• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SelfTransformingMachineElf

SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 10:14 AM

Pasteurization can be a pain in the ass.  If you're one of the lucky ones, you've got plenty of free time and no prying eyes (especially little ones), so you can make a mess.

I have very little free time.  I was desperate for an easy way to pasteurize bulk substrates.  I have an oven, but in the summer it heats the house up so much, and is pretty inefficient.  Also, I'm concerned with the substrate drying out.

That's when I decided that I would try to pasteurize in an Instant Pot.  Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built one all the same - just to show them.  It sank into the swamp.

Ah wait.  I was hopeful that the Instant Pot pasteurization would be an easy fix.  The process sure was easy - turkey bag full of spawn, closed up, plopped into the Instant Pot with the little riser to keep it off the bottom.  Steam pasteurization at presumably 160 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour and a half.

It failed.  Cobweb mold everywhere.  Was it the pasteurization, or was the sub too wet?  Not enough air?

PFJammer gave the first indication that my pasteurization time was lacking.  So I bumped it up to two hours.

And I can happily report success.

Another upside of the Instant Pot is that it is a well-insulated container.  This means that the energy expenditure for running the Instant Pot is low.  Once it gets up to temperature, maintaining the temperature is very easy.  I may in-line a gauge to figure out exactly how much power it's drawing over the two hours.  I suspect that it is pretty low.  Perhaps even in in the range of boiling water for a cooler-style pasteurization.

Lastly - this is safe!  No need to worry about monitoring the oven (these accidents do happen).  The Instant Pot is smart - it shuts itself off when it senses failure.

This process is very easy.  I highly recommend it.  Easy - efficient - safe.  For under $200.  I know that's a fair amount of money to some.  But the Instant Pot is just generally a useful thing to own.  10/10 - would buy again.

• Boebs, clumsy, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#2 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,161 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2021 - 10:45 AM

Sounds like a good write up is needed!
I have a nice instant pot!

#3 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 01:14 PM

That was supposed to be my nice write-up.  :cries:  Guess it reads more like an infomercial.  I'll work on it.  If you want to give it a try, here's the long and short:
Turkey bag stuffed with substrate and just twisted off.  Use the grate that comes with the Instant Pot, fill water until the water line is nearly to the grate.  Put in turkey bag.  Yogurt setting, temp 170 degree Fahrenheit for 2 hours.  Let cool in Instant Pot.

Win.

Edited by SelfTransformingMachineElf, 12 September 2021 - 01:15 PM.

• MsBehavin420 and rockyfungus like this

#4 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 02:11 PM

Yep or whatever container fits and is PP5.

Keep warm and forget it works for me.
  • SelfTransformingMachineElf likes this

#5 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 03:15 PM

I've thought about trying some containers.  Right now I'm using the turkey bags and dumping into containers.  Sure would be convenient to just pasteurize in place.

#6 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 953 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2021 - 04:51 PM

What model instant pot are you using?

Thanks for sharing the experience, sounds promising to me!

#7 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 09:48 PM

The Ultra 80, ElPirana.

• ElPirana likes this

#8 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 667 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2021 - 10:31 PM

I liked your Holy grail reference.

And I like the info. I use my oven and like the results. But I certainly don't have lots of time and I have to be wary of small prying eyes. (I for one think I'm one of the lucky to have those problems)

I'd like to get a small lab set up with all I need isolated within. Seems like this may be something to consider when that time comes.

#9 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,205 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2021 - 11:50 PM

i took the turkey roasting bag oven tek you can find in the archives and ,i use two two electric turkey roasters with a few tweaks .................

Edited by bezevo, 12 September 2021 - 11:51 PM.

#10 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:59 AM

OldPunk - the thing is, the Instant Pot is silent.  I'm not sure how old your kids are - but I can reliably expect to be up for a few hours after mine are in bed.  So it's just so simple.  And since the Instant Pot is a ubiquitous kitchen gadget which we use every day anyway, there's no question asked - not even one formed!

But you are right - an Instant Pot would also go great in an isolated room - just so simple.  I'm in love with the Instant Pot all over again.  Next, I'm getting the air fryer attachment for chicken wings!

#11 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 667 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2021 - 02:48 PM

Mmmmmm chicken wings...

When I use my oven it's at night....let it cool overnight and remove substrate pans in the morning. But I've had to play off why the clock reads 170 a few times. I'm currently taking a break from growing until I finish a dedicated lab space.

Now if I just didn't have those other 1 million projects I'd be in business.

#12 GlitchInSpace

GlitchInSpace

whitethumb

• OG VIP
  • 1,106 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:50 PM

i use a sous vide and it works perfect every time.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!