50/50 (I took into account that a quart jar is only actually a half quart of spawn).  I do think that my rye grain prep was just bad - I was using the method described by Hippie in the archives.  I started using RGS and the spawn just looks better to me.  The only success I've ever had with bulk was with popcorn, but what a hassle that is.

• babystepsbob likes this

#15 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 06:24 AM

I have not been able to bulk grow the pf strain. As a matter of fact when I finally got my jars to colonize and monotub fruit, I was told by some of the old skoolers that its a particularly difficult strain to work w. Personally I feel it's due to a very slow growing strain... so don't get discouraged
  • coorsmikey likes this

#16 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 06:43 AM

I really only got good results from BRF cakes. I tried grains, birdseed and popcorn. Ended up a gross mess. Pc, no pc. Didn't matter for me. I tried cakes to grain in the small jars(6oz or less).Nada.
I also found using smaller Jars helps more so with this particular strain bc(well I think so) it outruns any contams.

I don't quite understand why I can't get this muther to spawn to grain.

My advice is: do cakes and then crumble into a cased container and maybe crumble again if you want to go larger(?)
I'm very interested in this strain as it's the only one so far to allow me to have visual effects. Lsd doesn't work on me.

#17 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 09:48 AM

I'm sorry - when I say "PF" I'm meaning PF tek.  I'm working with Treasure Coast.

#18 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:39 AM

oh my bad .... I'm about to embark on that same journey now... the PF strain seems to be quite a bee-otch! cakes though are a blessing

much luck on your grow !!!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!