• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:42 AM

It’s not caddy shack definitely the wizard of shnoz.

#22 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2021 - 06:05 AM

I will never question your Caddy Shack knowledge again, August :)

I still don't remember the name of the movie I'm thinking about, and I made the mistake of typing some of the key words into google to see if something would jog my memory.  I really should have known better then that.  Lets just say I was suddenly reminded that I have the adult content filter turned off....     :huh:   :blink:  :ohmy:

If you really used Google, at least you'll probably get some great advertisements for the latest toys and gear, now...
  • Juthro likes this

#23 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,932 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2021 - 04:10 PM

I am laughing at that wizard of shnoz joke for all the wrong reasons  :biggrin: 

#24 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,700 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:42 AM

Well damn, turns out that the Carrington Event was only a minor hiccup as far as the Sun goes.

[Direct Link]

If the currents induced in metal are as intense as described then any teeth with metal fillings might pop like popcorn during such an event, and anyone wearing jewelry will regret it.

If anything close to the above happens during an "excursion event" (of Earth's magnetic field) then it might even strip some (or a lot) of our atmosphere away.

[Direct Link]

Edited by TVCasualty, 03 October 2021 - 10:49 AM.

#25 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 02:24 PM

1970's

Larry Niven short story. Inconstant Moon.
Twilight zone adapted the story but the book is better.

Short version Dude calls up old girlfriend at midnight and takes her out on the town. The moon is shining scary bright and few people understand what is happening. TV is not working due to interference and phones don't work either. They go to clubs and bars. He keeps taking her to different places just before someone figures it out and panics everyone at the club, he has rushed them out to his car to go somewhere different. She finally tells him to stop. She figured it out while waiting for him to come pick her up. They spend the night together and welcome the blazing dawn in each others arms. The end.

His version of a mega X class flare event.

#26 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,739 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2021 - 06:44 PM

If the currents induced in metal are as intense as described then any teeth with metal fillings might pop like popcorn during such an event, and anyone wearing jewelry will regret it.

For this reason, electrical workers do not wear wedding rings, necklaces, wrist-watches, etc.....while at work.

I cannot wear digital watches - ever. Even under the best of circumstances the electronics are "smoked" when I enter a high-voltage corona or while using an amp-meter and other instrumentation to take readings. Apparently, some folks are more "conductive" than others. Not everyone experiences the phenomenon that I have described.

• pharmer, Arathu and Juthro like this

#27 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,955 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2021 - 06:59 PM

POOF............hate it when I let the smoke out.....

A

• Myc, Juthro and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#28 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,932 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:45 PM

Oh yeah once the magic smoke is released she never works

• Myc and Juthro like this

#29 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 08:40 PM

https://www.youtube....wU7d4xXjFUPVXgQ

this is the site I cited in the OP.  This dude is out to lunch. Every day a new "sky is falling" calamity.

his predictions seem to disappear too. tried to find the presentation he gave the day I made the OP. It was pretty convincing. Used NASA and Space WEather data and charts to draw a fairly dire picture of CME's being spit out by the sun in big numbers and aimed right at earth.

THEN..........................................Nothing Happened

My apologies.

It will happen someday but I think the dude will be as clueless about it happening as I will be.

• Juthro likes this

#30 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,649 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 12:55 AM

There have been some pretty good auroras lately.   Our coastal weather has kept us in clouds, so I didn't see them here, but reportedly there have been some pretty good shows around the state.  So there was definitely a notable solar event, it just wasn't that one in a billion perfect shot that fries the worlds electrical grid. 

Statistics, and Murphy's law both say it will happen some day, but I'm still glad it wasn't today :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!