175 replies to this topic

#161 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2022 - 06:19 PM

An inch of soil casing over the top......the brain will grow right in and up through the soil........I used fresh potting soil from a big bag.....

I know it seems freaky to bury our babies like that but I'm telling you mine went stupid.....I'm hoping winter didn't do bad things......

I've only had my first solid successful fruiting of maitake hens last fall so we'll see......I fully intend on making more just like I did these and burying them......

Looking forward, although not in any haste as I'd like to enjoy some warmth again, to their fruiting time later this year (for us both now and anyone else putting them in)....

But until then I have arranged getting more logs....and plan plugging some oysters, and definitely LM too.....others depending on how many logs I can get....

And will continue to do so.......

A

• YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#162 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2022 - 11:44 AM

I did @Arathu end up burying the blocks all the way that day on the 8th, had some high winds and I had some leftover 50/50 top soil/compost and some of my own composted soil.  In the fall, I'll probably throw another light layer on top.  Your Hen was freakin' EPIC man, but I want some Maitake LOGS and I'll do more blocks too WTH right, play the numbers game. SOO hoping for some CotW too, oh the thrill of a bountiful harvest.  Never gets old!

MushL 

Edited by MushLuvR, 11 April 2022 - 11:45 AM.

• Arathu likes this

#163 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2022 - 06:38 PM

Alright ya'll, it's that time again, I went ahead and pasteurized some casing for the KO Blocks, and that's all she wrote for edibles at this time.  The Pink Oysters are still in the chamber, but nothing yet, looks close and the environment is great so there shouldn't be an issue... hopefully anyway.  Really excited for another KO block round since the last 4 were a failure, which isn't the normal for me and Kings.  Ahwell, just when you think you have it all figured out, U don't.  And I just love the smell of KO mycelium, a really nice sweet mushie smell. In a perfect world, I'll have PInks and Kings to finish up.  Good Stuff.  All the best to you and your projects.

P1140208.JPG

P1140209.JPG

Right before Casing

MushL  

Edited by MushLuvR, 13 April 2022 - 06:38 PM.

• Arathu and YoshiTrainer like this

#164 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2022 - 01:08 PM

Easter Sunday had a bit of Rain finally for a few days and the Valley sure soaked it up.  

The Pink Blocks are starting to show nice bumps happening, shouldn't be long now.

The KO's are on there way, I gave the blocks a misting the other day, was a bit dry so I repositioned the blocks closer to the humidity source and tightened up the range.  Otherwise, just doing what they do.

Went outside today and checked the compost pile since it rained and something usually pops up afterwards.  Most of the time, it's a Shiitake and today is no different.  Such a resilient Mushroom.  Happy Easter Everyone!

P1140280.JPG

P1140281.JPG

P1140282.JPG

How I found it

P1140283.JPG

P1140284.JPG

P1140286.JPG

P1140287.JPG

Cleaned Up My Easter Egg with the hose Sprayer on Fine Mist

MushL 

Edited by MushLuvR, 17 April 2022 - 01:09 PM.

• Arathu, Skywatcher, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#165 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2022 - 09:00 AM

Right on man that's sweet! I hope you get some massive hens for years to come......I hope I DO TOO......hahaha.

MORE logs are definitely in my future as I continue to make dirt for the acre.......

NOICE shiitake bonus there man....

A

• MushLuvR likes this

#166 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2022 - 11:29 AM

Hey Folks, the Martha is shutdown and I threw away the plastic portion and kept the guts for a possible project... Who knows.  Enjoyed the run with this tent, but she has had issues for awhile now and it's time for a New Start.  

Well it finally happened, I've ran many blocks and I finally mislabeled two.  I thought I was fruiting Pink Oysters, and I was wondering what was taking so long and BAM, a Reishi fruit pops from one of the blocks.  Bummer there, I really

wanted another taste of the Pinks, so delicious.  

P1140354.JPG

Didn't take a more recent picture, but it's Reishi (Color change and Smell)

The King Oyster Blocks were kicked outside, even cased, they just aren't fruiting, I may have to start over with the Kings.  I've never had trouble fruiting KO blocks so I'm baffled, maybe they didn't like the continuous Air like some of the other blocks that didn't make it, like the Beech Clam.  The King Blues sure did like the environment, but Oysters thrive in continuous Air environments, I was very successful cycling the Fan for Air so I'll be going back to that arrangement with the new Tent.  I'm also going to put the hose at the very top of the tent.  Many of the passive holes for Air over time have stretched and I've had to use masking tape for some of them since it would be WAY too much Air and kick on the humidifier too much.  Zippers going bad, one was really close to done for, and some rips in the side, it's just time to let it go.  35 bucks WELL spent.  There is always the thrill of getting a new setup dialed in, I track everything so it won't be difficult with all the Data from previous years/grows.  I'll update here and there and share some of the behind the scenes work.  Here is my Shiitake culture from a very dry plate that I was a little worried about.  Took longer to jump off the wedge, but once it did, growing quickly now.  Take Care and ALL the Best.

P1140517.JPG

MushL 

Edited by MushLuvR, 09 May 2022 - 11:33 AM.

• Arathu, jkdeth, ElPirana and 3 others like this

#167 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2022 - 06:46 PM

What's going on Topiates, just getting ahead this year for Polypores, I shot up two Maitake jars, Wine Cap, and I have two test jars at 60 minutes sterilized which will be Reishi and Turkey Tail.  Both just RIP through seeds with No issues.  I cut back my block times to 2 hrs with No issues and if I could go to 60 minutes instead of 90 for grains, ALL the better time wise and energy savings.  I just pulled the Reishi and TT syringes from the fridge, so I'll inoculate those tomorrow sometime.  One of the Maitake jars is already showing growth in just over a day.  I'm going to use one of the Maitake blocks for logs, and the others hopefully for another shot at indoor.  If not, I'll bury those like I did 3 this year of the 5.  I'm hopeful for some clean Wine Cap spawn, not sure what happen, but the LC is clean for sure.  Thinking too big of a squirt maybe and went soggy (betting Wet Spot), it happens.  All the Best Folks with your science projects!   :meditate:

MushL

Edited by MushLuvR, 01 June 2022 - 07:56 PM.

• Arathu, YoshiTrainer and Auhron like this

#168 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2022 - 12:46 PM

Alright guys, Edibles going decent, not happy with the Maitake and Wine Cap stalling a bit, seems to be ok, but the grains look fine (I did shake them twice, and the first time I've overfilled them with oats too much I think), and I have other jars from the same batch fully colonized and perfect.  The crazy thing is.... I did 2 test jars at 60min sterilization and those two have been colonized for a while now and the other 3 are 90mins and slow as molasses in January.  The two 60min jars are from the same prepped batch as the 90 mins so who knows, the LC's are perfect and no issues, source is excellent.  This damn wine cap keeps it up, I'll just buy some sawdust spawn and call it a day.  I may do a Rye berry run soon anyway, but Oats aren't the problem, MANY runs with Oats, my GoTo.

The TT and Reishi are SO fast to colonize, maybe 8 days, I've been lagging on making some blocks is all, they are on Standby just waiting on yours truly.  The Wine Cap looks to be recovering and the Maitake jars, but I'm not going to get excited until I see good active fast growth again.  All the Best to your projects and experiments.  :meditate: 

P1140656.JPG

P1140657.JPG  

MushL

• Arathu, ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#169 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2022 - 01:05 PM

First 4 blocks of the season, wasn't happy with the TT, smelled fine but a hint of fermentation, probably ok and I will know fast since it blasts through pellets quickly.  The Reishi smelled wonderful, one of my favorites to Sniff.  Just getting ahead of the season even more so this round (Long fruiting cycle for polypores).  I have some shiitake 3782 spawn in the fridge I'm going to drop to pellets (mix of hwfp) in a week or so for some October Shiitakes.  The Plan gets more refined over time and experience, part of the thrill for me.  

Oh, these are Un supplemented FIR pellet blocks sterilized for 2 hours.  TT will grow on anything, and Reishi grows naturally on Fir as well so, shouldn't be an issue.  The blocks get half a myco quart of Oats, plenty of supplementation for these polypore's.  Fast colonizers, SLOW fruiting cycle, what can you do.   :meditate:

P1140690.JPG

MushL

• Arathu, ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#170 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:11 PM

The gaining of patience and the thrill of the always joyous surprise of pins.........are worth the wait....IMHO

I'm always like "Hell yeah....it worked!"

A

Edited by Arathu, 21 June 2022 - 07:13 PM.

• ElPirana, Auhron and MushLuvR like this

#171 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:17 AM

Me too... @Arathu, no matter how many times we do this, it never gets old seeing clean spawn, clean blocks, and those FIRST pins make it ALL worth it.  TT jumping off FAST, Reishi, just starting, not bad for a single Day of growth.   :meditate:

P1140692.JPG

P1140694.JPG

MushL

• Arathu, ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#172 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:58 AM

I enjoy watching how fast they grow up, right around a full 2 days.

TT really starting to Kick in Gear.

P1140695.JPG

P1140699.JPG

Reishi recovered nicely and doing it's thing.  Woodie blocks for life.  

P1140697.JPG

P1140698.JPG

MushL

• bezevo, ElPirana and YoshiTrainer like this

#173 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2022 - 12:09 PM

Blocks can't be stopped Now.  Day 5

TT

P1140716.JPG

P1140718.JPG

Reishi (Lucidium)

P1140719.JPG

P1140720.JPG

The last pic(block) has that crown over the top with the island effect going on.  Definitely No problems tearing thru the Fir pellets.  Group Shot below.  

P1140722.JPG

The Wine Cap spawn is looking good and growing fast, STILL on the fence with the Maitake, it isn't contaminated or anything, but slow... the last day or so looks to be speeding up so we Shall C.   :meditate:

P1140723.JPG

MushL

Edited by MushLuvR, 26 June 2022 - 12:10 PM.

• bezevo, ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#174 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2022 - 04:10 AM

This is how you get food, too much food. 

• MushLuvR likes this

#175 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2022 - 11:45 AM

Well, I'm over this Maitake, it spurted then fizzled, I dumped it this morning.  Strong fermentation smell, I guess I could have tried for grain alcohol?   :laugh:   All joking aside, I'm over this Maitake not even giving up a Maitake brain (well One block 2 seasons ago) at least after 5-6 months colonizing with nothing.  I did bury 3 of 5 (lost 1 to PC malfunction and the other during fruiting) so not a complete loss, but I'm not one to bitch about it or get down so I have decided to spend up for the commercial Maitake.  I want to grow these indoors and Out (for a long time) and I feel in my heart this is the correct step to take in the right direction.  A little pricey, but like "they" say... you get what you pay for.  The furthest I've been indoors below.  I eventually want Maitake on a cycle since they take forever to even start fruiting.  CHALLENGE Accepted!

P1100010.JPG

The Wine Cap seeds are about ready, and I'll be pulling out the Shiitake spawn in the fridge soon to get back to room temp.  All goes well, I'll be 8 blocks ahead of the season.  Was hoping for 10 with the Maitake, but I'm switching gears.  Hoping for a good 4th of July sale at this point, maybe grab the Morel esculenta.... I'm ready to start that project since it could take a while to get fruits, or maybe not ever so... LONG-term Goals.

MushL 

Edited by MushLuvR, 27 June 2022 - 11:47 AM.

• bezevo, ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#176 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Hey Happy Eve of Independence Day... I went ahead and bought the Dancing Hens Commercial Maitake and the Morchella Esculenta (last night).  25% Off and a free Random syringe (Patience Pays Dividends).  

I'm also almost finished sterilizing 4 blocks currently, 2 Shiitake and 2 Wine Cap bags for spawn.  The Shiitake bags are lightly supplemented (Under half a cup), and the Wine Caps are a mix of Fir Pellets and Oak (3cups Oak/2cups Fir... No Rice Bran).  I should be receiving those LC syringes Wednesday or Thursday of next week, always fast shipping, but with the Holiday it is what it is.  No worries and NO hurry.  Not true in a sense, been dying to play with Morels and finally get a Wine Cap bed Rocking some fruits.  All the best and BE Safe Fungus Folks.

MushL  

• YoshiTrainer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!