• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jenny212

jenny212

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:43 PM

Hi everyone, I am in the process of setting up my first Shotgun Fruiting Chamber and am trying to figure out the lighting.  

After reading and researching older posts on this forum, everyone recommends using a 6500K bulb.  I found this one online and wanted to see if this one is good - 

https://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-26352-Light-Bulb-6500K-Daylight/dp/B07J4T5XG1

Is this bulb good to use or should I use something else?

My shotgun fruiting chamber is 16 in. width x 24 in. length, so should I use one bulb or two bulbs?  

Lastly, how far should I keep the bulb from the fruting chamber?  

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by jenny212, 29 September 2021 - 12:45 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#2 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 507 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2021 - 01:27 PM

I have a Complex setup... WAIT for IT...

P1110415.JPG

Extension cord, Plug to Socket Adapter,

and Splitter.  The Splitter isn't necessary, but

I like it so I can keep the bulb off the tent and the 

reflective wall.  Thank you White Walls.  I've

used 5000K in a pinch being a Cheap Ass and just

what I already had on hand, but stick to 6500K bulbs, I use

the same exact bulb you have listed.  That bulb will

put out more than enough Lumens, won't matter how close it is

to the chamber(just position the bulb to light the entire chamber, certain angles can shadow the corners or maybe Not in your configuration). 

Edited by MushLuvR, 29 September 2021 - 01:29 PM.

#3 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2021 - 09:26 AM

Hahaha. Yo MushLuvr. That picture looks like it came from the set of Alien.

The light and the distance from chamber don't really matter. I used a 20$ grow light strip from the local home improvement store and it worked great. Also tried some led light strips and a single 75w grow bulb and they work too. But the lights just there to let them know which way is up. It doesn't provide the energy to grow like It does in plants.

So.... One bulb is plenty.

Doesn't really matter what kind it is.

Distance doesn't matter much either.

If you're setting up your first grow chamber how are you doing it? My first try was a shotgun chamber covered in air holes but I decided an unmodified tub worked best for where I'm at.

Good luck on the grow
  • rockyfungus and MushLuvR like this

#4 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 507 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2021 - 10:20 AM

Hahaha (Original Alien Movie :biggrin: )... I took the picture in between my hose and the Blue light did the rest.   :smoking-hookah:

Edited by MushLuvR, 30 September 2021 - 10:20 AM.

#5 jenny212

jenny212

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for both of your help MushLuvR and Old Punk!  Both of your answers were tremendously helpful!

@OldPunk - oh wow, I never heard of an unmodified tub.  Right now I'm using a shotgun chamber.  Why did you go with unmodified tub instead of a shotgun chamber?  

• MushLuvR likes this

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,599 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2021 - 11:44 AM

No photosynthesis involved. Almost any light will give you good results. There is some evidence that blue spectrum will aid in better pin sets but beyond that I wouldn't worry too much about lighting or how many hours a day it is on... I have had great results with ambient lighting around my curtains and I have had similar results with artificial lighting. I have also just thrown on the incandescent ceiling mounted bulb for 3-6 hours a day and have pretty much gotten the same results.

Just make sure they get a little light each day so they know which direction to grow and you should be good. If you wanna get a blue spectrum bulb, 450nm-ish, you might see slightly better results.

• Baphom3t and MushLuvR like this

#7 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2021 - 04:23 PM

My ventilated shotgun fruiting chamber (which I made after reading a grow guide from elsewhere online) it seemed to dry out too much. I tried BRF cakes and they just didn't sprout pins. So since they seemed too dry I tried misting the cakes. That made it worse.

I ended up ripping my first cakes into chunks and putting them into an unmodified clear tote with perlite at the bottom and they finally grew a few mushrooms. It just couldn't maintain the humidity.

It depends on your location and of course different people have better results in different setups. My suggestion is to try both. See What works best.

#8 jenny212

jenny212

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 04:23 PM

Thanks PJammer24 for the input and help! :)

#9 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 816 posts

Donator

Posted 30 September 2021 - 09:40 PM

I use nothing but natural ambient light from the windows for my grows and it has never failed.

• Myc and MushLuvR like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!