13 replies to this topic

#1 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2021 - 09:43 PM

With the many dismal failures this year in the garden, I am assuming due to the early arriving and continual relentless heat, we are finally seeing some cooler weather for fall, with a few more withering days and wind mixed in.

I am very happy to see the Pomegranates seem to have fared well through it all. I have found the birds are a perfect indicator of when they are at peak ripeness. As soon as I see them picking holes in the skin to hollow them out, I know I need to get out there and harvest enough to make my annual batch of Pomegranate jelly. I also separate some of the biggest and reddest fruits to eat as is and share with a few neighbors and family.

This is my first haul after I have washed and cleaned them for eating and juicing. The prep for the jelly is time consuming and messy, but well worth it. I'll share more pics when I get that stage going.....

post-126525-0-91523500-1632796908.jpg

Pomogranites cleaned and ready 2.jpg

Pomogranites cleaned and ready.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 27 September 2021 - 09:46 PM.

• Coopdog, ethnobotanist420, ElPirana and 3 others like this

#2 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2021 - 02:40 AM

They look delicious!

I haven’t had a pomegranate in a long time... I think I’m gonna go grab one tomorrow lol
  • Skywatcher likes this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:26 AM

Ethno !

Nice to see you my friend....

• ethnobotanist420 likes this

#4 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,299 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:32 PM

Those look perfect Skywatcher! Years ago, during season, there was a gentleman that sold gallon jugs of refrigerated fresh pressed pom juice. It made great jelly! I love removing all the seeds to a bowl and chilling them in the fridge. It must be about elderberry season too.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#5 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:47 AM

Ethno !
Nice to see you my friend....

Nice to see you as well, brother!

I’ve been called home again it seems... hopefully I can keep my head out of my ass and stick around more consistently this time lol
  • Skywatcher likes this

#6 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 07:59 AM

Nice ! I’ve wanted to give those a go ! Pom jelly sounds bomb .

#7 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,432 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:44 AM

NIce, don't know why but I thought Poms were grown only in the Mideast

The bride and I are considering moving south. If so I'd really like to have my own mango, lemon, avacado, and lime trees.

The most be some very labor intensive labor to squeeze jelly out of Pom seeds?

• Skywatcher likes this

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2021 - 09:08 AM

There must be some very labor intensive labor to squeeze jelly out of Pom seeds?

I will be starting that today, and yes, it takes a good long while. I used to be more meticulous about it, but have found I can get most of it with a hand held orange reamer. I then have to hand squeeze with layers of cheesecloth to get the un-crushed seeds. Once I have the lions share, I filter it through multi-layer cheesecloth again, and let it stand in the refrigerator overnight.

The next morning I can pour the clear juice off and leave any solids that settled out behind. I like it clear like garnet red in the jelly...

The recipe will get in here in a bit.

Edited by Skywatcher, 29 September 2021 - 03:56 PM.

• Myc and YoshiTrainer like this

#9 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,432 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2021 - 01:14 PM

Maybe you could make a centrifuge and spin the crushed liquid off?

Lots of kitchen chemists spin stuff with improvised computer fans and other at-hand stuff.

Spin what's willing to part from the crushed seeds and filter the spun off liquid one more time?

Edited by pharmer, 29 September 2021 - 01:14 PM.

• Skywatcher and YoshiTrainer like this

#10 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2021 - 10:11 PM

Maybe you could make a centrifuge and spin the crushed liquid off?

Having a good amount to work with, I am not that concerned about trying to get every drop. Other than gifting some away, this is personal use so I don't need more than 9 cups of juice for three batches.

This is about half way through the juicing process. I really love this huge red bowl. Believe it or not it gets used more often than you might think.

(@pharmer Notice my high tech juicing tool on the right bottom)

Half way through.jpg

Doing this by hand, with lot of very heavy squeezing after using the little wood reamer, every callous and finger on my hands will be stained for a few days..........

Here is my final tally of filtered juice. It needs to settle overnight in the fridge, but I will still end up with around 10-11 cups of clear dark garnet red juice.

First filtered juice.jpg

The recipe is really simple if you have ever made jelly.

Prepare jars and lids by sterilizing in boiling water 10 minutes.

3 cups of juice + 1/2 cup of water in stock pot

Add one package of pectin

4 cups of sugar in a bowl set to the side

1 small pat of butter (to keep foam down)

Bring juice, pectin, and small amount of butter to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Add sugar and return to a full rolling boil. Boil exactly one minute, stirring constantly, and then remove from heat. Ladle into jars immediately, wipe any spillage off and put lids on.

Place closed jars in a big enough pot to cover 1" with water and boil 5 to 10 minutes, then place jars on a towel to cool and check that lids are tight.

Back tomorrow with pics of the end product....

• GORF, ElPirana, FLASHINGROOSTER and 1 other like this

#11 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2021 - 06:18 PM

Finished up yesterday, with just enough juice for 3 batches.

It passed the taste test with flying colors. It has a nice bit of tartness to go with the sweet.

I make quite alot of this because we use it as a glaze on ham or chicken sometimes, and also to glaze the fruit topping on a cheesecake.

Most of it does go on toast or English muffins.

I love the color of this jelly.........

Dark Red Jelly.jpg

The final tally...

Final Tally.jpg

• Coopdog, ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#12 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,306 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2021 - 02:03 PM

Amazon.com: Lemon Squeezer, Detachable Juicer Hand Press Heavy Duty Orange Juice Squeezer for Pressing Lemons, Oranges, Pomegranates: Home & Kitchen

Sky, I picked up one of these last year. I could not be more pleased with it. Works amazing for Pomegranite as well and gets quite a bit more juice than I can get with the ones that you ream the fruit with. They work GREAT and was money well spent. Might wanna look into one for juicing all those beautiful fruits!

EDIT: I see you are already done. That stuff looks amazing! I know that was a lot of work juicing those things! Maybe a thought for next year :)

Edited by Coopdog, 02 October 2021 - 02:08 PM.

• Skywatcher and YoshiTrainer like this

#13 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,996 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2021 - 05:05 PM

Thank you Coop !!!

I have never seen one like that, only the small lemon squeezer I have, which would never work for pomegranates. I can tell by looking at all the images that would work perfectly. I saved it on my Amazon wish list to pick up later. I do this every year and ruin my hands by squeezing out as much juice as I can get after using the reamer.

Might not be in time for this year, but I will definitely be using one of those next year. Also I would likely use even more of the pomegranates on the tree to just have juice. I love a good pomegranate vodka martini on occasion..........................

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#14 KunLong

KunLong

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 03:56 PM

Artery cleaner I need right now. Pomegranate is magic stuff. It was a bit weird in new mexico this year too, at the start.

Edited by KunLong, 01 November 2021 - 03:57 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!