• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,683 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:35 AM

This guy's videos are well-worth a watch, or even just a listen if you're on a long road trip or at work goofing off or whatever: https://www.dancarli...history-series/

The videos I've watched so far convinced me to actually purchase some of his others, and I almost never pay for content, lol.

Some samples (attention span required):

[Direct Link]

When this one ended I was surprised since it seemed a lot shorter than 4 and a half hours (sure made my work day seem shorter, lol):

[Direct Link]

I found out about him from Lex Fridman, and finding out about people like Carlin is one of the reasons I'm a fan of Fridman:

[Direct Link]

• August West and ElPirana like this

#2 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2021 - 10:44 AM

I have listened to Carlin long enough that I got a lot of listens in prior to the pay walls going up. I can heartily endorse, off the top of my head, Wrath of the Khans (about the Mongol empire. Yep, all thirteen hours, if I remember) and Ghosts of the Ost Front (about the "real" fight of WWII between the Soviets and Germans - absolutely fucking brutal) To paraphrase a fucking retarted American trope, "We'd all be speaking German if it wasn't for the Soviets."

I don't think they did videos initially. I wonder when they went that route? Another one I just remembered was called History Under the Influence (I think). About whether opium influenced Napoleon's unusually poor decision making at Waterloo. Whether Stalin went MIA during Hitler's invasion due to alcohol and Hitler and his own highly medicated self...

Edited by August West, 19 September 2021 - 11:21 AM.

• TVCasualty and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,683 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2021 - 04:23 PM

I don't think they did videos initially. I wonder when they went that route? Another one I just remembered was called History Under the Influence (I think). About whether opium influenced Napoleon's unusually poor decision making at Waterloo. Whether Stalin went MIA during Hitler's invasion due to alcohol and Hitler and his own highly medicated self...

Carlin's "videos" are only videos because it's Youtube. They're just audio recordings with a picture to look at while you listen. My initial description made it seem otherwise but that's only because I brain farted, I guess (doh!).

Edited by TVCasualty, 24 September 2021 - 04:26 PM.

#4 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 953 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:53 PM

I finally finished that first video above. Only took me a week of sporadically listening to get through it. I like the way he presented the information, and even though it was six hours long, it did hold my attention. I’m looking forward to the others.

#5 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2021 - 12:04 PM

I have listened to Carlin long enough that I got a lot of listens in prior to the pay walls going up. I can heartily endorse, off the top of my head, Wrath of the Khans (about the Mongol empire. Yep, all thirteen hours, if I remember) and Ghosts of the Ost Front (about the "real" fight of WWII between the Soviets and Germans - absolutely fucking brutal) To paraphrase a fucking retarted American trope, "We'd all be speaking German if it wasn't for the Soviets."

Wait America won ww2 cause they dropped the bombs right..... :biggrin:  Sure is true when they say the victor writes history

You need not look any further for proof of propaganda in Hollywood than when it comes to the glamorization of "the greatest generation" and their war.

For the average military loving soul who has been submersed in it, the effects are so strong that a statement like that is bound to pop their fuse .

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!