• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 09:53 AM

Figured I'd outline my process as it's quick and dirty. 

​I use Tupperware's the smaller and closer to petri sized the better. If you don't make filters and leave them unmodified I'm pretty sure you don't even need foil. The foil is a redundancy and makes me feel more sterile as the plates sit in my lab. 

The standard recipe

• 500ml Water
  • 10g malt extract (light or whatever is cheapest)
  • 10g agar

Modified sticky

• 500mL water
  • 8g malt
  • 8g agar

Standard is too stiff for my fumbling. I prefer less agar to make it more adhesive. Lower nutrients saves me money and some claim gives better chance at rhizomorphic growth. 

Lately I prefer using left over boiled grain water diluted by eye. Additives to consider are wood, manure, compost, charcoal, food dyes, gypsum, coffee, and anything else mushrooms enjoy. 

Learn the standard or modified then use your eyes to keep the color in check. Remove agar and you got LC.

The Process

Make near boiling water and add your dry ingredients. Stir till mostly dissolved, PC will take care of rest. If you are a clean freak use an immersion blender and strainer/coffee filter to remove non-dissolvable materials. 

tupper.JPG

Wrap lids in foil.

foiled.JPG

Load PC and vent for 10 minutes, bring to pressure and cook for 40mins. 

After full cycle, shut off heat, once gauge is at 0, weight dropped, open lid, swirl plates, and stack as they allow. If condensation is an issue try a hot cup on top.
You may have better luck waiting till PC is cooled so it is easier to handle. I just prefer to swirl and dissolve and stack. 

Please ask for clarifications. 

• Sidestreet, Salty117 and Oldpunk like this

#2 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 667 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2021 - 11:07 AM

Nice. I used your Tupperware advice on my last grow.

I decided I really like larger surface area of Tupperware containers when germinating from spores. It let me spread out the spores and pick from the best growth areas.

I also tried the grain water agar. Grew out a couple clone plates ok. But I lost focus and let all my agar go .
  • rockyfungus likes this

#3 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 02:14 PM

Haha I never compared growth. It works and it’s reusing water.

Yea huge is great for germ plates. I just get contaminates from my wrists. Sandwich boxes work great to compare cultures. 

cyansandwhich.JPG

Edited by rockyfungus, 12 September 2021 - 02:18 PM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,105 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2021 - 03:40 AM

I do like using an immersion blender to get all the lumps out.  :)

• rockyfungus likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!